• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

new article on Post-exertional malaise

K

_Kim_

Fabulous!

Jody, this may be your best article yet on EmpowHer. It reads like a poem and portrays the reality of post-exertional malaise better than I've read anywhere else. You sure have a talent for sprinkling in just the right words, without overdoing it. I'm wondering if you have the same talents with your cooking. Just enough salt to make it taste good.

Jody

Thanks Lisa.

I have never been so aware as I have been these past few weeks, that the theories don't do anything for us. Not for me, at least, and sounds like, not for you either.

At best, they bring up new ideas of things to try from time to time. But at worst, they scare the pants off me, and leave me confused and exhausted from my thoughts going 'round and 'round and leaving me no further ahead.

At the end of it I still end up doing what I've been doing -- taking the things I've learned help me and trying to avoid the things that don't.

I'm glad theories help research. But till that research has been cooked and set and is ready to eat ... well, I'd just as soon wait till things get to that stage before I try to digest any more of it.

_Kim_

Thanks for that.

I think your mention of cooking, flavoured my reply to Lisa. :D

And ... ahem, yes, I am a pretty fair cook, if I do say so myself. (And I do say so myself ... I don't know if I can get anyone else to say it for me. :D)

Victoria

And ... ahem, yes, I am a pretty fair cook, if I do say so myself. (And I do say so myself ... I don't know if I can get anyone else to say it for me.

Except for the PASTRY stuff, Jody!

If it's the last thing I do on this forum, I'll get you making home-made pastry. Al & Jesse will just have to live through the practice sessions :D

Victoria :)

MEKoan

Jody,

What a lovely piece of writing! And, it's so evocative of the experience!

I agree that this was written with a light yet certain touch. You have a really good voice which is becoming fine before our eyes.

I think you've hit your stride. I can't see how you could have made that any better than it was.

You're a writer!

That's pretty cool, huh? Yeah, that's pretty cool!

Koan

mezombie

Yay Jodi!

You've painted a very good picture of PEM. So many people have no idea what a big part of this illness if for us. You are continuing to do a fabulous job in educating the public!

And yes, with just the right, light touch.

Jody

Except for the PASTRY stuff, Jody!

If it's the last thing I do on this forum, I'll get you making home-made pastry. Al & Jesse will just have to live through the practice sessions :D

Vicki,

No guarantee that they WOULD live through the practice sessions.:rolleyes:

Jody

Jody,

What a lovely piece of writing! And, it's so evocative of the experience!

I agree that this was written with a light yet certain touch. You have a really good voice which is becoming fine before our eyes.

I think you've hit your stride. I can't see how you could have made that any better than it was.

You're a writer!

That's pretty cool, huh? Yeah, that's pretty cool!

Koan

Yeah. It is pretty cool. :)

Nobody is more surprised by it than me.:D

Jody

You've painted a very good picture of PEM. So many people have no idea what a big part of this illness if for us. You are continuing to do a fabulous job in educating the public!

And yes, with just the right, light touch.

Thanks marie.

You and Koan both alluded to a light touch.

Can either of you tell me what you mean by this?

Victoria

You and Koan both alluded to a light touch.

Can either of you tell me what you mean by this?

I'll jump in here, Jody,

"A Light Touch" might mean that you use a minimum of words to create a powerful message.

(or, few ingredients & you don't overbeat the mixture).

Jody

Vicki,

I like that.

Though it's not often I'm told that I use a minimum number of words. :D

Nice analogy too, by the way. :) That is also the best way to make ... muffins, I believe. :)

Victoria

Though it's not often I'm told that I use a minimum number of words. :D

I meant that in a nice way, Jody.

I'm not known for being concise & to the point (drives my Boss up the wall sometimes).

I admire the way you get your messages across with few words.

It's a great gift to have... (you'll have to give me some lessons sometime).

Jody

Vicki,

I took it that you meant it in a nice way. :)

I have always had a tendency to use the greatest number of words possible to get across what I'm trying to say.

When I started writing on the net for other people and had to meet a word limit for articles, it was SO hard for me.:eek: So I guess if I've gotten better at brevity it is probably due to this. :D

But I don't think you need any lessons at all. I like the way you express yourself just fine, just the way it is. :)

CJB

You validated what I've been trying to explain to people for so long. I really don't always know when I've crossed the limit until it's too late. And then you really don't know how long you'll be down or how far down.

My last crash snuck up on me because of some meds I was taking. When a nurse took my temperature and it was elevated, the tears started streaming down my face and I realized that I was sick again and I stopped and went back to bed. About 10 days later and I'm starting to come back to life.

Sometimes it hits like a hammer and sometimes it sneaks in like plastic wrap. I tend to ignore the plastic wrap one until it's too late.

Thanks for another great article. I'm enjoying them immensely.

Jody

cj,

Glad you're enjoying them. :)

It does help to hear from other people that they are running into the same things. Helps with the sneaky voices in our thoughts that wonder if it's just ... us? Maybe we're just inadequate or ... weak ... stupid ... lazy ... fill in the blank with your own personal demons. :rolleyes:

It helps to hear from someone else that, yes, this illness IS the hell on earth we think it is. It really IS this hard and this tricky to live with it, and live in spite of it.

And that it sucks to have SO much down time, and it REALLY sucks the way the downtime can sneak up on us and catch us so frequently ....

I am sorry to hear you got snuck up on and brought down again. Glad to hear you are feeling a little better again.

Pace yourself. Pace yourself .... Pace yourself. :)