• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NEW: MAIT Immune Cell Findings Unite U.S. and U.K. ME/CFS Researchers

MonkeyMan

wigglethemouse

Would anyone be able to help summarize this article? Little brainfogged this morning...
@Cort summarised the paper here
https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2...-fatigue-syndrome-and-u-k-me-cfs-researchers/

It is interesting where NK cells are discussed and the difference of testing function in the presence of blood or not between the two groups. This paper on Exosomes has an interesting snippet
Exosomes also contribute to creating an immunosuppressive microenvironment by inducing apoptosis and impairing the function of effector T cells and natural killer cells (NKs), inhibiting dendritic cell (DC) differentiation, expanding myeloid-derived suppressor cells (MDSCs), and promoting regulatory T cell (Treg) activity.

pattismith

from the article:

"The big news from the Cliff study is the increased frequency of the CD8+ mucosal associated invariant T cells or MAIT cells. The UK authors noted that an increased frequency of MAIT T-cells has not been published before, which is true, but Derya Unutmaz, leader of the NIH ME/CFS Research Center at the Jackson Labs, has been talking about them in ME/CFS for several years."

"MAIT cells are known for the role they play protecting the lining of the gut against toxic bacteria. Their name – mucosal invariant T-cells – derives from the high levels of these cells gathered around the mucosal surfaces of the gut (e.g. the lining). In effect they are the gut’s innate immune cells – sentinels guarding the gut wall which can, in contrast to other T-cells, react immediately to invaders."

"They’re different from other T-cells which get activated after being triggered by an antigen from a pathogen. Instead, they’re activated by fats and vitamin B2 metabolites produced by plants, bacteria (E. coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Klebsiella pneumonia, L. acidophilus, S. aureus, and S. epidermidis, C. albicans, C. glabrata, and S. cerevisiae ) and fungi. Because cytokines produced by viral infections can activate them as well, the high degree of MAIT cell activation is not necessarily due to bacteria in the gut – but it’s the most likely scenario."

"In contrast to Unutmaz’s apparent (but unpublished) findings of high levels of MAIT cells in ME/CFS overall, this study found a high proportion of MAIT cells only in the severely ill ME/CFS patients. They noted that a small number of the severely ill patients were reported to have “exceedingly high” frequencies of these cells."

"Interestingly, the Cliff study authors pointed out that peripheral MAIT cell levels in healthy volunteers can increase 2-fold following exercise. Finding similarly high levels of MAIT cells in the severely ill patients suggested they were in a similar post-exercise state without having engaged in any exercise."

Shoshana

Northern USA
"Interestingly, the Cliff study authors pointed out that peripheral MAIT cell levels in healthy volunteers can increase 2-fold following exercise. Finding similarly high levels of MAIT cells in the severely ill patients suggested they were in a similar post-exercise state without having engaged in any exercise."

This part jumped out at me. It resonates with what I experience.

Thanks to all/and each of you, on this article.
Certainly other parts of abovev, are also intriguing.

ljimbo423

"They’re different from other T-cells which get activated after being triggered by an antigen from a pathogen. Instead, they’re activated by fats and vitamin B2 metabolites produced by plants,

bacteria (E. coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Klebsiella pneumonia, L. acidophilus, S. aureus, and S. epidermidis, C. albicans, C. glabrata, and S. cerevisiae ) and fungi. Because cytokines produced by viral infections can activate them as well, the high degree of MAIT cell activation is not necessarily due to bacteria in the gut – but it’s the most likely scenario."

Very interesting! I had gut testing done many years ago now and it found "pathogenic levels" of Pseudomonas aeruginosa.

A very antibiotic resistant gram negative bacteria often found in the gut in low, non-pathogenic levels.

MonkeyMan

Very interesting! I had gut testing done many years ago now and it found "pathogenic levels" of Pseudomonas aeruginosa.

A very antibiotic resistant gram negative bacteria often found in the gut in low, non-pathogenic levels.
Jim,
That is very interesting. In my case, it's C Albicans.
I'm trying to understand how important these MAIT findings are. What do you think -- is this huge?
Also, does this tie in w/ LPS?

ljimbo423

Jim,
That is very interesting. In my case, it's C Albicans.
I'm trying to understand how important these MAIT findings are. What do you think -- is this huge?
Also, does this tie in w/ LPS?

It is really interesting that both of us have one of these bugs that activate MAIT cells.

I really don't know how important these cells are yet, I haven't read enough of the research.

I just did a little googling to see if there was a connection of MAIT cell activation to LPS but couldn't find one. It could be that MAIT cells are being activated by "fats and vitamin B2 metabolites produced by bacteria and fungi" as the paper above says, independent of LPS and LPS are activating other immune cells.

Also that the MAIT cells are being activated by other immune cells, that are activated by LPS. SO, indirect activation of MAIT cells by LPS, possibly.

So the mystery continues........o_O:)

mariovitali

From the paper : https://www.journal-of-hepatology.eu/article/S0168-8278(16)00081-7/pdf

Title : Lights on MAIT cells, a new immune player in liver diseases

We note the connection of MAIT Cells with CXCR3 :

Upon liver inflammation, LI-MAIT cells over- express CXCR3, which is a receptor for IFN-c target genes such as CXCL9/10 and 11, as well as LFA-1 and VLA-4 integrins, suggesting the recruitment of LI-MAIT cells from the blood

From Derya Unutmaz’s presentation at the NIH Conference in 2019 :

c5iWbw5XC2fojotwAC7Nc8gDquwmUQm6fvYVGcscEbnpIMs6mJjK_1MjWDamOwiXx5kIt1xPF9pogFI0uWfdLJUP4iXfI-6sgibiNAfUWMwqLbdtwlclXYNeAWLSayL2_lv4Tn9_

andyguitar

This all sounds very interesting. Hope these finding are taken further. @Nine lives I remember meeting a young woman who had severe ME in her late teens for a few years but made a full recovery. She was totally certain that her illness was triggered by taking Acidophilus.

Last edited:

Rufous McKinney

We note the connection of MAIT Cells with CXCR3 :

going out into speculative thin ice hypthesizing: could exosomes be involved in shipping out MAIT cell messages?

I keep returning to the concept that: our blood has too many. Making it: more stagnent, not flowing well. And if we have alot of cell die off, we could just have alot of waste products circulating in this manner.

Also: many issues with the gut continue for our group. So how do our "gut issues" compare with folks with their "gut issues": but they don't have ME.

In one example: I have a good friend who has had Crohns for: 30 years. I know she has had episodes of great difficulty, and she takes major medication. And she had a section of colon removed. This person: still works and rarely exhibits any visible symptoms. She hiked all day and I was passed out, unable go very far at all.

HOW DO OUR GUTS DIFFER? What is the nature of: these differences?

Rufous McKinney

HOW DO OUR GUTS DIFFER? What is the nature of: these differences?

Answering myself: this research overview suggests about 90% of CFS people have IBS issues.

It appears we have to be able to identify narrow criteria fo ME before we could truely get at: what are these differences.

Is there such a thing as IBS issues without PEM?