• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New Lyme info from Stanford…possible treatment

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Generic Claritin (loratadine), Zyrtec (cetirizine) and Allegra (fexofenadine) are all in the newer class of antihistamines and are all available otc fairly cheap in the US. There is one newer antihistamine called Xyzal (levocetirizine) that is still prescription only and expensive in comparision.

I have taken loratadine and cetirizine and see similar results when taken, although I believe certirizine is a little sedating. Most people that I know that take these meds seem to respond best dependent on the cause of allergic reaction?

Interesting that it has effect on lyme bacteria!

juniemarie

They are not the same. The article is referring to desloratadine which is Clarinex not Claritin. As a side note I read that loratadine(Claritin)has to be broken down by the liver into desloratadine (Clarinex). Or maybe its the other way around???? Both are supposedly non drowsy antihistamines

valentinelynx

Alas, looking at the details, one would have to take several hundred times :eek: the normal dose of loratadine (or desloratadine which loratadine is metabolized into) to approach the concentrations the researchers were finding bactericidal in vitro (in test tube). They way I read it, they are hoping 2 things: one, that such drugs will work better in vivo (in the body) because of some technical details about how the borrelia bacteria are not dependent on manganese in their culture preparation, and two, that they can find some drug that works like desloratadine, but better.

But... since I have allergies anyway, maybe a little loratadine wouldn't hurt? o_O

RosieBee

I have been reading about desloratadine and pondering the manganese vs lyme issue that is swirling in my mind. Perhaps some of you have comments or thoughts.

I had started to get good results taking manganese to reduce the sulphur problems I get with my CBS snp (methylation protocol). THEN I got tick bites whilst out camping with my new-found energy and was tipped into a new spiral of pain and medical hell. The short course of doxycycline from my GP did not resolve it and 18 months on I am spending most of my days back in bed.

Lyme Borellia use manganese for their metabolism, instead of iron that most pathogens use - so I cut out manganese.

I also have GAD homozygous snps that further make manganese a problem (I'll try and put a link below). Hair analysis showed my manganese was a low as it could be. So I need manganese, but I have the double whammy of the lyme disease scavenging it all up and my GAD genes against me.

Desloratadine prevents Borellia from utilising manganese in vitro. I am thinking maybe I can start supplementing manganese again if I take Desloratadine to keep it from the Lyme Borellia - but will it prevent me from uptaking manganese too? I think that is what I am thinking - scrambled thinking is so bad with the Lyme disease! Hope I am making sense.

"The enzyme GAD helps to transform Glutamate into GABA with the assistance of Vitamin B6 and Manganese. If people have LYME disease and on top of that they have the GAD1 snps no wonder they feel terrible because the Lyme is stealing their Managnese...."
https://www.facebook.com/groups/230824260340671/

valentinelynx

Desloratadine prevents Borellia from utilising manganese in vitro. I am thinking maybe I can start supplementing manganese again if I take Desloratadine to keep it from the Lyme Borellia - but will it prevent me from uptaking manganese too? I think that is what I am thinking - scrambled thinking is so bad with the Lyme disease! Hope I am making sense.

No need to worry about desloratadine affecting your body's cells manganese uptake. The borrelia manganese transporter is specific to the bacterium.

Aidan Walsh

MYAMOTOI undetected by all Lyme testings which could explain all Negative IGG Lyme useless testings...IMAGINE ALL THE PEOPLE...

Aidan Walsh

Histamine Intolerance low DAO Enzymes...It could have nothing to do with Lyme at all people with low DAO enzyme respond to anti histamines also who knows if it is possibly working against undiagnosed Myamotoi or even Cryptostrongylus Pulmoni...If it is Lyme disease it could also be all 2 or 3 infections including Cpryptostrongylus Pulmoni...I still believe this illness is caused by radiation injuries which in turn could explain 'activated antibodies' like my Microbiologist once said Antibodies we will take to our graves...All 15 patients of Gail Kansky's cohort are all Positives to radiation injuries we had 3 Mile Island we had Chernobyl we had one larger unreported Nuclear disaster inside Russia which is now a ghost town plus we had well over 2000+ nuclear test explosions now we have Japan at our door steps yet these Criminal Governments downplay this completely in fact in Japan reporters are jailed for reporting radiation now...Numerous people also misdiagnosed with CFS some have pure thyroid undiagnosed illnesses some have diabetes some have Mental disorders or fructose malabsorption, brain injuries or histamine intolerance or even Lyme disease...CFS is a diagnosis of 'complete' exclusions yet some are thrown into this waste basket label all the time this is why I am always a skeptic when I here researchers are diving patients to controls I believe they have not a clue who has CFS in these studies I would not be surprised their so called Bio Banks have vials of patients who do not have CFS...Almost like one huge Circus comedy at its best...Now with the new name possible changes we are back to 1995 on syncope neurally mediated hypotension or maybe its RSD or maybe its P.O.T.S. like Clowns in a Circus...Wait a minute here comes Byron Hyde with Entorovirus b.s. :)'s

Last edited:

Aidan Walsh

They are not the same. The article is referring to desloratadine which is Clarinex not Claritin. As a side note I read that loratadine(Claritin)has to be broken down by the liver into desloratadine (Clarinex). Or maybe its the other way around???? Both are supposedly non drowsy antihistamines

Desloratadine is the component within Claratin plus I thought Claratyn was how it was spelled???l