• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Need advice with simplified protocol

Hi. I’ve had mould toxicity for 6 years. I was re-exposed last summer. My biggest symptoms are my reactions, which are extreme. I found good housing and started CSM 7 months ago as per Shoemaker. That helped quite a bit, but with diminished returns over time. I started sauna a couple weeks ago because that’s what helped me most after my initial exposure. I’m on a Candida/paleo diet. I’ve also taken the following for 7 months without issue: NAC, ALA, vit C, magnesium, molybdenum, grapefruit seed extract, oregano oil, selenium, probiotics.

A year ago, I talked to an environmental illness, whom I can’t yet afford to become a patient of. She said part of my treatment would likely be methylation. I thought I would try Rich’s simplified protocol on my own.

I started with the all-in-one supplement. I did 1/4 per day every couple days for a couple days then went up to 1/2 every day. This was over the course of a week or so. I have a lot more brain fog than before, and I am more reactive. I have a herx reaction right when I take the all in one, but the fog also builds over the day. I also now get more herx reactions than normal from taking my regular supplements. Last night, after going to a restaurant I had not previously vetted for mould, and saunaing after, I woke up in the middle of the night with the most intense detox symptoms I’ve had in years. It was kind of scary.

Any thoughts on this? Is it normal to get a lot of detox from jut small amounts of the all in one?

A couple fellow mouldies, as part of their functional-medicine doctor-guided care have gone straight to glutathione supplementation. Might this be a better way of starting? If so, what dosage?

Presumptions: I’m presuming my brain fog etc is because of the all-in-one supp causing detox, rather than the sauna, just because of when it started, though I’m not 100% certain. My car also went mouldy a couple weeks ago, which has maybe been making this worse (new car comes today).

Learner1

Glutathione is expensive and doesn't stay in your system long, something like 17 hours. So, it's best if you can get your body to make it on an ongoing basis, through methylation and amino acids, like NAC.

Starting it up suddenly can mobilize toxins, which need to be gotren rid of. If you don't have the correct ratio of methylating nutrients for you, processes can get bottlenecked, and you can get stuck, with some pretty unpleasant symptoms. Your genes, nutrient status, and the presence of other toxins, like heavy metals, all can impact your need for various methylating nutrients, like folate, MB12, B6, B2, TMG, magnesium, potassium, and/or methionine, as well as the nutrirnts to make glutathione, including B6, selenium, glutamine, glycine, and NAC.

You also need the mobilized toxins to move down the transsulfuration pathway, which requires B1 and molybdenum.

Taking someone else's canned protocol is a recipe for disaster. Methylation is essential to detoxification, neurotransmitter production, immune system function, and proper replication of DNA. You need to find a protocol that works for your body. The best way to do it is to get comprehensive nutrient testing , like a Genova Diagnostics NutrEval FMV with Amino Acids, which will help you figure out how much you need of each nutrient. A functional medicine doctor can help you do this properly.

Glutathione is expensive and doesn't stay in your system long, something like 17 hours. So, it's best if you can get your body to make it on an ongoing basis, through methylation and amino acids, like NAC.

Starting it up suddenly can mobilize toxins, which need to be gotren rid of. If you don't have the correct ratio of methylating nutrients for you, processes can get bottlenecked, and you can get stuck, with some pretty unpleasant symptoms. Your genes, nutrient status, and the presence of other toxins, like heavy metals, all can impact your need for various methylating nutrients, like folate, MB12, B6, B2, TMG, magnesium, potassium, and/or methionine, as well as the nutrirnts to make glutathione, including B6, selenium, glutamine, glycine, and NAC.

You also need the mobilized toxins to move down the transsulfuration pathway, which requires B1 and molybdenum.

Taking someone else's canned protocol is a recipe for disaster. Methylation is essential to detoxification, neurotransmitter production, immune system function, and proper replication of DNA. You need to find a protocol that works for your body. The best way to do it is to get comprehensive nutrient testing , like a Genova Diagnostics NutrEval FMV with Amino Acids, which will help you figure out how much you need of each nutrient. A functional medicine doctor can help you do this properly.
Thanks for your thoughtful response! I don't have any functional doctors near me, unfortunately. Maybe I need to find one that will meet by phone.

Here are my 23andme results. Can anyone help me make sense of this?

Attachments

• Genetic genie results.PNG
    Genetic genie results.PNG
    152 KB · Views: 11

Learner1

Based on your genes, you're may have a higher need for folate, B12, and vitamin D and may have issues with serotonin. But, environmental factors can impact the way the genes are expressed. The best thing is to get tested.

If you can't do a NutrEval, you could have RBC folate, methylmalonic acid, and vitamin D checked, which would give you an idea about your need for these nutrients, though it still wouldn't give you enough info to put together a protocol. Also, if MCV is high on a CBC, you're likely short of folate or B12.

To find a doctor who does the NutrEval, you can look on the Genova Diagnostics website.

drob31

Based on your genes, you're may have a higher need for folate, B12, and vitamin D and may have issues with serotonin. But, environmental factors can impact the way the genes are expressed. The best thing is to get tested.

If you can't do a NutrEval, you could have RBC folate, methylmalonic acid, and vitamin D checked, which would give you an idea about your need for these nutrients, though it still wouldn't give you enough info to put together a protocol. Also, if MCV is high on a CBC, you're likely short of folate or B12.

To find a doctor who does the NutrEval, you can look on the Genova Diagnostics website.

Is there an easy way to get the nutraeval test without going through a doctor?

Learner1

Not sure what you mean about serious people. I know some tests you can just list who your doctor is and they send you a test kit.
It doesn't work that way. I've hsd doctors in 4 states, including some unfamiliar with it, order it. If you go through a doctor and use their Prepay program, paying $189 by credit card, they'll bill your insurance for the rest. It's cheaper thsn Direct Labs that way.

drob31

It doesn't work that way. I've hsd doctors in 4 states, including some unfamiliar with it, order it. If you go through a doctor and use their Prepay program, paying $189 by credit card, they'll bill your insurance for the rest. It's cheaper thsn Direct Labs that way.

Oh I didn't know they had a prepay program. What would my doctor have to do for that?