• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NIH RECOVER study for Long COVID

frozenborderline

I mean, the consequences might be as bad as the consequences for the billions 'lost' in Afghanistan. In other words, zero consequences.

I don't think the NIH is the CDC of the 90's. They are much more effective at hiding their corruption and putting a facade of decency on it. The CDC of the 90's was amateur hour by comparison.

On the upside, the $1 billion WILL be spent. On the downside, they'll likely find out nothing and bemoan a lack of funding once they've burned through that money. Didn't NYU get $470m in one fell swoop for their RECOVER study where they're now tasked with distributing (stealing) that money? I mean, I'm sure there's only like $70m left once they came up with that snazzy acronym. Acronyms like that aren't cheap.

In all seriousness, rather than studying manageable patient cohorts, the lion's share of this money will go toward administrative costs of attempting to steer this behemoth. They will end up with the most expensive databases of nonsense in the history of modern medicine. In five years, they'll announce that antihistamines and gabapentin seem helpful.
There is well earned skepticism toward the NIH and public health agencies and then there is nihilism.

There have been small steps forward but rhey were steps forward. The IOM report was a big change in viewpoint at all the public health agencies . And even if there is major opposition by them why not protest like aids groups did. We can't simply give up. If I gave up hope on NIH funding I would [thing I can't talk about on this forum]. That's why I don't think that kind of blackpilled rhetoric is totally helpful. Do you want to encourage people to "give up" totally?

hapl808

I still have some hope, as did I write to the NIH this morning in an attempt to encourage them to do something with their embarrassment of riches. And I continue to log my supplements and medications and diet and so forth.

But I also have 25 years of declining function that has left me housebound for the last six years. Doctors have caused me infinitely more harm than good, and the mainstream medical establishment and government has offered me close to nothing. So I'll indulge in some healthy nihilism as well. Not trying to encourage or not encourage people - just trying to make it to tomorrow.

frozenborderline

And to a degree, anyone whose complaining sounds like nihilism or total cynicism is always, desperately, hoping to be proven wrong. I'd love for the NIH to do that as I really don't want to be right.
Yes I know this as people consider me pessimistic and it's more bc I'm a disappointed optimist, someone who actually cares enough to be disappointed .

I guess I'm just saying that we need to find a way to make things work, what else is left? Like even if there is very little hope we must somehow thread the needle and make it. Giving up and just continuing to live like this isn't an option for me and the other option, is something we can't talk av9ut on the forum but I think everyone knows what i mean.

So that's the context between me trying to see some nuances and changes here. Don't get me wrong I think the NIH is screwing us over and is very apathetic. But they have made these changes like being against GET/CBT and saying it's a physical serious disease that are different than under Strauss even if too little to late. Sand functionally it may be the same to us, but I just somehow doubt that koroshetz or Collins really think the way Strauss and other guys at the cdc did when they took that money. I think koroshetz and Collins are apathetic bureaucrats who aren't stepping up to the moment but I think that they aren't as actively hostile toward us as Strauss. He was a special kind of villain.

Do you really think that's naive? I'm not saying I think the NIH will save the day. I just think they may be more indifferent than actively opposing us.

Either way they need public pressure from a strong protest movement to do the right thing. And this can only come when we have more allies. Bc I'm too sick , and many like me, to protest

I don't think it's impossible though. It's a hard moment and I've lost almost everything, but sometimes I think it would be silly to give up when they've technically allocated a huge amount to long cogid funding with me/cfs groups advising. And then when me/cfs has conservatively quadrupled and become about 2% of the population at 6 million people. Maybe more, plus all the comorbidities and similar diseases, if we banded together that's a lot. We have become so numerous that I feel there has to be some senators or bureaucrats that have a family member with this and help bc it affects them. Before this it was more rare

Idk @Pyrrhus also what do you think ?