• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MyMycolab Test? Valid test for mycotoxins?

Hoosierfans

Would love folks thoughts on this mycotoxin test, which my functional medicine doc wants me to take. This is AFTER a urine mycotoxin test was negative…for everything.

Im trying to discern whether this test is valid, as it looks at levels of IGG and IGE to molds and mycotoxins…normally IGG levels are indicative of a *past* exposure to viruses and bacteria; it tells you nothing about current exposures / colonization etc.

Would love the thoughts from the superknowledgeable folks here! Here’s the description of the test. @Hip any thoughts?

“MyMycoLab is a laboratory specializing in blood serum antibody testing for mycotoxins. Our laboratory tests for 12 different mycotoxins for both IgG and IgE antibodies. This is the most precise and accurate method to determine if a person has been exposed to mycotoxins.

Mycotoxins and molds have been called "The Great Masquerader" by the World Health Organization. This is because they imitate so many other illnesses and conditions that they are difficult to diagnose and treat.

The first step is to see if you are suffering from the effects of mycotoxins and molds. Molds are biological, but mycotoxins are toxins, therefore much more dangerous. This blood serum test is the most precise and accurate test there is for the detection of the body's reaction to mycotoxins, both toxicologically and/or allergically. With the results of this test panel, a health care professional can then take the next step and start treatment.

Each test result comes with a full explanation of the mycotoxins, what the results mean, and what are the recommended treatments, with over 110 references as a guide.

The cost for the panel of 24 antibodies is $380.”

Hip

@Hip any thoughts?

I don't know anything about this mycotoxin antibody test, I am afraid. Though there seem to be several Reddit discussions about the MyMycoLab mycotoxin antibody test.

I seem to remember there was some controversy about the urine test, because some mycotoxins this test detects might just come from your food:

The bottom line is that if RealTime says you have mycotoxins in your urine, then it appears they are likely right for Trichothecenes and Ochratoxins. Although when it comes to Ochratoxin, you won’t know if you have high levels are from moldy food or being in a moldy building.
Source: here

Hoosierfans

Thanks @Hip. We all know how tired we all get throwing money after money after money with darn tests and then suggested treatments. So I’m trying to be more discerning in what I run when something is suggested by a FM practitioner.

I’ll check out the Reddit threads. If the test isn’t a valid test (ie IGG / IGE levels to molds / mycotoxins don’t tell us anything about current infection / immune reaction), I don’t want to waste $400.

I just went through something similar w EBV — I just had EBV EA (high), VCA IGG (super high), VCA IGM (normal), EBV NA IGG (super high) and separately had a PCR (negative) done. I had one doc tell me that my EBV was as reactivated / viral particles causing issues so wants me on high dose antivirals for 6 months. My PCP says no way, everything indicates a past infection so antivirals won’t do anything.

It’s all maddening and makes you wanna pull your hair out!

tyson oberle

Thanks @Hip. We all know how tired we all get throwing money after money after money with darn tests and then suggested treatments. So I’m trying to be more discerning in what I run when something is suggested by a FM practitioner.

I’ll check out the Reddit threads. If the test isn’t a valid test (ie IGG / IGE levels to molds / mycotoxins don’t tell us anything about current infection / immune reaction), I don’t want to waste $400.

I just went through something similar w EBV — I just had EBV EA (high), VCA IGG (super high), VCA IGM (normal), EBV NA IGG (super high) and separately had a PCR (negative) done. I had one doc tell me that my EBV was as reactivated / viral particles causing issues so wants me on high dose antivirals for 6 months. My PCP says no way, everything indicates a past infection so antivirals won’t do anything.

It’s all maddening and makes you wanna pull your hair out!
So did you ever do this MyMycoLab test? Have you learned anything about whether this test is worthwhile to take? Or does anyone else know?
Anyway, I did the urine mycotoxin test and my gliotoxins were about 30x higher than the highest normal range. My doctor prescribed Nyastin, NAC, G.I. Detox (binder), and Saccaromyces Boulardii but I never felt a difference. Over one year later i still take NAC, G.I. Detox and S. Boulardii but I don't think they're doing anything