• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Neurological Evidence of So-called 'Somatoform' Disorders? (ie FM, IBS, CFS)

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
Thanks for the article Cort.

Unfortunately I just see this is just an attempt to capture CFS (and the other diseases mentioned) further in the snare of psychiatry. Patients should therefore be skeptical until they are proven to be resolved by anything other than subjective cognitive/behavioural changes.

biophile

Places I'd rather be.
Thanks Cort.

If the opening paragraph wasn't a case of guilt by association then I don't know what is. Apparently according to the authors, whether [ME/CFS] is different or distinct from malingering, depression, anxiety and "somatoform disorders" remains an outstanding question and "this ignorance fuels vigorous debate about how best to conceptualize and classify these conditions ...". Others who moved on from this many years ago may wonder how much of co-author Sharpe's ignorance and FUD regarding ME/CFS has contributed to this "vigorous debate".

The remaining part of the introduction wasn't too [anterior cingulate cortex and insula] activating (emotionally painful) to read. Skimming the rest of the paper revealed pretty much what I expected from the abstract: ambiguous results of abnormal cognitive processes in higher-order neural systems, implicated as consistent with the "cognitive model", probably a consequence or compensation to the illness rather than the cause, suggestions that reduced grey matter is due to cognitive deconditioning from lack of stimuli.

They don't discuss the need for relevant medical controls, only allude to the lack of psychiatric controls. So after more than 100 years of psycho>somatic ideology and several decades of MRI technology no one has really bothered to control their experiments adequately? There have been some interesting technological developments in neuroimaging over the last decade, these need to be employed properly.