• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Narcolepsy is an auto-immune disorder

D

Denn

Thanks for posting, Hoping. Narcolepsy was one of my earliest acute symptoms. Had to laugh at the reference to "hypocretin deficiency" though. I have been told that my problem was due to "hypercretin abundancy"! :eek:

Be well,
Denn

spit

Thanks for the link! I had been missing from the internets, so I missed this, and was happy to see it. Exciting, honestly -- they'd already found some pretty solid evidence that narcolepsy is autoimmune, but this is a really important finding both as confirmation and as identification of an actual, specific reactive autoantigen.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I've got it and yes it is classified as an autoimmune disease now. Stanford Sleep Research and an Japanese study published at almost the same time and I don't believe they were related.

They are suppose to be working on a nasal mist that has had good success with dog at Stanford that has it, but they seem to be more concerned with cataplexy than the uncontrollable sleep.

I have never had cataplexy and haven't been screened for that gene that suppose to be decent indicator of narcolepsy.

Enid

Great discovery Hoping - yes very much part of my own problems too. How well research moves on now.

xchocoholic

Interesting. Mine went away 7 - 10 days post gf diet. I've had it once or twice after getting to much gluten
cross contamination.

It's annoying finding out that so many of my problems were from gluten and no one
knew this. A simple genetic test for gluten intolerance could've saved me from years of this crap. I have the
DQ2 celiac gene.

fwiw, I have noctural myoclonus (jerking) which wakes me up when going into rem so my sleep study expert missed this.
Duh ! Lol. Tc ... X