• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Myra McClure States She's Withdrawn From NIH SEP Panel !

justinreilly

Eek, I had not heard that. Where and how did she express this revolting attitude?
What on EARTH do these people have against this lil' ol' disease, anyway?

Perhaps if we all grew foul-smelling suppurating lesions on our faces that every few minutes spewed retroviral spores into the air in wee visible pink clouds, they might consider addressing it.
Until then, well, we'll just continue to lie here "enjoying" ourselves, shan't we.

Ha ha, that's right.

That was my take on Unger's inaction so far and her testimony at the first CFSAC after she was named acting chief where she said she likes the Reeves defintion and is going to keep it (but might look into tweaking it) and i think she said in response to a question from Prof. Jason (natch) that she thought the "CFS" program was good and she didn't plan on making any changes to it.

justinreilly

http://forums.aboutmecfs.org/content.php?251-CDC-at-the-CFSAC-Meeting
Cort rather overstates the past biomedical research (for instance, cortisol doesn't do anything to change the misperceptions about the Disease, particularly not from Reeves disease), but there you have Unger's statement (which I think is probably as much related to pressure from one or more superiors as to her own opinion, as she seems to have been a reasonably smart and decent person prior to taking on this job)

See Unger's statement to the press here (Unger is quoted on pages 1 and 3):
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/MindMo...ersonality-disorders/story?id=12102316&page=1

She doesn't mention that the study was done with the fraudulent Reeves definition and so is invalid and that the study(ies) that have been done using Fukuda found no more personality disorders (and maybe less i don't remember) than other severe physical diseases like MS. That would've been nice for her to mention. She could have just said "And I'll add that what I just said was a lie and the science has shown there is no correlation between ME and personality disorders." It would have taken her 5 seconds.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
She doesn't mention that the study was done with the fraudulent Reeves definition and so is invalid and that the study(ies) that have been done using Fukuda found no more personality disorders (and maybe less i don't remember) than other severe physical diseases like MS. That would've been nice for her to mention. She could have just said "And I'll add that what I just said was a lie and the science has shown there is no correlation between ME and personality disorders." It would have taken her 5 seconds.

which would make her loose her job but if she seriously wanted to do the right thing she could be a whistleblower, and she could have done this already, so I don't feel sorry for her, but I still think the problem originates above her and we have to do something about whoever has more rank... that person, or persons, should be our priority

meantime, we should not expect any important or significant changes from CDC

we need those GOA investigations!

Kate_UK

In the comments on this blog there are some suggestions of who we should campaign to have replace McClure - http://www.cfscentral.com/2011/02/we-are-not-crumbs-editorial.html#comments

Scientists who ME/CFS patients might want on SEP, and other committees that decide the fate of ME/CFS patients, include: Leonard Jason, Ila Singh, Anthony Komaroff, Daniel Peterson, Paul Cheney, Frank Ruscetti, David Bell, Susan Levine, Joseph Burrascano, Eric Klein, Judy Mikovits, Robert Silverman, Charles Lapp, Peter Rowe, Martin Lerner, David Streeten, Dharam Ablashi, Harvey Alter, Shyh-Ching Lo, David Strayer, Paul Levine, Robert Suhadolnik, Fred Friedberg, Donnica Moore, Lucinda Bateman, Kenny de Meirleir, Ellen Goudsmit, Byron Hyde, Sam Chow, Alan Light, Kathleen Light, Martin Pall, Rich van Konynenburg.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
Could hardly believe it - delighted for you all.

my hope is that any one country's research is the world's research... any major country's health authority influences the other health authorities (except we don't listen to Japan? so at least any Western health authority)... whatever we can swing HAS to spill over into Australia, Canada, UK, Europe...

http://www.cfscentral.com/2011/02/we-are-not-crumbs-editorial.html#comments

Scientists who ME/CFS patients might want on SEP, and other committees that decide the fate of ME/CFS patients, include: Leonard Jason, Ila Singh, Anthony Komaroff, Daniel Peterson, Paul Cheney, Frank Ruscetti, David Bell, Susan Levine, Joseph Burrascano, Eric Klein, Judy Mikovits, Robert Silverman, Charles Lapp, Peter Rowe, Martin Lerner, David Streeten, Dharam Ablashi, Harvey Alter, Shyh-Ching Lo, David Strayer, Paul Levine, Robert Suhadolnik, Fred Friedberg, Donnica Moore, Lucinda Bateman, Kenny de Meirleir, Ellen Goudsmit, Byron Hyde, Sam Chow, Alan Light, Kathleen Light, Martin Pall, Rich van Konynenburg.

Getting David Streeten on the SEP would be quite an accomplishment!;)

ukxmrv

Willow, have a read of Osler's Web. Prof(s) Behan and Dr Gow were opposed to retroviral involvement in ME during the time of Defreitas, Holmes, Martin etc. I had some correspondance with them at the time and watched it closely.