• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

No COLA for SS This Year and Soda Ban for Foodstamps

Carrigon

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101010/ap_on_bi_ge/us_social_security_no_cola

I'm not surprised. But how they get away with claiming there's no inflation when everything keeps going up is beyond me.

The worst is, the comments people make on those articles. So many of them accused people who don't look sick of being SS frauds. One guy posted that he tried to bring a camera into SS to show all the people between 20 and 40 that he thought were frauding SS. OMG, how can we live in such a horrible world where people would keep thinking that just because you don't look sick there's nothing wrong with you? There are people with heart conditions, blood pressure conditions, internal cancers, AIDS, none of them look sick. There are people with brain tumors who do not look sick.

People just seem to take these articles and use them to attack the disabled. And I also saw it with the ban they want to do on soda for food stamps. People attacked the poor a million times over on that article. It's not the sugar making people fat. The high fructose corn syrup is a huge factor. Plus, if you abuse anything you are going to have problems. One soda once in awhile won't make you fat, but if you guzzle the stuff daily, there's going to be a problem. But targeting just the poor drives me crazy. I see people in the foodstore all the time who are not using foodstamps who buy cases and cases of soda with several kids in tow. And my eyes just bug out at the amount. I don't know how people can drink that much of it. It's not just people on foodstamps who buy soda. I could never afford the amount of soda I've seen people buy. I buy it like once every three months if I have a craving for it. I could never afford six or eight cases of it like I've seen some of these families get. And they are not on foodstamps.

What bothers me most about the ban is not the soda, it's that it will be used as a toehold to ban other things in the future. And they are not giving healthy alternatives in its place. It will push people to buy the aspartame poison sodas. None of it is good. Even the high sugared juices aren't that good for you if you drink too much of them. It's not going to be a help to people, it's going to make them reach for other unhealthy things. And all it's going to do is take away a freedom and then let them keep taking away more freedoms. None of it sits well with me. It's punishing people for being poor.

Christopher

Carrigon,

I wouldn't worry too much about it. On that article if you sort by the highest-rated comments, you'll see the majority opinion aren't putting down anyone on disability. Just because someone is loud doesn't mean they're right!

-chris