• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Neck muscles and headaches

Hello,
I've had M.E for over twenty years, since I was fourteen. During that time I've had more severe periods and some less severe, but have been quite ill and had to stop working for many years now.
I have a new symptom in the last few months, which is very tight muscles in one side of my neck, causing horrendous migraine headaches. A physio has been giving me exercises to strengthen weaker muscles and stop stronger ones over-working, which she thinks is causing the problem.
I wondered if this was a result of muscles weaknesses from many years of lying and sitting, or whether anyone else with ME had experienced severe headaches and muscle spasms and tightness in their neck?
Your experiences would be welcome! Thank you for any help.
All best wishes,
M

jesse's mom

I have all that you describe. I was in a really bad wreck in 2007 and there is damage from that and from standing behind my hair chair for way too long working at my salons.

PT has helped. Have had another MRI this year and the spinal stenosis is progressing. Herniated cervical spine, etc.

I feel your pain.

Haley

Yes, I get vert tight neck muscles as well, and the headaches that go with it.

The exercises will help with the muscle imbalance (that's what causes mine), along with correct posture and relaxation of the tight muscles. I spend a lot of time doing gentle stretches and massage, both of which help. I find that magnesium also helps.

Rufous McKinney

severe headaches and muscle spasms and tightness in their neck

Yes yes and yes. Inflammatory squeeze /which I call a head ache/ major sign/symptom frequent. Tremendous pain there which can be relieved a bit with CEASING whatever I'm doing and i use BIOMAGNETS and tie them around my neck. They actually do help as I cannot take a painkiller.

My neck vertebra recently have decided to pop constantly, going to discuss this with Doctor tomorrow.

jesse's mom

That reminds me when a headache is really bad, and the origin from my neck, Ice Packs. Not everyone can stand them. They work fast for me.

Never sleeping on my stomach or on the looser side of my neck helps too.
I use a rolled up old pillow and put that under my neck. I think I would like one of those wooden chinese pillows!

Rufous McKinney

I use a rolled up old pillow
If I don't bring my personal feather pillow (Often older, rather deflated) with me on a trip, I will fore sure get bad neck issues from the wrong pillow or motel pillows or not enough neck support.

where would I be without my pillow? I get all these glitchy things in the spine......I assume everybody does but: maybe they don't?

Pyrrhus

very tight muscles in one side of my neck, causing horrendous migraine headaches.

It is important to note that the sensation of tight neck muscles is not always due to the muscles.

Minor inflammation of the meningeal lining of the brain produces a sensation that is exactly like the sensation of tight neck muscles. This inflammation also produces headaches.

Ice Packs. Not everyone can stand them. They work fast for me.

Ice packs are an effective way to calm the inflammation.

*GG*

Attachments

• HR HEADACHE-DIARY national Headache foundation.pdf
    133.4 KB · Views: 13

hapl808

Minor inflammation of the meningeal lining of the brain produces a sensation that is exactly like the sensation of tight neck muscles. This inflammation also produces headaches.

This is what I think I'm suffering from. It mainly seems to happen, ironically either when I start taking anti-pathogen treatments, or if it comes on spontaneously it can be relieved by taking anti-pathogen treatments. Heat makes it worse, ice doesn't seem to really help, things like ibuprofen, boswellia, etc can help take the edge off the pain.

hapl808

Also, I get a different kind of headache and neck pain from any cognitive tasks. It's similar to the PEM I get from physical activity or the headache you get from heat stroke. If I have difficult computer tasks or stuff like that, the back of head / stiff neck / heat stroke feeling headache starts within an hour. Very frustrating that I can't really figure out how to fix it so I can work more.

kewia

I start taking anti-pathogen treatments, or if it comes on spontaneously it can be relieved by taking anti-pathogen treatments. Heat makes it worse, ice doesn't seem to really help, things like ibuprofen, boswellia, etc can help take the edge off the pain.

That sounds very much of pathogen based inflammation.
I would try meds reducing inflammation, like you did with boswellia.

However, I tried Andrographis Paniculata which is known to reduce inflammation a lot. Nonetheless, my immune system spiked because of it and my symptoms worsen. I think it's because it is also antiviral, maybe my immune system detect more of these pathogens and fu??ed me.

Taking low dose dexamethasone seem to help, however.

I know how shitty it is that you can't work with it. I have no headaches, but heavy dizziness and jittery. But my biggest fear is getting a shock out of it.
I get one in the past, and it is very dangerous to get one without an epi pan, so be careful with over exercising my friend.

hapl808

To get what without an epi-pen? I don't think I'm over-exercising. I only go to the kitchen to get food, and most of my PEM crashes are from working on the computer or talking on the phone.

Andrographis always agrees with me quite well, although I only take a small dosage. I'm never sure how to dose these things. Right now I take daily: 1.5g monolaurin, 500mg andrographis, 6 Samsara, 3-4 Life Extension garlic, 4 fish oil, 1 boswellia, 1g Vit C, 600mg NAC, 2 Jarrow Mushroom, and other non-pathogen.

I tolerate supplements well, but I try to be careful on balance because my PEM includes terrible acid reflux and then I have to stop supplements briefly.

I've never done low dose dexamethhasone. Steroids do concern me as my immune function seems delicate. LDN didn't do much for me.