• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NEW information on Irish XMRV prostate study

G

gerwyn morris

I,m talking about the study carried out by D'Arcy et al European Urology Suppliment 2008 7(3):271.This study reportedly failed to find XMRV in prostatic cancer tissue.they used NIH3T3 cells as positive controls.These cells are propagated from a mouse embyonic fibroblast cell line and are easily infected by several viruses.In December 2009 however a study undertaken by M.J Metzer et al was published in The American Microbiologist's Journal of Virology.The authors demonstrated that XMRV had little or no direct transforming ability and ONLY POORLY INFECTED NIH3T3 cells.This information means that these cells ,are highly suspect and highly inappropiate control-please note that I am in no way impuning the integrity of the authors- but this information seriously undermines their conclusion re the absence of XMRV.These authors also state that they DID find XMRV in the Du145 cell lines.These are prostatic cancer cells! The analysts and commentators seem to have focused on the headline conclusions(AS USUAL) .I have copies of both studies if anyone is interested-but you will have to instruct me how to get them to you as my computer skills,including my typing,are not great! MY children are in fits of laughter as I try to navigate this forum.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Very interesting. Do you have the full studies? If you do if you could email them as attachments to me (phoenixcfs@gmail.com) that would be great. It shows how complicated this field it; they undoubtedly wouldn't have used those cells if they knew they were flawed.

K

kim500

gerwyn, I'm also very interested in these two studies. Don't worry about your computer skills (and no need to type it), just post compete citations for the two articles. Many of us have access to institutional databases and libraries and can track down the originals or pdfs. Do need the full citations for this purpose, however.

I do have the citation for the Irish study - somewhere - but have lost it, so would be helpful to me to have both citations posted here, cheers.

leelaplay

I,m talking about the study carried out by D'Arcy et al European Urology Suppliment 2008 7(3):271.This study reportedly failed to find XMRV in prostatic cancer tissue.they used NIH3T3 cells as positive controls.These cells are propagated from a mouse embyonic fibroblast cell line and are easily infected by several viruses.In December 2009 however a study undertaken by M.J Metzer et al was published in The American Microbiologist's Journal of Virology.The authors demonstrated that XMRV had little or no direct transforming ability and ONLY POORLY INFECTED NIH3T3 cells.This information means that these cells ,are highly suspect and highly inappropiate control-please note that I am in no way impuning the integrity of the authors- but this information seriously undermines their conclusion re the absence of XMRV.These authors also state that they DID find XMRV in the Du145 cell lines.These are prostatic cancer cells! The analysts and commentators seem to have focused on the headline conclusions(AS USUAL) .I have copies of both studies if anyone is interested-but you will have to instruct me how to get them to you as my computer skills,including my typing,are not great! MY children are in fits of laughter as I try to navigate this forum.

wow! thank you gerwyn. You may have developing computer skills, but your ability to read papers and extrapolate the results of one study to better interpret a previous one are far beyond what I will ever achieve in this lifetime! Thank you for your report.

D

DysautonomiaXMRV

Hi to all

I've collected these studies on Prostate Cancer, and thought they might be of interest?

XMRV in Prostate Cancer

Metzger et al, (Epub ahead of print): The prostate cancer-associated human retrovirus XMRV lacks direct transforming activity but can induce low rates of transformation in cultured cells.

Rodriguez & Goff, (2009): Xenotropic Murine Leukemia Virus-Related Virus Establishes an Efficient Spreading Infection and Exhibits Enhanced Transcriptional Activity In Prostate Carcinoma Cells.

Schlaberg et al, (2009): XMRV is present in malignant prostatic epithelium and is associated with prostate cancer, especially high-grade tumors.

Rodriguez & Goff, (2009) :Xenotropic Murine Leukemia Virus-Related Virus Establishes an Efficient Spreading Infection and Exhibits Enhanced Transcriptional Activity in Prostate Carcinoma Cells.

Hong at al, (2009): Fibrils of prostatic acid phosphatase fragments boost infections with XMRV (xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus), a human retrovirus associated with prostate cancer.

Knouf et al, (2009): Multiple integrated copies and high-level production of the human retrovirus XMRV (xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus) from 22Rv1 prostate carcinoma cells.

Fisher et al, (2008): Prevalence of human gammaretrovirus XMRV in sporadic prostate cancer.

Kim et al, (2008): Integration site preference of xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus, a new human retrovirus associated with prostate cancer.

Summers & Krespi, (2008): Molecular evolution of the prostate cancer susceptibility locus RNASEL: evidence for positive selection.

Dong et al, (2007): An infectious retrovirus susceptible to an IFN antiviral pathway from human prostate tumors.

Urisman et al, (2006): Identification of a Novel Gammaretrovirus in Prostate Tumors of Patients Homozygous for R462Q RNASEL Variant.

G

gerwyn morris

gerwyn, I'm also very interested in these two studies. Don't worry about your computer skills (and no need to type it), just post compete citations for the two articles. Many of us have access to institutional databases and libraries and can track down the originals or pdfs. Do need the full citations for this purpose, however.

