• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NAC itching

Hello
I started to take NAC (Acetyl-Cysteine)and It seems to calm my back pain and stiffness, but on the other hand my body is itching everywhere, so I dont know what to do. Is It an allergic reaction? There aren't any signs in the skin but I'm afraid if I should stop. I heard It could be an histamine release..

Did anyone fix this problem so I could keep taking the NAC? Maybe take another supplement to balance this histamine?

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
NAC is a sulfur/thiol. There seems to be many here that react to those unfortunately. :(

Can you try lowering the dose a little but still take it just as often and see if just going lower helps your body overcome the itching. If that doesn't help, you could try taking it on alternating days instead.

Benedryl might help but then you'll also feel drowsy so you would probably would want to take that close to bedtime.

Hope you can figure it out.

I also wonder if you've looked into LDN. Some here seem to get pain relief from taking a low doses of that.

Hi Judee
Thanks for your answer.
Yes I tried LDN for a time and didn't work.

I stopped NAC and now I feel worse than before. I dont know if its a reaction of my body. I hope to recover soon, I dont think I try It again.
I keep searching something that can calm my back pain 😔

lenora

Hello @german-bcn......Try Ace Ice Packs. These can be found at Walmart or most drugstores, in varying sizes.

Put in the freezer, they don't freeze rock solid. Just wrap in something like light linen and I even lay on it right in the spinal area for 20 minutes (no longer). You can put another on in about 30 min. I find this numbs most pain for me. You do reach a point where you have to try everything imaginable. Drugstores here sell an Aspercreme spray with 2% lidocaine....just load up on anything that helps at all. Once the pain goes it stays away for at the very least, a number of hours. (The packs are fabric covered & can be refrozen.)

I'll be joining you for my hip pain.....thank goodness for them. Yes, a heating pad sounds better, but I've found over the past 38 or so years that cold works best for me. Heat is good for the stomach area. We're all different. Yours, Lenora

Judee

I read somewhere that cysteine, glycine, and glutamine (I think those were the three) help to make glutathione in our bodies. https://www.nutritionadvance.com/glutathione-benefits-and-foods/

I don't do well on NAC either unless I take microscopic amounts once on a rare occasion but was wondering if I took a pinch of each of those together if it would work better. ??

Anyway the combo is on my list of things to try but it's good if you're having problems with NAC to do a wash out avoidance period before even thinking about trying again.

Pyrrhus in one thread also talked about only being able to take NAC once a week in the beginning and even then said it was difficult. :(

Alternately can you try mixing some in an oil and applying it topically or can you just try to eat a lot of foods with cysteine?
https://www.livestrong.com/article/531520-food-sources-of-n-acetyl-cysteine/

Sometimes, that's the only way I can handle these things and even then may not do so well on them. Like Sulfur/Thiols give me migraines. I love things like brussel sprouts and spinach but just cannot eat them very often because I'll get a headache for a couple days afterward. :(

Last edited:

Judee

I keep searching something that can calm my back pain 😔
Can you try TENS, Kinesio Tape, and/or Chiropractic or DO adjustments? Those used to help my Mom with severe spine/rib pain?

I also used to crush up ibuprofen and mix it with lotion and rub it on her back. You can go too high on the dose though...one time I mixed about 4 of them into the lotion and one side of her face started to tingle...not good. :(

They do make a lotion with ibuprofen but it smells so horrible. They put something into it that smells like a very strong ammonia so don't recommend that.

Hope you can find something.

Hello
Sorry but I would appreciate some help, because I'm a bit desperated...

I feel much worse than before taking the NAC.
I red in another forum that in some cases NAC can increase histamine intolerance and reduce gluthation.
Could it damage my body and cause more pain? I'm very afraid because I dont know how long I'm going to be like this. I dont know what is gluthation and the effects that can be caused to my body..

Judee

If it's an allergic reaction then you might need an antihistamine. Can you talk to your doctor and see what he recommends?

I'm sorry, you're going through this. I do think the effects should wear off with avoiding it now but unfortunately, with this disease it's difficult to know for sure how long that would take...maybe less than a week or two.

:(

Wish I could offer you more advice than that. I'm sorry.

Edit: I was having a bad reaction to medication they gave me in the hospital recently and it took about 4 days to wear off. Hopefully it will be the same for you too.

Last edited: