• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Myoclonic jerks!

Francelle

Anybody else get Myoclonic jerks with Tramadol?

I have started to get Myoclonic jerks at almost precisely the same time as I started regular SR (sustained released) Tramadol. Don't know whether this is co-incidence and is therefore another of my myriad symptoms or a side effect of Tramadol!

Last week I went to a doctor at my usual clinic who felt that the timing of onset of these Myoclonic jerks suggested a Tramadol causation, so she halved my dose yet the jerks have still not ceased, in fact, may even be worse.

Any thoughts?

Wonko

I have them, without tramadol, but I didnt (as far as I remember) at onset, TBH I cant remember anything like them until I was put on Carbamazepine (which oddly enough is an anticonvulsant lol) because at that point my GP suspected my neurological issues may have been epilepsy related (they're not)

ever since then I've had myclonic like seizures (my current GP has informed me they arent myclonics - as I'm not epileptic they cant be - I also dont have any other forms of seizures accordign to her - as I'm not epileptic i dont have seizures but merely feel the need to lie about havign seizures - the NHS - where would we be without it lol)

I dont take antiseizure meds anymore, or much of anything apart from pain relief, and havent for about 15 years, but I still have myclonic like seizures several times a day, if it's a bad day then tens of times a day

Are you on an antidepressant or antiseizure med that's used as a second line antidepressant (I take Lamictal, for example)? Combining tramadol with an antidepressant can cause Serotonin Syndrome which can have serious effects due to too much serotonin.

Francelle

Hi paclabman!

I am not on any antidepressants but am on Lyrica which is an antiseizure med. Lyrica is to help my neuropathic pain. I have no indication at all of depression.

The Myoclonic type jerks are continuing despite the dose reduction. I will do some research on Serotonin Syndrome.

Wonko, I used the term Myoclonic jerks because that is a symptom associated with (among other things) Tramadol usage in some people and does not seem to be solely an epilepsy related term. It seems they are a symptom but not always a disease diagnosis.

Regardless of terminology, the 'jerks' I am having are of significant enough concern for the doctor to reduce my dose by half and ask me to report back in about one week.

taniaaust1

Anybody else get Myoclonic jerks with Tramadol?

I have started to get Myoclonic jerks at almost precisely the same time as I started regular SR (sustained released) Tramadol. Don't know whether this is co-incidence and is therefore another of my myriad symptoms or a side effect of Tramadol!

Last week I went to a doctor at my usual clinic who felt that the timing of onset of these Myoclonic jerks suggested a Tramadol causation, so she halved my dose yet the jerks have still not ceased, in fact, may even be worse.

Any thoughts?

Hi... When my CFS/ME was being fairly bad was quite neurological, I developed what the neurologists diagnosed as rhythmic myoclonus . I was doing this quite a few times every minute for many months.

Your med could of triggered off this new kind of CFS/ME symptom for you if it wasnt helping the CFS/ME. All i can say is to take care... my myoclonus ended up getting quite violent in its movements to the point were my head would start whipping sideways when wind hit my face (in response to stimuli) and all kinds of other kinds of jerks and spasms. I even spasmed so badly while sitting on the floor that I got once thrown then onto my face (almost getting a blood nose out of this).

Fortunately as the CFS/ME improved, my ME symptom complex changed so I dont get any neurological jerking and spasming currently.

sleepy237

I got these with metronidazole and with an antidepressant sertraline, i think its sensitivity and if the symptoms are outweighing the benefit of the painkiller i would stop taking them and consult yur pharmaicist