• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NEW CDC Reorganization Plan - What does it mean to us, if anything?

muffin

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THIS MEANS TO THE CDC/CFS/WILLIAM REEVES SHOP.Thoughts anyone?
-------------------------------------------------

Federal Register / Vol. 74, No. 247 / Monday, December 28, 2009 / Notices http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2009/pdf/E9-30677.pdf
DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Statement of Organization, Functions, and Delegations of Authority
Part C (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) of the Statement of
Organization, Functions, and Delegations of Authority of the Department of Health and Human
Services (45 FR 6777276, dated October 14, 1980, and corrected at 45 FR 69296, October 20, 1980, as amended most recently at 74 FR 52816, dated October 14, 2009) is amended to reflect
the reorganization of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). This reorganization is being undertaken to strengthen CDCs response to H1N1 and other public health emergencies, establish systems to better identify and address leading causes of death and disability, and strengthen CDCs ability to support state and local action to
improve health.
I. Under Part C, Section CB, Organization and Functions, the following organizational units are
deleted in their entirety:
Coordinating Center for Environmental Health and Injury Prevention (CT)
National Center for Environmental Health (CTB)
National Center for Injury Prevention and Control (CTC)
Coordinating Center for Health Information and Services (CP)
National Center for Health Marketing (CPB)
National Center for Health Statistics (CPC)
National Center for Public Health Informatics (CPE)
Coordinating Center for Health Promotion (CU)
National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities (CUB)
National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion (CUC)
Coordinating Center for Infectious Diseases (CV) National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (CVG)
National Center for Zoonotic, Vector-Borne, and Enteric Diseases (CVH) National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention (CVJ)
National Center for Preparedness, Detection, and Control of Infectious Diseases (CVK)
II. Under Part C, Section CB, Organization and Functions, make the following changes:
Retitle all references to the Coordinating Office for Terrorism Preparedness and Emergency Response (CG) to the Office of Public Health Preparedness and Response (CG)
Retitle all references to the Coordinating Center for Global Health (CW) to the Center for Global Health (CW) III. Under Part C, Section CB, Organization and Functions, insert the
following: Office of State and Local Support (CQ): The Office of State and Local Support is headed by a Deputy Director and provides strategic support for programs and activities across CDC that impact state and local efforts.
Office of Surveillance, Epidemiology, and Laboratory Services (CP): The Office of Surveillance, Epidemiology, and Laboratory Services is headed by a Deputy Director and
provides strategic direction on program specific surveillance, epidemiology, and
laboratory activities to its components, which are as follows: National Center for Health Statistics (CPC) Offices of Surveillance, Epidemiology, Informatics, Laboratory
Science, and Career Development (CPG) Office of Non-Communicable Diseases, Injury and Environmental Health (CU): The Office of Non- Communicable Diseases, Injury and Environmental Health is headed by a Deputy Director and provides strategic direction on non-communicable disease activities to its components, which are as follows: National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities (CUB) National Center for Chronic Disease
Prevention and Health Promotion (CUC) National Center for Environmental Health (CUG)
National Center for Injury Prevention and Control (CUH)
Office of Infectious Diseases (CV):
The Office of Infectious Diseases is headed by a Deputy Director and provides strategic direction on infectious disease activities to its components which are as follows:
National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (CVG)
National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention (CVJ)
National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases (CVL)
IV. Delegations of Authority: All delegations and redelegations of authority made to officials and
employees of affected organizational components will continue in them or their successors pending further redelegation, provided they are consistent with this reorganization.
Authority: 44 U.S.C. 3101.
Dated: December 17, 2009.
Kathleen Sebelius,
Secretary.
[FR Doc. E930677 Filed 122409; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 416018P
-----------------------------------------------------------
According to the www.cdcchatter.net this is what all this means
Per latest all hands message, the new organizational structure has been published in the Federal register. In case you missed the email or are having trouble keeping score....

Read the entire Federal Register citation DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Statement of Organization, Functions, and Delegations of Authority

Out:
Coordinating Center for Environmental Health and Injury Prevention (CT)
Coordinating Center for Health Information and Services (CP)
Coordinating Center for Health Promotion (CU)
Coordinating Center for Infectious Diseases (CV)

In:
Office of State and Local Support (CQ): The Office of State and Local Support is headed by a Deputy Director and provides strategic support for programs and activities across CDC that impact state and local efforts.
Office of Surveillance, Epidemiology, and Laboratory Services (CP): The Office of Surveillance, Epidemiology, and Laboratory Services is headed by a Deputy Director and provides strategic direction on program specific surveillance, epidemiology, and
laboratory activities to its components, which are as follows:
- National Center for Health Statistics (CPC)
- Offices of Surveillance, Epidemiology, Informatics, Laboratory Science, and Career Development (CPG)
Office of Non-Communicable Diseases, Injury and Environmental Health (CU): The Office of Non- Communicable Diseases, Injury and Environmental Health is headed by a Deputy Director and provides strategic direction on non-communicable disease activities to its components, which are as follows:
- National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities (CUB)
- National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion (CUC)
- National Center for Environmental Health (CUG)
- National Center for Injury Prevention and Control (CUH)
Office of Infectious Diseases (CV): The Office of Infectious Diseases is headed by a Deputy Director and provides strategic direction on infectious disease activities to its components which are as follows:
- National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (CVG)
- National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention (CVJ)
- National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases (CVL)

New names:
Coordinating Office for Terrorism Preparedness and Emergency Response (CG) to the Office of Public Health Preparedness and Response (CG)
Coordinating Center for Global Health (CW) to the Center for Global Health(CW) (CCGH vs COGH not my typo!)

