• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New York Times article + herpesvirus two-phase theory

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/21/magazine/covid-aftereffects.html

So I read this wonderfully detailed article today and Nancy Klimas mentioned in it that she thinks herpesviruses don't directly cause ME/CFS but it happens in two phases. First some other infection or trauma lowers the defence of the immune system and herpesviruses that are already present in the body take the opportunity and activate themselves. Not sure if it's just coincidental or how true her hypothesis really is but I've always thought I had a weird double infection. The first one was a viral throat infection that wasn't necessarily horrible but it kept disappearing and reappearing for a whole month and it was super annoying. And after some time (which coincides with Epstein-Barr incubation period), I had mono. So I always assumed that I had a double infection, just mono had a longer incubation period, so it showed up later. But now I wonder if it was already present in my body.

bensmith

Interestin. Had a similar story to you as well op. Did you try anti virals then? Or does the article say the cats out of the bag when pem starts? Sorry cant read atm too sick.

cant imagine having cfs as a kiddo. Or a parent with cfs and a child with cfs. My heart goes to all.

I am on antiviral - Famciclover - my doctor just changed my dosage from 500 to 750. Also on LDN for the inflammation caused by the immune system going haywire (also noted in the article)
There are some comments in the article suggesting that people don't get better who have ME. There are lots of comments on this site from folks who have improved. But it did make me wonder - is there research on what proportion of people with ME/CFS get better - to mild or no symptoms?
Today, I am talking with my employer about taking full-time medical leave to begin Feb 1. I'm definitely not in the group getting better. I appreciate all the responses in another thread to my seeking advice on whether/when to stop working.

Diwi9

Administrator
Interestin. Had a similar story to you as well op. Did you try anti virals then? Or does the article say the cats out of the bag when pem starts? Sorry cant read atm too sick.

cant imagine having cfs as a kiddo. Or a parent with cfs and a child with cfs. My heart goes to all.
If you can listen to audio, there is an audio link at the top of the article. However, it is 51 minutes long.

No, haven't tried antivirals. The one that I looked at and is supposed to be available here is extremely expensive.

In the article Nancy Klimas says something about a 3-year period, that it is roughly after 3 years that they consider them really chronic, so I guess it might be possible to revert it before that.