• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Non-Restorative Sleep in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, Fibromyalgia and Chronic or Long Covid is A… (Aguirre-Chang et al, 2022)

Non-Restorative Sleep in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, Fibromyalgia and Chronic or Long Covid is Associated with Immobility which Causes Stasis or Stagnation of Blood Flow and Hypoperfusion.
Investigations and treatments should be directed at the vascular level considering persistent infections that affect blood vessels and cells as the most frequent cause

Abstract

Non-Restorative Sleep (NRS) is the feeling of not having rested after sleeping. Prolonged
immobilization has been shown to cause stasis or stagnation of blood flow.

In the 1990s, the cases of travelers who presented thrombosis due to prolonged
immobilization during a long-term trip were called economy class syndrome. Similarly,
during the 6 to 8 hours of sleep that a person remains immobilized, there will be a greater
stagnation or slowing of blood flow, which is called blood stasis and is recognized as one
of the factors that increases the risk of thrombus or clot formation.

In Chronic or Prolonged COVID, although the NRS is not included among the most
frequent symptoms, other symptoms associated with decreased blood flow and its
stagnation are frequently mentioned, such as numbness or stiffness, tingling and muscle
pain, which usually occur with greater intensity when waking up after sleeping.

Some studies have identified the presence of hypercoagulability and persistent clots in
about 80% of CFS/ME cases. Blood stasis is added to this state of hypercoagulability due
to immobilization during sleep, which will produce greater hypoperfusion, causing the
intensification of symptoms associated with hypoperfusion, especially at the level of the
most peripheral or distal areas of the body, where blood circulation reaches with greater
difficulty, such as the hands, feet and legs.

According to what has been described, it is concluded that the NRS that occurs in CFS/ME
and Fibromyalgia becomes a symptom more associated with Hypoperfusion, Entothelial
Dysfunction and Hypercoagulability.

Considering what has been described, investigations and treatments should be directed
at the vascular level, since the main triggering cause would be persistent endothelial
dysfunction and inflammation, which is most often caused by the presence of persistent
infections by viruses, bacteria or other microorganisms.

The study: https://www.researchgate.net/public...ES_STASIS_OR_STAGNATION_OF_BLOOD_FLOW_AND_HYP

Last edited by a moderator:

Rufous McKinney

I think what is confusing me (super easy for me to get confused, so there).....is......

the implication that immobility is causing the blood stasis.

when its our vascular system causing the stagnation.

I have been trying to move around a bit more immediately after I get up, for the logical reason of...lets get some blood moving here a bit....

and most of those symptoms described, I don't really experience them that often. but sleep sure is unrefreshing.

and I think thats tied to glymphatics. the brain being flushed, cleaned. While sleeping.

I think its an interresting explanation for unrefreshing sleep. I have been speculating that the unrefreshing sleep is just something like remaining fatigue from the previous day or maybe neurological. Dunno how solid this explanation is though.

Wishful

I haven't noticed any circulatory problems. I think the 'don't feel rested' symptom is a neurological disfunction that merely feels like lack of of sleep. I only got about 2 hrs sleep last night, but I don't feel less rested because of it. If anything, I feel more energetic than normal.

Doing exertion that gets my blood pumping more does nothing for that 'don't feel rested' symptom, so I consider that counterevidence for their hypothesis.

lenora

Yes, I often used to go days and days without any sleep and actually felt better for it. Why? Yes, there were times during the day when I would suddenly become exhausted, but never slept and rallied by bedtime. It didn't matter what I did. In other words, sleeping vs non sleep made very little difference....and I was always busy, so there wasn't even a boredom component. I never nap....don't even feel the need to, but the explanation is totally elusive.

I'm now 75, but for well over 30-35 years I suffered from the exact same sleep problems. In the beginning it was sleeping well (total exhaustion), then became sleeping but being aware of every person around me, conversations....typical FM sleep. Then it became no sleep and finally sleeping again. I learned not to fight it and just get on with living my life as much as possible.

If I get at least 4 hrs./night I can function just fine. I've had brain surgery (many years ago) and just wonder if the fall simply shook up some part of the sleep center. In the end is this: Who knows? Yours Lenora

Rufous McKinney

Then it became no sleep and finally sleeping again. I learned not to fight it and just get on with living my life as much as possible.

congratulations , @lenora...for achieving this improved sleep. I recall when you were really struggling on almost zero sleep. This is such great news!

lenora

Thanks @Rufous McKinney. Yes, my insomnia went on for so many years that I can't remember the count.

I'm enjoying whatever phase I'm in now....can only hope that it will last but it has nothing to do with any extra drugs or supplements of any sort. It just is, the same way it didn't happen.

I do try to keep my mind occupied when I go to sleep. For me, it's praying for people who need it (thinking of them in a good way), for others it can take the form of counting sheep....anything that's positive, really. I just don't let my mind wander in the least....for now I'm in a semi-peaceful place in my life and it's good to know.

Still, when it comes down to it, I think I've finally grasped the idea that we have so very little control over many things and that helps. I just help in the best way I can....and that's all that can be done. I feel lighter as a result of it and yes, I have many serious things concerning my own health that I could worry about. In the end though....why? I have no formal religion anymore, but do feel a part of something. That's important and it can be done in so many ways for so many others.

All in all, I can't explain things anymore than the rest of you. I'm just content....but remember that I'm 75 yrs. old. It takes time to reach that place. I wish all of you sweet dreams. Yours, Lenora

MonkeyMan

Interesting article, Consul, thanks for posting!
I feel much more energetic on 4 hours sleep than 6.
8 hours of sleep leaves me feeling like I was run over by a bus.
Sometimes I wonder if its because my body is (over-) producing some kind of antibody when I sleep.

Rufous McKinney

8 hours of sleep leaves me feeling like I was run over by a bus.

I' ve been trying this new probiotic and its affected the sleep cycle. Instead of my ten hour slog, I seem to be sleeping about eight hours.

maybe that is an improvement. I"m observing it. I don' t want to get up. I need to deal with not sleeping means your awake more hours to have to avoid Crashing and having to pace things.

Rufous McKinney

Its Mood Probiotics.....a specific brand with two specific strains. Promoted as improving anxiety and depression, but its seems to be involved in the HPA axis. there are some specific studies on it, that I really did not wade through. (yet). For whatever reason, I read the post and ordered it immediately. I dont do that normally.

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...-pem-with-probiotics-my-n-1-experience.87953/

My main sleep is the same, fairly Ok, but not restorative. But now I don' t seem to go back to sleep between 7 and 10. So its a long day, that you still can't do much in.

Its hard to describe, things improve some, then a crash thing happens and triggers are sometimes unclear. Blame a slice of bread.