The Phantom

Thanks for posting this. Sharp eyes.

I don't think it's possible to know right now if this is damage control or the new director making his mark, or both. For us, it's interesting that the CDC has just (finally) acknowledged that the incidence of autism in the US is increasing. If it turns out that significant numbers of autistic kids have XMRV the CDC is going to be under a lot of pressure from the autism community as well as the ME/CFS community to explain why they didn't get a handle on this infectious disease much earlier in its course. If that's the case, they might be trying to get some of the previous decisionmakers out of the picture, so there's no one left in the relevant positions to blame. But, at this point, I guess we really have no way of knowing what's going on, unless somebody knows somebody who works there. Time will tell.

fresh_eyes

happy to be here
Thanks for bumping this up, Phantom. I'd forgotten I meant to say that I bet Wanda Jones' departmental move, discussed on another thread, has to do with this reorganization - if we really want to know, we could probably ask her, she's generally so responsive. But somebody else do it, I've already bugged her enough.:eek:

muffin

Dr. Wanda Jones

Good idea about asking Wanda about this reorg. I too have bugged her enough that she actually CALLED me on the telephone and spoke with me. I also got a letter from her which had been forced down upon her from the Director's office from letters many of us wrote to Sebellius re: CFSAC. I may email Wanda Jones and see what she has to say about this reorg, BUT, she is Washington DC smooth and cool so I prob won't get much of value out of her. I do believe she is trying to help us but the resources, belief, etc are not there.

I wish I knew what the CDC is going to do with Reeves. I have a very sick feeling in my gut that they may actually promote him. This happened to me when I was first sick with CFIDS. My boss was literally stalking me and would NOT leave me alone. I was sick and thus weak and vulnerable. So, a pathetic human would go after a sick person and he did. I finally went to the HR department (always a bad thing to do since YOU become the problem) and they "investigated" and he was eventually promoted and given an AWARD!! That was to cover the company's rear-end. Promoted and given an Award!!! This, after damaging my already near-death health. So, would it surprise me that the CDC doesn't pull a stunt like this and elevate Reeves to cover thier butts and make it look like WE are the problem? NO!!
Keep emailing the heads of the NIH, CDC, Congress and so on. I like to send an email to Freiden every two or so weeks complaining.
Can't stop. This stuff has been going on since BEFORE Inclline Village and there is waay too much proof that we are terribly sick and not nuts.
Started re-reading Hillary Johnson's Osler's Web again - but this time from the start and not just picking pages because I could not read and understand when the book first came out and I had been sick for a good year by then.

Anyway, we shall see, if anything, comes from this reorganization and how it affects us. Organizations love to reorganize for political reasons, elevating buddies, getting rid of problem people, and just for the sake of reorganizing and shaking things up a bit - that was the company I worked at theory for reorganizing - make it look like something new is being done so they reorganized.

Can not trust the fools at the CDC. Ever.

muffin

William Reeves moved up north? Doubt it - wish it though

I pray that is the case but I would doubt it. It really is time for him to retire and go work full-time for one of his contractors - they have been "paying" him for years anyway, so...

Bill - if you are reading this - hit the road and get out of CFIDS altogether. Go play shrink at Emory or just go golfing in Florida. But LEAVE US CFIDS SICK ALONE!!! YOU HAVE DONE MORE THAN ENOUGH DAMAGE TO US. NOW LEAVE!!!!!

muffin

Wait! IF by North you meant Washington DC?

Where NORTH????
We so don't need that friggin moron moving into any position in Washington where he can do even more damage to us.

We need to know where Reeves is and what they plan on doing with him, if anything...

K

_Kim_

Oh, muffin...I'm sorry to have upset you. It was a joke and if you had clicked on the link you would have seen Bill Reeves elf-ified. Really, I didn't mean to make light of the damage that he has caused.

muffin

Kim: Not to worry. Just glad that Reeves is NOT going to Washington DC where he can inflict more damage. I really would like my brain back...

K

_Kim_

George and fresh_eyes....good to see that some of you thought that was funny. I don't always share in the same sense of humor as others. But that one keeps me laughing. I had to watch it again just now. I put a UK version up there too. Simon Wessely - Go Elf Yourself!! I posted it on the Amusements thread.