I do have the citation for the Irish study - somewhere - but have lost it, so would be helpful to me to have both citations posted here, cheers.

will do asap

G

gerwyn morris

Very interesting. Do you have the full studies? If you do if you could email them as attachments to me (phoenixcfs@gmail.com) that would be great. It shows how complicated this field it; they undoubtedly wouldn't have used those cells if they knew they were flawed.

will do as soon as kids wake up!

Mithriel

That is so interesting. The "headlines" of papers are often at odds from the details and we need to be aware of the facts.

Gerwyn, would it be possible to edit your thread and break up the paragraph? I find it difficult to read chunks like that and it is so important :Retro smile:

Mithriel

T

thefreeprisoner

Oh, my head hurts! Can somebody explain all this in terms that a brain-fogged non-scientist would understand? It seems like really important info to me.

Rachel xx

G

gerwyn morris

That is so interesting. The "headlines" of papers are often at odds from the details and we need to be aware of the facts.

Gerwyn, would it be possible to edit your thread and break up the paragraph? I find it difficult to read chunks like that and it is so important :Retro smile:

Mithriel

Please do-my typing skills-or lack of leave a lot to be desired-funny when I write freehand I naturtally break things up and my spelling is a lot better

leelaplay

Thanks Dx - this looks great. It would be lovely if you could include the links to the sources of the papers too so that we can access them.

Hi to all

I've collected these studies on Prostate Cancer, and thought they might be of interest?

XMRV in Prostate Cancer

Metzger et al, (Epub ahead of print): The prostate cancer-associated human retrovirus XMRV lacks direct transforming activity but can induce low rates of transformation in cultured cells.

Rodriguez & Goff, (2009): Xenotropic Murine Leukemia Virus-Related Virus Establishes an Efficient Spreading Infection and Exhibits Enhanced Transcriptional Activity In Prostate Carcinoma Cells.

Schlaberg et al, (2009): XMRV is present in malignant prostatic epithelium and is associated with prostate cancer, especially high-grade tumors.

Rodriguez & Goff, (2009) :Xenotropic Murine Leukemia Virus-Related Virus Establishes an Efficient Spreading Infection and Exhibits Enhanced Transcriptional Activity in Prostate Carcinoma Cells.

Hong at al, (2009): Fibrils of prostatic acid phosphatase fragments boost infections with XMRV (xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus), a human retrovirus associated with prostate cancer.

Knouf et al, (2009): Multiple integrated copies and high-level production of the human retrovirus XMRV (xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus) from 22Rv1 prostate carcinoma cells.

Fisher et al, (2008): Prevalence of human gammaretrovirus XMRV in sporadic prostate cancer.

Kim et al, (2008): Integration site preference of xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus, a new human retrovirus associated with prostate cancer.

Summers & Krespi, (2008): Molecular evolution of the prostate cancer susceptibility locus RNASEL: evidence for positive selection.

Dong et al, (2007): An infectious retrovirus susceptible to an IFN antiviral pathway from human prostate tumors.

Urisman et al, (2006): Identification of a Novel Gammaretrovirus in Prostate Tumors of Patients Homozygous for R462Q RNASEL Variant.

Dolphin

Of course, if gerwyn never does this, people can always copy and paste text and do it for themselves (off-list).

Here it is.

NEW information on Irish XMRV prostate study

I'm talking about the study carried out by D'Arcy et al European Urology Suppliment 2008 7(3):271.

This study reportedly failed to find XMRV in prostatic cancer tissue.

they used NIH3T3 cells as positive controls.

These cells are propagated from a mouse embyonic fibroblast cell line and are easily infected by several viruses.

In December 2009 however a study undertaken by M.J Metzer et al was published in The American Microbiologist's Journal of Virology.

The authors demonstrated that XMRV had little or no direct transforming ability and ONLY POORLY INFECTED NIH3T3 cells.

This information means that these cells are highly suspect and highly inappropiate control -please note that I am in no way impuning the integrity of the authors - but this information seriously undermines their conclusion re the absence of XMRV.

These authors also state that they DID find XMRV in the Du145 cell lines. These are prostatic cancer cells!
The analysts and commentators seem to have focused on the headline conclusions(AS USUAL).

I have copies of both studies if anyone is interested-but you will have to instruct me how to get them to you as my computer skills, including my typing, are not great!
MY children are in fits of laughter as I try to navigate this forum.

Hope123

That's very interesting. I haven't kept up on the prostate cancer side of things so I'm glad someone else is.

This reminds me of the November 2009 article about the susceptibility of XMRV to AZT in Virology. The authors wrote that

As expected, murine NIH3T3 cells were not permissive to XMRV-GFP (Fig. 1A).

They used LNCaP and 293T cell lines instead. I'm not sure what GFP is but it sounds and looks like from the pictures they were unable to infect NIH3T3 cells much with XMRV.

Ref:

Sakuma, R., et al., Xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus is susceptible to AZT, Virology (2009),
doi:10.1016/j.virol.2009.11.013