• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New info about MS

zoe.a.m.

Haven't even read it yet, but I can't say I'm surprised! I am happy that the GUT is making its way into mainstream as I think it's the new "inflammation" (if not the cause of it) in diseases.
Thanks for posting!

"For example, the disease gets worse after viral infections, and bacterial infections cause an increase in MS symptoms."
Well, let's hope this finds its way over to ME/CFS researchers and docs...

ixchelkali

Fascinating. It's interesting how much of the immune system response starts in the gut. I wonder if what they describe (or something similar) might be happening with asthma?

Gotta keep those gut flora flourishing!

anne_likes_red

Fascinating. It's interesting how much of the immune system response starts in the gut. I wonder if what they describe (or something similar) might be happening with asthma?

Gotta keep those gut flora flourishing!

My youngest child was in a probiotic (Lactobacillus rhamnosus) study to see if excema and asthma could be prevented. I took the probiotic from the third trimester of my pregnancy. So far....6 years now...so good.

Good flora cannot be too highly rated! :) :) :)

zoe.a.m.

My youngest child was in a probiotic (Lactobacillus rhamnosus) study to see if excema and asthma could be prevented. I took the probiotic from the third trimester of my pregnancy. So far....6 years now...so good.

Good flora cannot be too highly rated! :) :) :)

Now this is something! Just like giving expectant moms Vit D, this ought to be considered on a mass scale with a nice longitudinal study. Inexpensive and possibly an excellent way to ward many of our current epidemics. We need studies so that doctors could advise taking them just as they do with prenatal vitamins.

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
Given the autoimmune characteristic of MS, this is not so surprising, at least to me. The interesting bit is if/when they identify specific mechanisms.

I wonder if anyone with MS or CFS has ever tried getting rid of all their gut bacteria for a period...

No, they'd die since their digestive system would cease functioning correctly. Humans aren't a single organism, they are an ecosystem.

The point isn't to have zero gut bacteria. But rather, only 'healthy' bacteria - those that enable you to live a healthy life.