• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nausea! Help?

Hi all,
I suffer with frequent and severe nausea, it comes on completely random and suddenly and varies from unpleasant to feeling on the verge of vomiting! I also have a terrible appetite and find eating hard without feeling sick/stomach problems after. I get hungry like "rumbly tummy" sort of hungry but just don't fancy food, so I've become horribly good at force feeding myself! Does anyone have any suggestions? Or anything you do/take to help with similar symtoms to mine? Thanks

Wolfcub

Well, obviously I can't know what's causing this in the first place. Hope someone may have better ideas than me about how to get to the core of the problem and treating that.

Have you seen a doctor about the GI problems?

But I also had random nausea and it went on for a while after starting suddenly with the infection which started my issues way back in March. Most likely MY causes were vastly different to yours....
It has eased up now.

What I found definitely helped me re: symptoms were a few things:
1. Was knowing it usually passed off in an hour or so (to mysteriously appear again at some random time! Not funny!)
2. Definitely fresh Ginger root. I would cut small slices about 1/4 inch thick, and nibble at them and they helped a lot with that. I stored them in the freezer, as one ginger root makes lots of pieces.
3. Oddly enough a few sips of Brandy would help me, and strangely would often bring back my appetite within a few minutes. Not too much. Maybe 1-3 teaspoons. Even though I was a bit alcohol intolerant, this helped a lot.

There are OTC anti-nausea pills you could take such as those for seasickness and air sickness etc. But I never did. They can have side effects and may not suit you....I don't know.

You may have gastritis....again I can't say. That can cause a rumbly tummy at times. That can be caused by Helicobacter Pylori.
There are so many possibilities with that symptom. Not all of them related to the stomach itself!

Last edited:

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
My mom gets this if she hasn't eaten enough.

If you can handle a more gentle food like maybe rice or yogurt or crackers and just eat a small bit that may make the nausea go away. It usually helps when other things like the ginger @Wolfcub mentioned don't.

We buy the candied version though and in bulk because ginger does help a lot too.

We also use seltzer water with nothing else in it and that helps sometimes as well.

@Wolfcub thanks, yes I have seen a doctor enough this more than once and had tests/scan, but unless they find something obvious they just send you home to get on with your life!
I do use ginger, like @Judee I use the candied ginger or ginger sweets I also have ginger tea, this can help to sooth a bit but my nausea is very bad! I have also tried to find a pattern to my nausea, is it...after eating, before eating, morning, evening etc but just can't find a pattern and I get it most every day!

Crux

Zofran is an anti-emetic that antagonizes 5HT 3 receptors. If serotonin is stuck in the gut, nausea can result.
B-6 may help to metabolize the serotonin , relieving nausea, if that's the cause.

Increasing gut acid can help nausea. HCl, ACV, etc.

When my cortisol gets low, I get nauseous. I'll take salt tablets to stop the vomit. The chloride is the active ingredient.

Liver trouble can also cause nausea.

Wolfcub

Have you thought about possible inner ear issues?

Total exhaustion can cause nausea, in my case, anyway. But it is usually not severe, though unpleasant with a host of other symptoms that come along with it.

Are there generally any times of day it's worse....or better?

Mine was pretty random and I couldn't connect it with any foods, lack of food, eating etc. It was rare to feel it as soon as I woke up and late at night though. I did a lot of eating late at night as it was at that time I often felt much better. But it would be more likely to come on say -2 hours after getting out of bed, and through until mid evening. But even then, not constant, and not every single day.
In my case it was very connected to a real bone-deep exhaustion felt throughout my body. Sometimes I would be so weirdly bushwhacked, I would start to cry from weariness. Strangely after crying, the nausea would lift and go away!

taniaaust1

More then one thing may be possibly causing your nausea which makes me harder to figure out.

I have quite a few things which give me nausea.

1/ Going too long between meals (I can then feel so nauseus that I do not want to eat)
2/ Being overly stimulated or overly exhausted
3/ ME flaring
4/ chemical exposures
5/ If I get into too much of an anxious state

I used to take an anti nausea prescription drug of the same kind they give the chemo patients but I nowdays understand the things which give me nausea so no longer take those. (things like peppermint, ginger.. never helped with my nausea).

Keep trying to figure out the cause/s

Hi @Wolfcub

Total exhaustion can cause nausea, in my case, anyway.

I am pretty much constantly exhausted so maybe that's just the reason?

Are there generally any times of day it's worse....or better?

Not consistently, I also at times have nausea all day for days in a row!!!

My mum did suggest cutting out dairy just in case! Any idea if dairy is a common problem with ME sufferers? Or maybe another intolerance, I have already tried gluten free diet! Also doesn't seem to do next to eating but I guess it could be?

wonderoushope

I have had this issue. Did you get bloating or hunger pains?

My doctors fobbed me off for a long while until I insisted in seeing a gastroenterologist. Got a colonoscopy and found to have mild gastritis and GERD (silent reflux is what I have).

However, it kept on reappearing every few years and had to get numerous colonoscopies so I had reoccurring gastritis. I suspect it's because I was sensitive to lots of foods and was aggravating my gut. I was sick of getting the re-occurring gastritis (and suspected it was food intolerances) saw a dietician and we did an elimination diet. To be honest, I don't know the exact culprit are, but I know getting my gut back in shape with more vegetables and fibre seemed to help a lot. Keep to a low chemical diet seems to help as well. I try to steer clear from processed foods and preservatives. So far it is pretty good (for about a year). However, it does seem to disappear for a long while and eventually come back, but I am hoping this time it won't come back. I also think the illness just makes your gut more sensitive at times and sometimes your gut will go into somewhat of a remission and then other times it will play up. I will say it took a long while for my stomach to settle even on a low chemical diet. It took about 6 months of a real strict diet to get my stomach to settle and not have nausea. Even on the diet, there were days were just the silliest thing would set me off. So I guess I am trying to say, it can take a while for your stomach to settle down and you might not see results for a long while.

Moof

I had gastritis due to h.pylori, which a breath test failed to diagnose. The nausea was constant and utterly miserable, and I could barely speak sometimes without feeling as if I was about to be sick! It got very severe before I was referred for upper endoscopy, which finally diagnosed it.

During that time, and when I've had nausea caused by exhaustion since, the only thing that worked well was Phenergan. I always keep some in the house; it's sedating, but it works so well that it's worth it for me.

I hope you manage to find some solutions. If you haven't already had a recent upper endoscopy, it's well worth doing so that they can take some biopsies.