• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Myalgic encephalomyelitis and chronic fatigue syndrome case definitions: effects of requiring a substantial reduction in functioning. (Scartozzi 2019)

Murph

:)
Fatigue. 2019;7(2):59-68. doi: 10.1080/21641846.2019.1600825. Epub 2019 Apr 1.
Myalgic encephalomyelitis and chronic fatigue syndrome case definitions: effects of requiring a substantial reduction in functioning.
Scartozzi S1, Sunnquist M1, Jason LA1.
Author information
1Center for Community Research, DePaul University, Chicago, IL, USA.
Abstract
Background:
Current case definitions for myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) and chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) require an individual to report a 'substantial reduction' in activity levels, when compared to premorbid functioning. However, little guidance is provided on how to measure these reductions, as well as what level of reduction should be deemed 'substantial,' leading to inconsistencies in how this criterion is applied across research settings.
Purpose:
The current study examined the influence of substantial reduction criterion on case definitions.
Method:
The current study analyzed an international convenience sample of 1002 individuals with ME or CFS, 53 healthy controls, and 260 controls with other chronic illnesses.
Results:
Findings indicated that the utility of the substantial reduction criterion varied by case definition, with more stringent case definitions not needing this criterion to identify cases.
Conclusion:
These results suggest that the requirement of a substantial reduction in functioning may be redundant when case definitions specify that individuals must endorse a set of core symptoms at specified frequency and severity levels.
KEYWORDS:
Myalgic encephalomyelitis; case definitions; chronic fatigue syndrome; functional impairment; substantial reduction
PMID: 31788347 PMCID: PMC6884336 DOI: 10.1080/21641846.2019.1600825

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
Writing for the purpose of writing,
not only somehow as a theme of this article, but maybe also the article itself.

The illness presents itself as a cloud of symptoms, I would say.
For the purpose of researching the mechanism of the illness
I would think the article to be useless if not hindering.

"Reduction of functioning" - acting and exertion diminsh the possibility of acting and tolerating exertion,
I think this is core in mecfs, and then, why? as many illnesses are in line with some exertion intolerance.
Of course, if you feel dizzy, you will perfome worse at least in details, if you have pain, you might move badly.
Why is it that acting pays back that badly, and worsening can not be removed by rest soon?

The article is unimportant (or even misleading), I would say.