• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Need help, do you think this reaction is a good sign?

gu3vara

Hi guys,

I started taking colostrum (about 6 grams a day building slowly from from 1 gram a day) about 3 weeks ago (as well as digestive enzymes with meals) and I have new symptoms I never experienced in the past. I'm wondering if it's a good sign...hope so!

I have had swollen lymph nodes in the neck for a week now and a bit of a sore throat. I never experienced those in 5 years of CFS, can't catch a cold or a flu like many others here, so I'm sure it's not a cold, doesn't feel like it.

I'm also a bit weaker than usual, doesn't matter much as I'm already pretty low in energy. Finally, I'm passing white stuff like perhaps candida in each stool I make.

Seems like a good sign, what is the meaning of swollen lymph node, I'm a trying to fight something or am I actually losing ground?

I don't take any other meds or supplements, only other thing I've only doing is the oil pulling for 2 months now but never had reaction until I started colostrum.

Thx!

gu3vara

Well I think it's a good supplement, it's been used by Dr Cheney to help rebuild the gut among other things.

I'm in contact why someone who had ME for 20 years that is making steady and significant progress on it after 3 months use (taking 4 grams of Colostrum and 1 gram of Lactoferrin). I will start on lactoferrin in a couple weeks, it's a good pathogen inhibitor that is present in whey and colostrum, but taking it as a separate supplement is more potent.

I like to think I'm fighting something I just couldn't fight before colostrum, hope I'm right...!

dannybex

Yup...

I think it's a good sign...esp if you never catch colds, etc., like most of us. Shows your immune system is trying to rebalance itself.

I think.. :Retro smile:

jeffrez

I guess I'll be the voice of dissent. I don't think those are necessarily good signs. I had neuro-endocrine CFS for a number of years, never had a cold either, then last fall I took an anti-oxidant supplement, developed swollen glands, chills, aches, pains, and a low grade fever that night, and that triggered actual CFS and greatly worsened me. 5 months later I'm still not recovered, and doubt I ever will be after that immune activation.

It's possible what you're experiencing is some kind of die off reaction, but in that case, I would definitely back off the colostrum until I had stabilized to a baseline, and then assess at that point if I was worse than before, better, or the same. If better or the same, then I would gradually ramp back up again, probably just keeping the amount below symptom level. If I were worse, then obviously I wouldn't continue taking it. But you need to find out if it's a beneficial reaction or a harmful one, and imo the best way to find that out is to ramp down and go off it until you are stabilized so you can tell what's going on.

2bushes

Hi,

I sounds like you have a fight going on! I would say good going!

I have to get back to the oil pulling, I seem to forget. One friend with swears by it.

Margaret

Athene

ihateticks.me
White poo can be a sign you are not producing bile, i.e. not breaking down old blood cells. You never see candida as white in or on poo.

When my son did white poo our doctor (Meirleir) said his liver was working hard against infection. The gut infection with CFS backs up into the liver causing this situation. If this is a new development, maybe it means your body is beginning to put up a fight against the infection in your liver??

gu3vara

Thx all for the input

My sore throat and swollen glands are subsiding, makes me think it was a die-off reaction. I feel pretty much the same as I was before I started except I have improved cognitive function on it and sleep much better, which is already great :)

My gut hurt a bit sometimes and I'm still passing some white junk (in small amount) in my stools, it's working on something! Colostrum is supposed to be great to improve the gut in CFS patients (used by Paul Cheney) so I think I will continue as it is for now and see what happens, an increase in energy would be greatly welcome, I was already pretty low before starting.

gu3vara

Yeah, OP is really something that works, I had eczema on my hand palms for years and it dissapeared after 4 weeks of OP. My teeth are now much whitter and my gum infection is gone, good stuff! God knows what it can do on the long term for CFS.

I'll keep on doing it for life, it keeps the expensive dentists away :)

Hi,

I sounds like you have a fight going on! I would say good going!

I have to get back to the oil pulling, I seem to forget. One friend with swears by it.

Margaret

jeffrez

gu3vara - glad to hear the effects appear to be transient. Colostrum is a great thing to be able to take! As long as the stools themselves aren't white, it does indeed sound like a herx reaction. keep us informed as you continue to improve. :)

gu3vara

Sure, will do!

BTW, a person I'm in contact with from another site with CFS for 25 years is making significant progress (much more energy among other things) after 3 months on 4 grams Colostrum and 1 gram bovine lactoferrin. It took her 2 months for it to kick in really. I have been taking it for a month now so I hope I'll have the same outcome. Just hope the effects doesn't wear off.

Hi, gu3vara - I saw a study where colon cancer patients on chemo had dramatically better outcomes with 250mg a day of lactoferrin. I've taken it in the past for SIBO and had great results. How are you doing with lactoferrin and colostrum, now 6.5 years later? Hope all is well.