• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NICE to publish guidelines next week

godlovesatrier

https://www.nice.org.uk/news/articl...ps-for-publication-of-its-guideline-on-me-cfs

20 October 2021

NICE will publish the guideline following a meeting of its Guidance Executive next week.

Today’s announcement follows a roundtable meeting held earlier this week involving representatives from a range of patient and professional organisations, to discuss concerns raised about some aspects of the guideline that had led to the publication of the guideline being paused.

Professor Gillian Leng, NICE chief executive, said: “We would like to thank all those who took part in the meeting earlier this week for their contributions to what was an extremely open and positive discussion. During the meeting we had a constructive conversation about all the key issues that had been raised – those concerning the criteria for diagnosing ME/CFS, the decision not to recommend graded exercise therapy, the role of CBT, and the particular challenges of treating children and young people with the condition, as well as the approach taken to identifying and considering the evidence.

“We are now confident that the guideline can be effectively implemented across the system and we will discuss the input from the meeting at our Guidance Executive next week with a view to publication of the guideline.”

nerd

Good news, this will be a day to celebrate.

Makes me wonder why they even halted the publication. Like the normal post-publication round table wouldn't serve the same purpose. If they change anything in the guidelines, we will fortunately be able to identify that. And they knew that, didn't they? So what was the point other than showing off power?

Until there will be another update of the guidelines, their clinics will hopefully be long gone. What's the point of speculating that they can repurpose them with the next version?

NICE sacrificed a huge piece of the trust that people and nations have in them for what? What justified the protocol deviation?

BrightCandle

The clinics aren't going, the important thing that came out of that meeting was how the NHS retrains the existing staff. So the holdup was to secure their jobs and to ensure the clinics wouldn't be shut. The fact that Physiotherapists and Psychologists aren't much use for biological disease research doesn't seem to have stopped NICE agreeing to represent to defend their jobs.