• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

nitazoxinide as antiviral (hcv, entero etc) any experience?

leaves

I am considering asking my dr for a trial of nitazoxinide. This was originally used for parasitic infections but recently it was discovered that it is also a potent antiviral. Studies indicate that it works against hepatitis as well as enteroviruses. any experiences?

leaves

no studies that used nitazoxinide for herpes viruses that i know of... however they do say it targets a lot of viruses. But I guess visticide valtrex or acyclovir are most suitable for the herpes viruses?

Emootje

Very interesting!

Nitazoxanide has antiviral action against:

• Hepatitis B
  • Hepatitis C
  • Rotavirus
  • Norovirus
  • Influenza A virus

• Adenovirus
...but I can't find a studie about the anti-enterovirus action of nitazoxanide. I would certainly
expect there is an anti-enterovirus action....but I can't find it online...so I'm very curious.

leaves

Emootje

Norovirus and rotavirus are enteroviruses
This is a study using it for enteroviruses
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2036.2006.03128.x/pdf.
Wikipedia discusses its use for hepatitis b and c https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Nitazoxanide and its of label use (1.5-2 mg daily).

My doc gave me a 14 day trial (after some nagging) so I am going to see how it goes.. Will start next week or so. Will keep you all posted!

Great! You are a ME/CFS pioneer! :thumbsup: I am very curious...
About the enteroviruses: noroviruses and rotaviruses are enteric viruses and they are not enteroviruses. The names are a bit confusing...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enterovirus

leaves

Been having a bad few days, with lots of sleep and total exhaustion. So I woke up really really bad today.. and took my first alinia pill and.. about 4 hours later I feel a lot better. Much to early to say anything, could be coincidence, regression to the mean, placebo etc, but at least it is not a bad sign. I hope this is going to work as I really need a break.

lucy

i wanted to get it for Blastocystis treatment but it is unavailable in Italy. Instead I am taking flagyl. Is it possible that a doctor prescribes medication to be bought in another country? for example, I am going to germany soon for 2 days.

leaves

Yes that is possible, you can also order it online at a canadian pharmacy or goldpharma. So you have blasto right? That is hard to treat. I finally got rid of it by taking
Nitazoxanide 1 tab 500 mg 2 time a day ,( brand name is Alinia)
Furazolidone 1 tab 100 mg 3 time a day (brand name is Furoxone)
Secnidazole 1 tab 3 times a day (brand name Flagentyl,Sindose)
for 10 days. That is the badbugs protocol. Frankly it did not help my symptoms getting rid of it, but just wanted to share with you.

lucy

Thank you very much, Leaves. I will have again the test in a couple of weeks to find out if flagyl did anything to it and if not, I will ensure next time I try to treat it with badbugs protocol. My current main symptom, which is severe DOMS, has improved, but has not resolved completely.