• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

No sweat

leaves

Before the last 2 years I would have excessive sweating, especially at night, I'd need a lot of deodorant. Very annoying.
The last 2 years, after changing my diet ( no gluten, diary, nightshades) not so; I don't need deodorant, but weirdest thing is that my sweat doesn't smell, very weird. No "sulphury" smell at all.
I'm not so thrilled with this since sweating is a way to detox. Anyone an idea how come and what to do about it? Don't feel like introducing the nightshades etc again cause the diet really helps to feel relaxed and not wired all the time.

Thought it might be iodine defficiency or my impaired sulphur pathways but suggestions very welcome!!

dsdmom

Hi leaves,
I'm a bit confused- do you mean you don't sweat at all or that it just doesn't smell?
When I first became sick I lost all ability to sweat. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Turns out I developed autonomic/small fiber neuropathy. It took coupel of years to get better and now I sweat again although I don't think at the level I did before I got sick.

Not sure what it would mean if your sweat changed smell??

leaves

Oh sorry, yes I do sweat a tiny bit, but not a normal amount. And it doesn't smell like sweat.
My feet and hands feel very warm and moist tho, but no real sweat.
Interesting the neuropathy; guess you can't do anything about it eh?

i sweat very little, if at all and also it smells little. my guess fer the lack of odour could be the lack of male hormone for myself. sweating can also be an allergic response to, so if you sweat immediately upon eating, that may not be a good thing. i also get no sleep in my eyes (salt crystals). i think the lymphatic system is slow moving also in m.e. and body temp. is often lower. i do pass water more so i guess water does not circul;ate like it used to, more straight in and out...

xchocoholic

I didn't sweat for years until I went on a similar diet to yours. I'm on a Paleo / low carb / low oxalate diet and I actually sweat buckets if I'm out laying in the sun or working in the yard. Mine tastes like salt and maybe that's because I salt load.

I noticed that when I first start to sweat, it smells like my bath soap but then fades to being barely noticeable. Um, it just dawned on me that I may not be smelling myself at that point either ... I really can't see me asking anyone to do this for me either ... :ashamed: Are you sure it doesn't smell and you've just gotten used to it ? What a question ... :D

Tammie

sweat actually should not smell - it can be a sign of health issues when sweat does smell.....it can also be related to bacteria on the skin and to the foods one eats

HopingSince88

I am interested in this subject because I barely sweat. At one point I thought I felt well enough to go to a gym and use a personal trainer. The fastest I could go on a treadmill without getting floaters was about 3.5 mph. After 10 minutes at this rate, with my heart rate (which normally is around 72 when resting) was up to 127 bpm..but no sweat at all. And it felt like I was really struggling with being overheated.

I think that one of the reasons that I despise heat and humidity is that I don't sweat properly, and this is the body's cooling system. So heat (and great discomfort) builds up in me in this kind of weather. It was for this reason alone that I moved to the coast of Maine!

leaves

Yes I feel overheated too. It's so warm now and in struggling with that. I'm eating ice cubes to cool off.

xchocoholic

Yes I feel overheated too. It's so warm now and in struggling with that. I'm eating ice cubes to cool off.

I still feel overheated when I get overheated but then my body begins to sweat and sweat and sweat ... It really doesn't sound like something I should be proud of but I'm happy because the sweat cools me down and I know it's a good way to detox. And I couldn't do it for at least 18 years maybe longer ... I could never stand to get into the sauna when I was in my 30's.

This probably will make you feel like crap the first few times, but have you tried to force your body to sweat ? In a safe envronment of course ... Maybe to some extent it's a matter of retraining the body ...

Oh and I forgot to say that I don't eat nightshades either so I can't imagine those being necessary ... and I just started using iodized salt and I have been sweating all along.

Do you eat raw garlic ? Now there's some smelly sweat ... lol ...

Have you treated for candida ? Or taken any anti viral supplements like Virastop ? Do you eat fresh herbs ? I'm just brainstorming here to see if I can help ... tc ... X

Tammie

I think that one of the reasons that I despise heat and humidity is that I don't sweat properly, and this is the body's cooling system. So heat (and great discomfort) builds up in me in this kind of weather. It was for this reason alone that I moved to the coast of Maine!

I sweat quite easily and I still have huge problems with the heat and humidity