• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Natural Treatments for MS?

G

green1706

Don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I have a friend with MS :( and need to know...:confused:

Natural Treatments for MS vary, and each approach has great benefits. Using any alternative or complimentary approach should involve guidance from your physician. The following approaches may help:
Yoga
Yoga for multiple sclerosis is a very promising approach that offers the following benefits:
Improve mood
Lessen fatigue
Improved cognitive functioning
While clinical studies support the claim that yoga can improve mood and lessen fatigue, no studies have found improvements in cognitive functioning in clinical trials.

Reflexology

Reflexology for MS can help by:
Improve muscle strength
Lessen spasms
Lessen intensity of paresthesias
Reduce urinary problems
Reduce sensory problems
Reflexology has been found to be helpful in these realms in clinical studies.

Vitamin D

Vitamin D is believed to help reduce all of the symptoms of MS effectively, as it is thought to prevent and treat the condition by some. Some clinical trials have found that vitamin D may have a preventative effect on the development of MS.

Does anyone know more?:confused:

PS:
An amazing invention I have seen is the so called berkelbike, a revolutionary, award winning tricycle which can be propelled by both your arms and legs. The BerkelBike makes cycling possible despite MS, Polio, Spinal Cord Injury or Stroke.

:tear:

Mithriel

I have ME but I think I now have MS as well. I have attended an MS therapy centre for over thirteen years.

While all these things can help people with MS feel better they are not cures and often do not slow the course of the disease.
As with CFS many people with MS spend a fortune and go on a roller coaster of emotion by looking frantically for a cure.

That said, I think reflexology helps because touch sends signal through the nerves and brain which keeps the paths open - like a car going up and down a track keeps the vegetation down :Retro smile: An oversimplification and probably wrong but never mind.

Aromatherapy massage is excellent at keeping spasms down. I have seen people manage to use crutches rather than a wheelchair thanks to it.

Sublingual B12 helps some people a lot especially with fatigue. The sublingual route means you can have some every day rather than weekly injections.

I think vit D is very important in diabetes and ME as well as MS and we will hear more and more about it.

Hyperbaric oxygen is good for fatigue and often helps bladder and eye problems.

Hope your friend finds something to help.

Mithriel

Frank

Although it's not a "natural treatment".. If i had MS i would certainly look into LDN or LOW DOSE NALTREXONE

You can find a lot about it on the internet, i have no personal experiences with this (yet).

Hysterical Woman

green

Don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I have a friend with MS :( and need to know...:confused:

Natural Treatments for MS vary, and each approach has great benefits. Using any alternative or complimentary approach should involve guidance from your physician. The following approaches may help:

SNIP

Vitamin D

Vitamin D is believed to help reduce all of the symptoms of MS effectively, as it is thought to prevent and treat the condition by some. Some clinical trials have found that vitamin D may have a preventative effect on the development of MS.

Does anyone know more?:confused:

PS:
An amazing invention I have seen is the so called berkelbike, a revolutionary, award winning tricycle which can be propelled by both your arms and legs. The BerkelBike makes cycling possible despite MS, Polio, Spinal Cord Injury or Stroke.

:tear:

Hi green,

You are a nice person to help your friend this way!:Retro smile:

Re the Vit. D, one needs magnesium to convert Vit. D into it's active form.

Do you know what kind of M.S. she has? Is it atypical?

Also, what about B12? I have just started reading the book "Could It Be B12" which is very interesting. Low B12 in the body can mimic symptoms of MS so she might consider having her B12 tested.

There is a great thread on B12 which is huge and loaded with information from people who have had some great success using it. You might want to check that out.

Good Luck,

Maxine

Chris

MS and natural approaches

Hi; I believe that Dr. John McDougall is running a small scale stufy of a radically low fat vegetarian diet for MS, along the lines of Dean Ornish's work with heart disease, and following the under appreciated work of Dr. Swank who years ago showed that such a diet improved MS, though the "official" MS societies pretty much disregarded his small studies. Chris

Chris

More MS stuff

Hi--there is an interesting website, www.direct-MS.org, run from Calgary, that holds a good deal of thoughtful info on especially dietary approaches to MS--worth exploring, I think. Chris