• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nimodipine

Alesh

This spring I realized that although the SSRI citalopram helped me in the past probably because of its anti inflammatory properties, it can now cause harm by its vasoconstrictive properties causing cerebral vasospasms. I discontinued citalopram and I started nimodipine instead. I feel some improvement and I also realized that clenbuterol, which helped me about a year ago, should also cause vasodilatation through beta 2 adrenergic agonism.

Alesh

Hi Jenny,

what you write is very interesting. I think I have read nimodipine is given after the subarachnoidal bleeding 60mg evey 4 hours-it means probably even during the night-for six weeks. I am a bit afraid of taking such doses myself at home. Verapamil is another drug that is used for the treatment of various cerebral vasospasms.

Jenny

Yes, that's the dose for a SAH Alesh, and that's what I had for 6 weeks, including at night, and had great improvement of my ME (although I was in a good spell at that time anyway). I haven't tried it at that dose again as, as you say, it needs monitoring.

Jenny

helsbells

There was actually a DR in Scotland some years ago who used to prescribe this specifically for ME...i only took it for a couple of days and so long ago I can't help im afraid - haven't heard about it for a long time actually.

Alesh

Hi Jenny and helsbells, my illness started like a sudden infection and several years to come it felt like an infection. Now it seems to be entirely concentrated in the brain and I can't decide if it is an active neuroinfection or some damage resulting from a neuroinfection. It is also interesting how fast my sickness status is changing now. During the initial years I was sick constantly. Now there are sort of "waves". Sometimes the change occurs within the range of minutes. I suppose that such a fast "signaling" could be due to cerebral vasospasms. I can't imagine that a virus would replicate so fast but it could be a combination of both: The endothelium is chronically being affected by a virus and that's why it reacts pathologically. I will try to continue very carefully 30mg nimodipine every 4 hours. There is perhaps a cheaper and easily obtainable alternative vasodilator: Ginko biloba, although its benefits are probably overestimated. Another possibility to try would be some esters of nitric acid like nitroglycerine or perhaps sildenafil.

helsbells

I always get confused at this point - the only thing that helps my brain fog is coffee which is a vosoconstricter presumably by getting the blood up there in the first place - so can both be of help simultaneously?

Alesh

It is possible that various substances affect different brain blood vessels differently. Like some substance can cause vasodilatation of small brain blood vessels and vasoconstriction of large ones. My brain fog is substantially relieved by any stimulant like Ritalin but I believe it is only due to short time neurotransmission enhancement and not due to vasoconstriction caused by Ritalin. And low blood pressure can certainly aggravate the symptoms of ME/CFS.

Jenny

Hi Jenny and helsbells, my illness started like a sudden infection and several years to come it felt like an infection. Now it seems to be entirely concentrated in the brain and I can't decide if it is an active neuroinfection or some damage resulting from a neuroinfection. It is also interesting how fast my sickness status is changing now. During the initial years I was sick constantly. Now there are sort of "waves". Sometimes the change occurs within the range of minutes. I suppose that such a fast "signaling" could be due to cerebral vasospasms. I can't imagine that a virus would replicate so fast but it could be a combination of both: The endothelium is chronically being affected by a virus and that's why it reacts pathologically. I will try to continue very carefully 30mg nimodipine every 4 hours. There is perhaps a cheaper and easily obtainable alternative vasodilator: Ginko biloba, although its benefits are probably overestimated. Another possibility to try would be some esters of nitric acid like nitroglycerine or perhaps sildenafil.

I have the 'waves' too Alesh. Waves of severe malaise, waves of shivering and sweating, waves of dizziness and waves of nausea. All lasting between 5 and 20 minutes, and coming on up to 10 times a day. I didn't have these in the early years either - just felt flu-like and exhausted. I like to thing that perhaps my immune system is fighting more these days, but that's probably wishful thinking.

Jenny