• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nasty adrenaline rush during the early morning hours!

Booble

Yes for me this goes on for several hours. Probably adrenaline rush for you, I also wonder if it’s a sudden wake from deep sleep? That would also trigger an adrenaline response but not sure why you’d suddenly wake from deep sleep?

UGH that was me this morning. I had one of those nights where you wake up and can't sleep for hours. I fell back to sleep around 5am-ish. When I was into a deep, deep, deep sleep, hubby touched my arm or said my name or both. I was pulled out of this dream. I didn't know what was happening, like coming out of anesthesia, but I heard weird vibration noises/feeling and realized it was coming from my chest. I put my finger to my neck and the pulse was racing so fast like never before. Scary scary. I started to wake up but was groggy and panicked all at the same time. I was definitely scared I might be in some kind of arrythmia that may or may not right itself. Today has been tough with exhaustion. Have to admit I'm a little nervous about going to sleep tonight.
Long winded story to say I get that adrenaline response when suddenly woken from deep sleep too. It has happened several times.

MCASMike

The Holtor monitor confirmed Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia , and I'm back on Metroprolol, which I was taking a few years ago for POTS (though I also want to see if Ketotifen might help). However, after doing quite a bit of research and considering my symptoms, my guess is that I have a different form of POTS:

"A second (and less frequent) form of POTS is termed the “hyperadrenergic” form.9 These patients often describe a more gradual and progressive emergence of symptoms over time rather then an abrupt onset. Patients with hyperadrenergic POTS often complain of significant tremor, anxiety, and cold sweaty extremities while upright. Over half of these patients experience migraine headaches as well as a significant increase in urinary output after being upright for only a short period of time. A characteristic of this form of POTS is that patients will often display orthostatic hypertension in addition to orthostatic tachycardia. Many will also have an exaggerated response to intravenous isoproterenol, as well as significantly elevated serum norepinephrine levels (>600 ng/mL) on standing. The disorder often has a strong family history. A study by Shannon et al found that some patients have a single point mutation that produces a poorly functioning reuptake transporter protein that recycles norepinephrine within the intrasynaptic cleft.10 This process leads to an excessive degree of norepinephrine serum spillover in response to a number of sympathetic stimuli, producing a “hyperadrenergic” state (similar to that seen in pheochromocytoma)."

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.107.761643

Last edited: