• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New unofficial data on XMRV in CFS according to WPI

natasa778

There has been lots of speculation on the prohealth board over the years that the difference between CFS and ASD could be the stage of development of the brain of the person who gets it.

And/or formation of the blood brain barrier

parvofighter

More Unofficial Mikovits on Autism

With apologies if this is a repost. From: http://soaringhorse.blogspot.com/2010/03/dr-mikovits-to-expand-on-autism-xmrv.html
Dr. Mikovits to expand on Autism / XMRV relationship at Conference

from the XMRV Buzz Web Page:

The Autism-CFS connection on the face of it is a strange one. How can one relate often severely socially and terribly cognitively impaired autism patients to ME/CFS patients? Apparently by looking at study results; Dr. Mikovits reported that both groups share "immune dysregulation, increased oxidative stress, increased expression of proinflammatory cytokines and chemokines, mitochondrial dysfunction and chronic active microbial infections". One wonders if different but somewhat similar immune dysfunctions can, by targeting different areas, have quite different results.

Shining A Light on the Autism ME/CFS Connection - in an email to a researcher, a couple of months ago, Dr. Mikovits agreed that it probably would have better for her not to mention unpublished results about finding XMRV in autism patients. It sounds like a paper is in sight now, though, as the document states that she will "show evidence of XMRV infection in ASD and discuss the implications of XMRV infection in the pathogenesis of neuroimmune disease including ASD". If some researchers are worried about the status of XMRV Dr. Mikovits is clearly not and she's moving boldly forward into one of the most contentious research areas of all. The autism crowd is organized and active and they want answers. Could XMRV be one of them? The Conference is May 29th.

Yes, it's unofficial. But the prospect of more published findings is a great one. More comments on those parallels between ASD and ME/CFS?

[FONT=&quot]immune dysregulation, increased oxidative stress, increased expression of proinflammatory cytokines and chemokines, mitochondrial dysfunction and chronic active microbial infections[/FONT]

usedtobeperkytina

I don't know about objective test similarities. But we both have sound sensitivity and light sensitivity.

I have a friend with an autistic son. She mentioned to me the similarities between the illnesses.

Tina

I don't know about objective test similarities. But we both have sound sensitivity and light sensitivity.

I have a friend with an autistic son. She mentioned to me the similarities between the illnesses.

Tina

I knew a lot about autism when I got sick at 17 due to a friend having two autistic sibs and me having a cousin on the ADS, and that was one of the first things that got me. I realized it was like I had acquired autism. It was very scary.

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
I knew a lot about autism when I got sick at 17 due to a friend having two autistic sibs and me having a cousin on the ADS, and that was one of the first things that got me. I realized it was like I had acquired autism. It was very scary.

alphahusky,

I would love to hear more about what you've observed if you ever want to share.

By the way, welcome.