• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New Youtube film by the cleveland clinic about XMRV

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
They put this up on April 1. And it is a slick production with a relatively high budget. And they are promoting the XMRV discovery as one of the most important they have made in their history. They would only do this if XMRV was still looking really good.

They don't mention CFS, but that is understandable. Ultimately this is a PR video, and CFS is still a bit risky to be throwing around.

This makes me feel really hopeful. Thanks for posting it.

V99

Julius

Pretty sure they did mention CFS in the video. They say their is a possible link if I remember.

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
Oh, I guess I missed that. So even better then. Things keep looking better and better.

Kati

Patient in training
I don't really mind they only have a brief mention of ME. As long as they are researching XMRV, is all I care about. Dr Silverman collaborates with Dr Mikovits...

K

_Kim_

They put this up on April 1. And it is a slick production with a relatively high budget. And they are promoting the XMRV discovery as one of the most important they have made in their history. They would only do this if XMRV was still looking really good.

They don't mention CFS, but that is understandable. Ultimately this is a PR video, and CFS is still a bit risky to be throwing around.

This makes me feel really hopeful. Thanks for posting it.

I agree julius, this is a quality production and the CC would only spend money on the promo if XMRV was still looking to be causative for prostate cancer.

CFS did get an awkward mention. @ 4:28:
Clinicians are excited by it (referring to the discovery of XMRV) because of its potential to help us manage patients with prostate cancer or perhaps (awkward pause) patients with chronic fatigue syndrome.

R

Robin

With the exception of a couple of studies, they're not finding XMRV in prostate cancer in Europe. Yet, that is not stopping the prostrate/XMRV research funding here. The disparity (awkward pause) is frustrating!

ETA: I had no idea the Cleveland Clinic had a british accent! Fancy!

Adam

British Accent

With the exception of a couple of studies, they're not finding XMRV in prostate cancer in Europe. Yet, that is not stopping the prostrate/XMRV research funding here. The disparity (awkward pause) is frustrating!

ETA: I had no idea the Cleveland Clinic had a british accent! Fancy!

Would that be something like Hugh Grant? :tear:

Frickly

I'm not worried about the awkward pause. I think this is very encouraging. Thanks for posting!

Adam

The British Broadcasting Corporation

It sounds like they borrowed someone from the BBC!

Very occasionally these days, the BBC does employ someone with a 'regional' accent. I was laughing (I suppose you realise this) at your stereotype of a British accent. That would like an American accent wouldn't it?:tear:

fds66

Oh yes, I hadn't even noticed it was a British accent. It sounds like the typical documentary introduction voice that we seem to get for loads of programs here.

V99

Adam
Very occasionally these days, the BBC does employ someone with a 'regional' accent.

My god man, why do such a thing? Society will crumble. ;)

R

Robin

Very occasionally these days, the BBC does employ someone with a 'regional' accent. I was laughing (I suppose you realise this) at your stereotype of a British accent. That would like an American accent wouldn't it?:tear:

Hahaha! I have a vague understanding of the different types of British accents but apparently they are quite complex. I guess a BBC accent is roughly equivalent to an American CCN accent -- which is an approximation of how people speak in Nebraska, apparently. If you want to be a broadcaster you must go to a speech coach and get your regional vowels beaten out of you!

Whenever there's an ad or documentary that wants you to think their product/subject is Classy or Very Serious, they use a British (Hugh Grant/BBC style) voice-over. If American accents are used in the UK, I doubt it's for Classy/Serious. ;-)

D

dmarie4301

:DGreat video! Very touching. They did mention that XMRV may be causing CFS. Its nice to put a face to the names we have read about.