• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

news trailor about XMRV

helen41

There was a trailor on Tv today that King5 news (Seattle) was going to run a story on a new retrovirus related to CFS that might be in the blood supply! I think that station news is on in 45 min

glenp

"and this too shall pass"
Geez I put it on and didn't see news on 5 yet. I saw something on global tv last night but it was so quick I couldn't get what it was about. My brain seems to be worse in this damp weather.

helen41

They did interview Shoiban McElwee. She was articulate and described the illness well. I suspect King 5 is like our local tv station, that posts videos an hour or 2 after they air. I hope so. It's so encouraging to hear about it on the news, and I think Rivka deserves a lot of the credit

anne_likes_red

I couldn't connect to that link Lynn, but I'm watching the Seattle weather forecast right now which is quite a novelty! :)

anne_likes_red

They did interview Shoiban McElwee. She was articulate and described the illness well. I suspect King 5 is like our local tv station, that posts videos an hour or 2 after they air. I hope so. It's so encouraging to hear about it on the news, and I think Rivka deserves a lot of the credit

Great stuff. Well done to all concerned (and to King 5). I'll check back later and see if I can watch a link.

ETA Have seen it :))

Hope123

Yay! Happy to know my hometown TV station is one of the first local TV channels to feature a story on XMRV and CFS.....thanks to the person interviewed also anyone who asked King 5 to air the story.

[Fun fact, re: the weather report -- the lead King weatherman Jeff Renner was so popular that when King decided to go with someone else in 1990, the public lobbied to have him back on. He was my friend's neighbor back then.]

urbantravels

disjecta membra
Am I correct in noting that the blood donation center featured in this story does not seem to be a Red Cross facility?

If so, that shows evidence that other blood collection agencies besides the Red Cross are acting on their own to go beyond the AABB's "strongly discourage" directive.

glenp

"and this too shall pass"
LEST WE FORGET

CDC -- THOSE WITH CFIDS: "PRUDENT TO REFRAIN FROM DONATING BLOOD"
The two attached letter copies point indisputably--as far back as early 1992--towards the government's determination that the American blood supply, via blood transfusions, might prove to be one of the main transmission routes of Chronic Fatigue/Immune Dysfunction Syndrome (CFIDS). Both letters--one composed by William C. Reeves, M. D., at the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the other, by George W. Rutherford, then head of Infectious Diseases for the California Department of Health--were replies to my inquiry (which documents some of my immunilogical AIDS-like test results, while I was under the care of Daniel L. Peterson, M. D., of Incline Village, Nevada) about the safety of the blood supply, were I, a well-documented CFIDS patient, to donate blood.

These communiques were sent on 6/13/92 to about a dozen national news agencies. Shortly thereafter, on one day alone, the CDC received over 300 media calls regarding CFIDS contagion. Reeves, unfortunately--and questionably--was not on hand that day to address the queries of the press. Despite so, the contents of the letters were publicly aired on many southern California TV stations and in publications, one being an article by Jean Griffin of The Chicago Tribune.

However, on the 3/27/96 edition of Prime Time Live, Reeves--who along with Stephen Straus, head of CFIDS research at the National Institutes of Health (NIH), refused to be interviewed--stated by telephone that CFS "is not caused by a virus"; that there are/were "NO cluster outbreaks," labeling the one at Lake Tahoe as "hysteria"; and that CFS "does NOT affect the immune system."

It is intersting to note that also during Prime Time Live, Phillip Lee, Assistant Secretary of Health, in effect, disputed Reeves' statements, pointing out he believes there "are cluster [CFIDS] breakouts" and that he guesses the disease "is caused by a retrovirus of some type of virus."

Even though I'd long previously to 6/13/92 mailed letter copies to the CFIDS Association in Charlotte, NC, not one iota of their contents were published in the association's quarterly journal The CFIDS Chronicle. In fact, the day the news hit, Kimberly Kenney, current treasurer of the organization, telephoned. "He [Reeves] really stuck his neck out on this one," she said, further stating it would do him no justice to continue sending out further letter copies--that it would prove too embarrassing to the CDC.

I now know that this was ONE instance in which the government was actually doing its job by telling the truth. My point here is that, in many's opinions, the CFIDS Association is now--for whatever possible reason--trying, along with the government, to squelch the reality of CFIDS. This organization, I would hope, would be approached cautiously and with this knowledge.

Today, more evidence supporting CFIDS contagion--in the form of over 50 peer-reviewed articles in the medical literature and targeted viruses--has been gathered. This evidence was discovered and properly documented by our top national scientific researchers. In fact, in 1995, the CDC listed CFIDS as a "Number 1 Priority Infectious Disease." This classification has not changed.

The CDC may attempt to discredit these letter contents, claiming them "{bogus." (I do have the originals and can prove their hertiage.) Or the agency may try to wiggle out, purporting something like, "In 1992, we thought the possibility that CFS could be contagious might have existed. Since then, however, we've found no evidence to prove this and [blah, blah, blah], so, therefore, this issue has been resolved." The real situation is way to the contrary.

In 1987, I had two blood transfusions while in surgery for a shattered hip and femur. The next day I came down with a serious bodily infection which could not be traced at Sutter General Hospital in Sacramento; instead of being hospitalized for the estimated three days, I spent 14 recuperating. When I left, I still had a temperature of 99 degrees, a temperature that still continues to haunt me. I've yet to recover from CFIDS and because I've been sick with this disease for almost nine years, my chances of recovery are nil. Easily and inexpensively, the blood supply could be checked to help prevent further CFIDS cases. These tests, while not totally tell-tale, would certainly be a high indication of CFIDS or some other viral illness, and thus, any blood showing abnormal antibody titer counts for Epstein-Barr virus, Cytomgelavirus, Human Herpes virus VI, and/or the Coxsackie strains, could simply be pulled from the blood supply.

Why did the CDC tell me, a lone individual suffering from CFIDS, one thing, while telling the public completely the opposite? To avoid panic? Informing the public, "If you have CFIDS or think you MAY have CFIDS, do not donate blood until the issue of possible blood contagion has been resolved," would serve only to dispel panic. Otherwise, we wonder, "What is so tremendously secretive that the CDC is trying so desperately to hide?" The NIH and the CDC have successfully made CFIDS a political issue, rather than what it is: A bona fide and perhaps very infectious disease. Please, please, try to help prevent millions more from getting this disease, which is quite literally, a "living hell."

(From a press release sent to press agencies on 5/5/96.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Note: original documents scanned and converted to gif format)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please direct your Questions to:
Center for Disease Control
Atlanta, Georgia 30333
United States of America

CDC: Centers for Disease Control
http://www.cdc.gov
http://wonder.cdc.gov
http://wwwonder.cdc.gov
http://atsdrl.atsdr.cdc.gov:8080
or Email: your Congressional Representative and/or contact any of the Major News Agencies

LEGISLATIVE BRANCH INTERNET SITES

House of Representatives WWW Constituent E-Mail Addresses
United States Senate WWW Constituent E-Mail Addresses
President Clinton Email: president@whitehouse.gov Check out these other related sites

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
CFS News
Stealth virus
NIH: National Institute of Health
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

Last updated 5/25/96

------- end of Joan Irvine's web page ------

Also note these other important CFS information resources:

[CFS / M.E. Information page] [CFS Frequently Asked Questions] [CFS Quick Index]

This page is maintained by Roger Burns of Washington, D.C.
E-mail: cfs-news-request@maelstrom.stjohns.edu