• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NAD+ IV Reaction?

confetti11

Hello, I had my third NAD+ infusion yesterday afternoon. There's been about 4-5 days in between each infusion. I built up: 1st IV: 200mg, 2nd: 400mg, 3rd: 600mg

The first two didn't create much difference other than I seem to have more strength and energy. Like it picked me up. It didn't last but the evening after I did feel better.

I had something odd happen after this third one, and I'm curious if anyone who knows more about this treatment than I do can help me sort this out.

I went to get my infusion yesterday feeling no worse than usual. I normally feel some level of sick, tired, achy. Felt the same just after.

I then went to restorative yoga, and during the class started to shiver uncontrollably. The room was cold but no more than usual when a blanket just takes care of it. I could have put 10 blankets on me and it wouldn't make a difference.

Came straight home where I still couldn't get warm for over an hour. Finally stopped shivering and went to bed. Took my temperature out of curiosity, and it was 101 degrees. I had zero other symptoms (no cold-like or gastro)

Didn't take anything for it, and the temperature came down on its own overnight. It's now back to my normal (which is a low normal). The only other thing I have today is some congestion that comes and goes.

Does anyone know if NAD+ can ignite an immune response? I find the timing very suspect. I'm wondering if the higher dose (for me) did this.

From googling, I can find that NAD+ does affect the immune system (regulates?) but I'm not scientific enough to discern if it can cause such a swift reaction.

Can't ask my doctor yet either since it's the weekend.

Thanks!

junkcrap50

I've did 2 weeks of NAD+ IV infusions at 500mg of NAD+ each day, with weekends off.

I never had any such type of immune response. My symptoms and side effects were only during the IV infusion. If the IV drip was too fast, I had: body wide burning that was severely discomforting, shortness of breath, kind of overwhelming feeling/mild panic, and GI distress with bloating and diarrhea. These side effects slightly improved as I continued in the week. However, when the IV was over, I felt back to normal and usually a lot better now that the side effects were gone.

I've often had the sudden chills and shivering though with my CFS and it would usually be quite sudden onset. I never took my temperature, but would usually sweat with my chills. My chills and shivering would often precede and be relieved or go away entirely by a sudden, voluminous, detoxing bowel movement. So, I usually would think that the chills and shivering was caused by me detoxing.

NAD+ could have started some sort of detox for you.

As aside, the IV NAD+ did not give me any improvements or benefits. I might try more at a higher dose some time in the future.

Also, ask @Learner1 as he/she also has done IV NAD+.

confetti11

Thanks for your thoughts @junkcrap50.

So far, I haven't had any reaction during the IV itself. They go pretty slowly though.

The detox is an interesting theory. I assumed an immune response (even if it is an actual virus) due to the fever, but a large toxic release could explain it as well. I don't get shivering or chills as a norm so this was unusual.

Do you know what the nature of NAD+ is though that would cause a detox?

confetti11

I heard back from my doctor, and he said it could have been die off.

If it was a virus, it sped through my body. Doesn't seem likely. I hate these mysteries. I just wish I knew what was going on.

junkcrap50

Thanks for your thoughts @junkcrap50.

So far, I haven't had any reaction during the IV itself. They go pretty slowly though.

The detox is an interesting theory. I assumed an immune response (even if it is an actual virus) due to the fever, but a large toxic release could explain it as well. I don't get shivering or chills as a norm so this was unusual.

Do you know what the nature of NAD+ is though that would cause a detox?

NAD+ could have jump started your mitochondria which made it start creating or clearing out mitochondrial waste. I'm not sure exactly how it would cause a detox. But that'd be my guess.

Gondwanaland

I had a similar reaction when I started LDN. I think it was opioid withdrawal. It lasted less than a week. As a result my body is making more NAD.

Surely taking NAD interferes with Triptophan / serotonin metabolism and could be causing opioid withdrawal for you as well. Just a wild guess.

confetti11

NAD+ could have jump started your mitochondria which made it start creating or clearing out mitochondrial waste. I'm not sure exactly how it would cause a detox. But that'd be my guess.

Thanks...I'm not sure what mitochondrial waste is though?

confetti11

I had a similar reaction when I started LDN. I think it was opioid withdrawal. It lasted less than a week. As a result my body is making more NAD.

Surely taking NAD interferes with Triptophan / serotonin metabolism and could be causing opioid withdrawal for you as well. Just a wild guess.

Thanks...you can have opioid withdrawal without taking opioids?

confetti11

Just saw this again after being tagged in another thread. I figured out since this incident that this uncontrollable shivering was likely from a series of chiropractor appointments.