• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

new article Multi-System Breakdown in CFS: Central Nervous System

anciendaze

I do wonder what the Valtrex connection is; very curious.
I've been following a different thread in this maze. One recent idea which produced more data than I could digest was that many drugs given to patients may actually have some anti-retroviral activity. Valtrex (valaciclovir) is an example of how devious biochemical pathways can be. This is a prodrug which is converted to aciclovir in the liver, so its mechanism of action is similar to aciclovir. By itself it shows action against DNA viruses like EBV, but little anti-retroviral activity. In cells which are dually-infected with EBV (and quite possibly other viruses of the herpes group) one metabolite inhibits reverse transcription. So this drug can act as either an antiviral or antiretroviral, but antiretroviral activity is tied to high titers of herpes viruses.

I want to make clear that I do not disagree with Rich or Fredd about problems with energy metabolism and specific biochemicals in these cycles. I'm looking for the root of problems which could explain the rapid onset of symptoms in many cases. I think there is a virus, and the variety of infections blamed causes me to suspect an underlying retroviral infection causing local immunosuppression, despite the current adverse atmosphere for this idea.

A major problem with current virology is that any pathogen which can make someone sick for 10 years or more without killing them is unlikely to pass any of the tests developed for viruses with rapid replication and high copy numbers. If you wonder why we have gone 40 years without finding an etiology for breast cancer or prostate cancer this is one possible explanation. It may also apply to Parkinson's and Alzheimer's. We can't separate the cause from the background until the disease enters a phase of exponential expansion. By that time the easiest treatment options are gone.

Enid

Must say Fredd I had quite an improvement with a whammy on gut flora (amoxicillan following teeth/root extraction and suspected infection followed by masses of probiotics). Stool not blackened, urine does not stink. But much taken with Dr Chaudrhi's latest findings of immune T cells infiltrating the DRG to control infection. (I had "high spots" on a brain MRI and do believe in enteroviral infection - whichever - initially). But not into any permanently neurodegenerative disease as - my Neurologist sought out - as thinking capacities/recognitions and some mobility return. The encephelo of myalgicencephelomyelitis. I'm no scientist but think in terms of a hit and run at the brain stem affecting/incapacitating/damaging the autonomic nervous system mostly.

Thanks for your informative input anciendaze in this conundrum.

free at last

I've been following a different thread in this maze. One recent idea which produced more data than I could digest was that many drugs given to patients may actually have some anti-retroviral activity. Valtrex (valaciclovir) is an example of how devious biochemical pathways can be. This is a prodrug which is converted to aciclovir in the liver, so its mechanism of action is similar to aciclovir. By itself it shows action against DNA viruses like EBV, but little anti-retroviral activity. In cells which are dually-infected with EBV (and quite possibly other viruses of the herpes group) one metabolite inhibits reverse transcription. So this drug can act as either an antiviral or antiretroviral, but antiretroviral activity is tied to high titers of herpes viruses.

I want to make clear that I do not disagree with Rich or Fredd about problems with energy metabolism and specific biochemicals in these cycles. I'm looking for the root of problems which could explain the rapid onset of symptoms in many cases. I think there is a virus, and the variety of infections blamed causes me to suspect an underlying retroviral infection causing local immunosuppression, despite the current adverse atmosphere for this idea.

A major problem with current virology is that any pathogen which can make someone sick for 10 years or more without killing them is unlikely to pass any of the tests developed for viruses with rapid replication and high copy numbers. If you wonder why we have gone 40 years without finding an etiology for breast cancer or prostate cancer this is one possible explanation. It may also apply to Parkinson's and Alzheimer's. We can't separate the cause from the background until the disease enters a phase of exponential expansion. By that time the easiest treatment options are gone.
Its possible there maybe misdiagnosis. or different onsets, im not sure which. but for me i completely agree with what your saying
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...s-going-to-happen-gloom-and-doom.17477/page-2