• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nancy Klimas Answers Questions on XMRV

Summer

[Note: Nancy addresses transmission and contrasts to HIV.]

Here, Dr. Nancy G. Klimas, who serves on the board of directors of the organization, answers questions on the recently discovered retrovirus and clinical care of chronic fatigue syndrome. Dr. Klimas is a director of the department of immunology of the University of Miami School of Medicine and director of research for clinical AIDS/H.I.V. research at the Miami Veterans Affairs Medical Center.

"My H.I.V. patients for the most part are hale and hearty thanks to three decades of intense and excellent research and billions of dollars invested. Many of my C.F.S. patients, on the other hand, are terribly ill and unable to work or participate in the care of their families.

I split my clinical time between the two illnesses, and I can tell you if I had to choose between the two illnesses (in 2009) I would rather have H.I.V.
"

Readers Ask: A Virus Linked to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

A

anne

I don't understand why they would ask an immunologist like Dr. Klimas about a biological illness when we could get more wisdom from psychologists!

KC22

Dr. Klimas

I think it is outstanding that the New York Times has not let this story drop. They just keep digging deeper and deeper.

I couldn't believe about the part with the CDC and how they wouldn't let the research on retrovirus move forward because they wanted it to be psych issues. I have never seen another doctor be so forthright with this information.

We should try to continue to blog on this site and send e-mails. The Times has to see how much press they are getting from running these stories.

Amazing!!!:)

Dreambirdie

work in progress
"My H.I.V. patients for the most part are hale and hearty thanks to three decades of intense and excellent research and billions of dollars invested. Many of my C.F.S. patients, on the other hand, are terribly ill and unable to work or participate in the care of their families.

I split my clinical time between the two illnesses, and I can tell you if I had to choose between the two illnesses (in 2009) I would rather have H.I.V."

EUREKA! ]BULL's EYE! BINGO!

The Phantom

I think it is outstanding that the New York Times has not let this story drop. They just keep digging deeper and deeper.

I couldn't believe about the part with the CDC and how they wouldn't let the research on retrovirus move forward because they wanted it to be psych issues. I have never seen another doctor be so forthright with this information.

We should try to continue to blog on this site and send e-mails. The Times has to see how much press they are getting from running these stories.

Amazing!!!:)

Just to keep the record straight, I think it was the person who was asking the question, not Dr. Klimas, who made the comment about the CDC. Still, it's great to see that issue printed in the New York Times and wonderful that they're keeping the story going.

Dainty

I split my clinical time between the two illnesses, and I can tell you if I had to choose between the two illnesses (in 2009) I would rather have H.I.V.
"

Readers Ask: A Virus Linked to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Chalk this up to the first article that made me cry...it is so good to see the public being informed of just how difficult our plight is compared to the well-known suffering of HIV.

mezombie

Patience

From one of Dr. Klimas' responses:

" I would also ask patients to be patient a little bit longer so that researchers can devise and perform the sort of clinical trials that will let us know if this virus is the linchpin in continued illness."

Seriously, folks. There is so much we don't know yet!

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
I like this - both the NYT for keeping after it - and Dr. Klimas for being a voice of calm in the storm. I'm hearing that not all the research community is convinced. We won't be able to pop any bubbly until the study(ies) get replicated, until we can see high enough viral loads to cause problems, until viral loads are correlated with symptom severity etc. :)