• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Need help interpreting test results UAA, UTEE, HMT, OAT, DNA - high beta alanine and carnosine

Just wanted to know if anyone could interpret what my recent test results, it's slightly annoying the test was done on a rare day where I woke up feeling very good so I just wonder what the UAA would have shown on a normal day where I woke up feeling rough.

Beta alanine and carnosine were significantly high on the UAA but aspartate was normal, I'm on the Yasko protocol and she said to run GI 360 test to see whats going wrong with the gut which I'm going to do. This result implied meat isn't been digested properly. I wasn't supplementing with any beta alanine. Test also showed maldigestion/absortion in red and abnormal flora nearly in red.

A few months ago before the test I realised meat was inducing autistic symptoms and brain fog and speech issues, dilated pupils and I thought it was due to the phenylalanine content but it seems not now and is because of the carnosine instead. Either way I dropped my meat consumption from 330 grams per meal to 200 grams per meal the last few months and I've lost a significant amount of weight(bad). I cut out meat and fish for a few days and I see a lot of symptoms disappear however I started to feel fatigued and POIS flare ups became worse than usual without protien.

UTEE showed Copper, sodium, selenium, zinc and phosphorus were low, Vanadium was slightly high.

Hair showed low: copper, calcium, sodium, potassium, chromium, boron, lithium, selenium, rubidium,
high arsenic and silver - this doesn't surprise me as I eat a lot of brown rice which is high in arsenic, silver I have no idea why was high

Conventional kidney function test showed my potassium and sodium were normal despite me getting kidney pain and feeling rough a lot of mornings, sodium was at the low end in UTEE despite me eating a high salt diet.

lead, uranium, mercury showed in both in small amounts.

OAT test 1 year ago showed high HVA/VMA ratio meaning probable low conversion of dopamine to noradrenaline.

Symptoms are bad brain fog, speech difficulties, POIS, bad reactions to showers and baths - MCAS/dysautonomia, dilated pupils, gut dysboisis and chronic gut infection, thick mucus (has blood sometimes) in throat from stomach and also in stools, aspergers but autistic symptoms become much worse in a flare up, social anxiety, bladder pain syndrome, reactions to alcohol and showers, I do not have CFS,

I picked up some kind of chronic infection three years ago while travelling in mexico and this is where my gut issues started a few months after I got back (also tried sertraline at the same time which may have contributed).

For two years I had reoccurring bad chronic infection symptoms like liquid stools (at times), feeling like I had the flu but no fever - altered state of consciousness, extreme autistic symptoms and brain fog, fatigue, character changes/mood issues, neck pain stiffness and nausea, brain felt infected, bad anxiety, sensitivity to light, swollen arteries in the sides of my head, basically turned me into a zombie and my vibe was so off even speaking to a shop keeper would be so hard while looking like I'm on crack or something.

Unfortunately I didn't know anything back then and doctors were so dismissive/unhelpful I gave up with pushing for more tests. I only got tested for h pylori once, I did the NHS tests for parasites, bacterial infections a few times but nothing showed. Now I wish I got a gastroendoscopy and also a doppler scan, functional mri scan, mra scan of brain and more tests for h pylori and parasites. I've done two tests for lyme I don't think I have that.

I was exposed to yeast and mould in the genital area 5 years ago and this is where my health issues started so this could also be the cause. However I done a few protocols for mould and candida and they do help a bit but symptoms remain.

Blood tests show I have low folate, and a lot of time was folate deficient but was also highly sensitive to all forms of folate methyl folate, folinic acid, folic acid. I had a severe allergic reaction to one folic acid 5mg pill last september covered head to toe in itchy hives, probably worse allergic reaction I've ever had (folate autoantibodies maybe).

I have a high ANA titre but autoimmune disease was never diagnosed by rheumatoligst as C3, C4 and other things were normal.
:ENA Sm/RNP- Positive
ANA Tire - HEp2 Nuclear pattern - speckle - Second pattern : FND 1/640
Antinuclear antibodies titre - 1/640

EBV was positive but antibody test didn't show active infection, I am also getting lots of herpes virus flare ups from detox in this Yasko protocol.

Evidence shows i may have aldosterone issues:

CYP1A2 homozygous mutation - consequences I have 5% activity compared to the wild type version - This gene is important for aldosterone and cortisol synthesis.

Curcumin causes me big issues and this inhibits this enzyme

Wake up some mornings with bad kidney pain, dilated pupils, speech issues, weak urine flow. Things like SAM E make it a lot worse.

Low potassium and sodium in hair , Low sodium in urine , funny because I have a high salt diet....

Kidney beef (glandular extract) helps stregthen the kidneys seems to stop my kidney pain.

My methyl cycle SNPs
COMT V158M +/- AG
COMT H62H +/- TC
COMT 61 +/+ AA
VDR Taq T/T AA
MAO A R297R +/+ TT
ACAT 1-02 +/- AG
MTHFR 3 +/- AG
MTHFR A1298C +/+ GG
MTRR A66G +/- AG
MTRR 11 +/- AG
CBS C699T +/- AG

Attachments

• UAA (1).pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 19
  • UTEE (1).pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
  • ALEX_MACLEAN_HAIR_05.07.21.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 15
  • OAT Test . (2).pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 20
  • NutraHacker_Complete_Mutation_Report_Customer_0d79f4ea-f737-4621-a8ec-19d7ad8b2349 (1).pdf
    139.6 KB · Views: 15
  • MTHFRSupport Variant Report v2.12-AncestryDNA.txt.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 14

LINE

The disturbances in sodium/potassium point to adrenal issues. Adrenals respond due to immune reactions. Aldosterone is an adrenal hormone, mine was high due to a gut related infection, in fact other adrenal hormones were quite high as well. Also had high beta alanine.

The likely issue is a gut related bug. Treat the bug and the system should rebalance.My profile is very similar which was due to a pathogenic organism in the gut. I have a good deal of experience with gut bugs (I host a forum), let me know if you need some direction.

PS Testing is very hit or miss, I can help with that.

Last edited:

LINE

For two years I had reoccurring bad chronic infection symptoms like liquid stools (at times), feeling like I had the flu but no fever - altered state of consciousness, extreme autistic symptoms and brain fog, fatigue, character changes/mood issues, neck pain stiffness and nausea, brain felt infected, bad anxiety, sensitivity to light, swollen arteries in the sides of my head, basically turned me into a zombie and my vibe was so off even speaking to a shop keeper would be so hard while looking like I'm on crack or something.

All signs of infection.

ljimbo423

high arsenic and silver - this doesn't surprise me as I eat a lot of brown rice which is high in arsenic,

This Lundberg rice is very low in arsenic. It might help you to lower your arsenic levels. Here is a quote from their website-

The chart below shows the means over the eight years of testing our brown rice compared to the maximum levels (ML) set by CODEX.

The mean inorganic arsenic (iAs) contents of LFF (Lundberg family Farms) brown rice for each year are less than one third of the CODEX standard for ML 0.35 ppm of iAs in brown rice. Furthermore in 2018, the California Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (OEHHA) established default natural background levels of iAs in brown rice at 0.17 ppm.

Link to website

The disturbances in sodium/potassium point to adrenal issues. Adrenals respond due to immune reactions. Aldosterone is an adrenal hormone, mine was high due to a gut related infection, in fact other adrenal hormones were quite high as well. Also had high beta alanine.

The likely issue is a gut related bug. Treat the bug and the system should rebalance.My profile is very similar which was due to a pathogenic organism in the gut. I have a good deal of experience with gut bugs (I host a forum), let me know if you need some direction.

PS Testing is very hit or miss, I can help with that.

Sure thanks I would love some help where can we speak? I don't seem to be able to message anyone here.

I always knew what I had was an infection but just never found out what.

Pyrrhus

A few months ago before the test I realised meat was inducing autistic symptoms and brain fog and speech issues, dilated pupils

Is it just red meat, or is poultry/fish okay for you?
Some people report problems with red meat, but can tolerate poultry and fish...

By the way, I used to get terrible speech issues with my brain fog, especially stuttering.

Interestingly, I did not notice my dilated pupils for years- I though there was a problem with my vision despite my optometrist telling me that my vision was perfectly fine...

Symptoms are bad brain fog, speech difficulties, POIS, bad reactions to showers and baths - MCAS/dysautonomia, dilated pupils, gut dysboisis and chronic gut infection, thick mucus (has blood sometimes) in throat from stomach and also in stools, aspergers but autistic symptoms become much worse in a flare up, social anxiety, bladder pain syndrome, reactions to alcohol and showers

Are you sure that the thick mucus with blood is coming from the stomach?
It could be coming from the respiratory tract (throat and lungs).
If so, it raises the possibility of a respiratory infection, perhaps in addition to a gastrointestinal infection...

Have you completed any conventional broad-spectrum antibiotic therapy to rule out bacterial infections?

I had a severe allergic reaction to one folic acid 5mg pill last september covered head to toe in itchy hives, probably worse allergic reaction I've ever had (folate autoantibodies maybe).

Yeah, you might consider sticking to small doses (400 micrograms) of methylfolate, instead of high-doses of folic acid.

By the way, I've never heard of antibodies to folic acid, although I have heard of antibodies to the folate receptor:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3578948/

I hope some of this helps.

It's all meat chicken, beef, lamb and also fish (wild salmon) I eat only organic meat now. It seems like it's the carnosine in all these things. I recently discovered eggs don't contain much carnosine so I might try a diet with only them.

It used to be chicken I mainly ate but I stopped that and now I mainly havered meat, the chicken I think was partly causing me issues because of high serotonin/tryptophan in chicken breast, and chicken seems to be the worst one for me. However eating red meat the whole time now I also don't feel great.

Nicotinamide extended release (tried 1500mg and 750mg) (down regulating Sirt1 results in a upregulated MAO-A) with nac (for glutamate) completely stopped my reactions to meat and showers, however I run into worse problems after a day or two with this where it feels like I have no dopamine parkinson type symptoms shaky hands and feet, bad social anxiety, unable to make expressions with face, feel like a blank computer and found it hard to even speak to my family normally. So this was probably a dumb idea to try as it seems like I have low dopamine in the brain. Felt like methylation had shut off and neurotransmitters stopped synthesising which Nicotinamide can do

It could be the lungs I guess but I have no cough or breathing issues. I've never completed an antibiotics course since having this due to not being prescribed anything and being told I have IBS or post infectious IBS..... Definitely wasn't IBS it felt like an infection. Now that it's improved in the last year maybe now what I have is post infectious IBS.

Yeah sorry I meant folate receptor autoantibodies which is a common thing in people with autism. The folic acid I only tried once as I read an article saying the stuff about MTHFR and folic acid was a myth. Now I only use methyl folate or folinic if I'm going to use folate. Also four years ago when I tried the folic acid it didn't give me the same reaction as the allergic one I had.

LINE

Sure thanks I would love some help where can we speak? I don't seem to be able to message anyone here.

I always knew what I had was an infection but just never found out what.

GI testing can be problematic and there are several reasons why that is which I will not explain here. Typically if you are experiencing those adrenal responses, then likely the bug is either protozoa or perhaps bacterial, it is likely causing a humoral immune response.

Some common protozoa bugs are giardia, cryptosporidium, e histolytica and there are many others. It also could be a rogue bacteria species.

You know your stuff and have done extensive testing, it will take a while to read through it. Also, upon reading the heavy metals testing, I didn't see any chelating agent. Did you just do a urine heavy metals testing without any chelating agent? If so, that would be whats called a preprovacative sample. The problem is mercury, for example, doesn't stay in the blood much, at least 90-95% of it goes to fatty tissue such as fat and nerves, thus whats called a post-provacative chelation challenge is performed whereby a chelator such as DMSA or emeramide is taken and the urine collected over 6 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know your stuff and have done extensive testing, it will take a while to read through it. Also, upon reading the heavy metals testing, I didn't see any chelating agent. Did you just do a urine heavy metals testing without any chelating agent? If so, that would be whats called a preprovacative sample. The problem is mercury, for example, doesn't stay in the blood much, at least 90-95% of it goes to fatty tissue such as fat and nerves, thus whats called a post-provacative chelation challenge is performed whereby a chelator such as DMSA or emeramide is taken and the urine collected over 6 hours.

Yes it was unprovoked but the Dr Amy Yasko who I'm doing the protocol with prefers unprovoked tests at the start of the protcol.

@chelsea49 then how does she know if the treatment is effective if she doesn't have a marker to compare to? for example chelation will show how much mercury is excreted the first time which theoretically should be the largest amount and as chelation continues upon testing that chelated urine then the mercury present should go down.