• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NICE suggests exercise and CBT for chronic pain...

Celandine

I think the problem here is that the idea of pain with "no known cause" indicates that there's been exhaustive examination and testing of patients to try to find a cause. As we all know, in the UK this is very unlikely to be the case.

Also, the suggestion to use Cognitive Behavioural Therapy indicates that there's some behaviour at play. Is the suggestion that chronic pain is a behaviour??

nerd

Is the suggestion that chronic pain is a behaviour??

The suggestion is that our own behavior indirectly causes pain. Like sitting on a chair that exhausts the back muscles when someone has back pain. So the therapy tries to manipulate our behavior to evade such triggers and instead pursue triggers that are more healthy. But I think this isn't really helpful because you will subconsciously develop a black and white picture of your environment. Living means doing whatever you feel like. It's different for people with trauma. They don't do what they feel like but are in kind of a vicious cycle of ill behavior that feeds ill behavior on and on. I think self-reflection and self-awareness are more helpful to recognize when you're sitting on an uncomfortable chair. Sometimes, we're just too distracted from our own bodies. Regardless, pain comes from many triggers. You can't let yourself in a mental state where you run away from any possible trigger for pain. Because whatever you do and whatever you try, the pain will still come eventually. So you'll eventually start seeing ghosts because you try to identify your pain with triggers only.

vision blue

Just read the first two paragraphs and was thinking i guess this is ok - anything which moves away from big pharma to other therapies may be a step in right direction. But then it says they also recommend antidepressants instead. I figured i better stop reading before i get apoplectic. .

Davsey27

I think the problem here is that the idea of pain with "no known cause" indicates that there's been exhaustive examination and testing of patients to try to find a cause. As we all know, in the UK this is very unlikely to be the case.

Also, the suggestion to use Cognitive Behavioural Therapy indicates that there's some behaviour at play. Is the suggestion that chronic pain is a behaviour??

I think the idea is cbt is how you respond to pain is the behavior.With that being said I dont know if its something that most people can rationalize or have the ability to control.

I think CBT may be helpful for some things
but I think if the behaviorists experienced CFS/FM themselves for 6 months their opinions may change.

Its easier to make claims about something when the person hasn't experienced the conditon themselves