• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My poor nose.

Zebra

That'll be the Endoscope. ENT will only cut out the infection if any. What they won't do is give to any diagnosis on the cause of the problem.

Hi @Sledgehammer! Thanks for informing us of the correct terminology.

I actually wasn't thinking about infection at all.

A closer look at the sinuses, via endoscope, can reveal many abnormalities other than infection.

For instance, if one has nasal polyps as the source of their sinus misery, they could try targeted medication or have them removed.

Additionally, some dangerous diseases, such as vasculitis, commonly affect the sinuses.

My point, to @Booble, is that there's much that can be ruled out by an ENT before resigning oneself to chronic sinus misery.

lenora

Hello All.....It's allergy time in many parts of our country (U.S. I live in N. Texas), but all over the world. Nothing seems to conquer sinus issues. That includes winter, also.

Personally, I agree with Juanita. I think we need 3 or even 4 places to breathe out of. Why couldn't our ears have also been used for such a purpose?

Allergies are very common among us. I've noticed that and even if you move to a different place, they'll usually start again within 2 years or so. I do believe that molds or funguses indoors can cause problems. My husband even got rid of a humidifier b/c we suspected it may be a hiding place for spores of some sort. Heating and air conditioning ducts, even fireplaces....all seem to have their problems. Xmas decorations are murderous if you suffer from allergies. And my house is kept quite clean, but obviously not clean enough. Good luck as you sniffle through tomorrow. Yours, Lenora (I can't sleep b/c I'm too stuffed up at the moment. Lots of yellow/green pollen that has blown in from W. Texas. No, even a neti pot won't help, Ocean Spray (No), antihistamines sometimes do, but cause too many leg problems. It's nice to have company. L.

Last edited by a moderator:

godlovesatrier

Could it be tree pollen? My nose is semi regularly blocked and it has bled once so far, is otherwise very itchy and/or stuffy all the time. I'm taking 3 anti histamines a day when it's very bad (due to the unseasonably cold weather in the UK the tree pollen isn't in full fettle right now). But I've been taking piriton at night (not sure if this stuff works really for me), citrizine hydrochloride about 1pm and benadryl tablet when I wake up in the morning. Taking 3 at a time keeps me going. Have you tried that?

If you get this more severely and/or all year round. You might want to try very low doses doxepin which a friend in NZ who has severe ME recommended. She even said she could tolerate certain foods again while taking doxepin, but sadly her medical practitioner won't give it her anymore.

lenora

@godlovesatrier.....I don't know if you're addressing this to me or not, but I'll say that I've had this for many years and while say, benadryl works, it also causes severe leg problems for me. All antihistamines have that side-effect on me. It just about drives me crazy and I do have a medication that helps but I'm on so many already that I suffer through it all.

Yes, it probably is tree pollen and something else that we get that blows in from another part of TX. I'd tell you the name, but I can't remember it at the moment. I'm glad the meds help, and hope they won't collectively give you side-effects.

Inside something is definitely bothering me, but we can't figure out what it can be. We've had our air ducts cleaned out...not much came out, so that doesn't seem to be the problem. I've been up all night b/c of simply not breathing. Thanks!! Yours Lenora.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sledgehammer

Hi @Sledgehammer! Thanks for informing us of the correct terminology.

I actually wasn't thinking about infection at all.

A closer look at the sinuses, via endoscope, can reveal many abnormalities other than infection.

For instance, if one has nasal polyps as the source of their sinus misery, they could try targeted medication or have them removed.

Additionally, some dangerous diseases, such as vasculitis, commonly affect the sinuses.

My point, to @Booble, is that there's much that can be ruled out by an ENT before resigning oneself to chronic sinus misery.

I wasn't trying to be a smart @rse so please forgive me if my post came across like that.

My experience was good on the surgery side but frustrating on the GP's side.
I was offered steriod nasal sprays which did nothing prior to surgery except set my sinuses on fire and caused a lot of pain. A simple swab to determine what the infection was could have have had me on the road to recovery a long time ago. That opportunity was supposed to be the procedure yet it wasn't done.
I can only put this down to Incompetence.

I have an infection that won't go whatever I try and noone can tell me what's causing it.
One GP said it could be pollution while others have said nothing.

I often ask myself why am I the only sufferer I know, and how can this infection be gottten rid of.

For me personally I'm going to say it's gut related for a time until I can prove otherwise.

godlovesatrier

One excellent sinusitis remedy is Andrographis Paniculata. It might be with trying to see if it shifts any infection in your nose. Just make sure you use a decent brand like Pukka branded Andrographis.

Good luck.