• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My poor nose.

Booble

When I get flare-ups the inside of my nose gets very inflamed. It feels uncomfortably swollen and is bloody inside. It's sometimes hard to breathe through and I have to resort to mouth breathing.

Can anyone relate, commiserate or have any kind words that I can tell my poor, uncomfortable nose?

Rufous McKinney

When I get flare-ups the inside of my nose gets very inflamed. It feels uncomfortably swollen and is bloody inside. It's sometimes hard to breathe through and I have to resort to mouth breathing

thats my husband at the moment. for some time now (he doesn't have ME).

mine inflames but is dried out.

I can still share the pain of mouth breathing, some how I hold my own jaw shut half the time, sleeping on my side.

So I was reading there is an actual infection of the naso-pharyngeal area that can be treated with zinc swabs.

This seems to be a problem area of anatomy for us. Bleeding can be associated with that.

Booble

My nose sends best wishes to your husband's nose, Roofy.

I think it is anatomy related too as I've always had inflamed nose. It stinks when flare-ups seem to make it worse. Stupid inflammation. I would be curious to know about the zinc swabs. It does feel like an actual infection currently. Though very well could be allergies and my normal crap.

Juanita Vee

Sorry to hear, Booble! (and Rufous!)...
@Booble do you know if any of the discomfort/blood is from dryness? Do you have a humidifier you can try, or a neti pot?

I have sinus problems of mostly congestion. Mouth breathing is no fun. I mean, it's handy to have a back-up air hole :rofl: but it's not the ideal way to breath. I went to the dentist the other day and was kind of wishing for a 3rd air hole, but then realized I would never be happy, I'd probably just keep wanting more, lol!

Sledgehammer

When I get flare-ups the inside of my nose gets very inflamed. It feels uncomfortably swollen and is bloody inside. It's sometimes hard to breathe through and I have to resort to mouth breathing.

Any idea what's causing your poor nose to become inflamed?

Booble

Any idea what's causing your poor nose to become inflamed?

My best guess is my poor nose is having an allergic response to the air. It has been endless rain where I live and the humidity creates lots of fun (not) things like molds and such. But the swelling always seems to worsen upon activity and exercise, sort of PEM-like.
By the way, when I see your name I want to take a sledgehammer to my poor, dear nose. Open it up, clean it out and start again. Unfortunately those nasal rinses make it swell even more. Which is odd.

Rufous McKinney

My best guess is my poor nose is having an allergic response to the air. It has been endless rain where I live and the humidity creates lots of fun (not) things like molds and such. But the swelling always seems to worsen upon activity and exercise, sort of PEM-like.

well, my commiserating husband is: having also alot of itchy eye things, he is at the moment, rather a mess. Not normal for him.

In our case, its dry, not very humid, and in our case its not moldy here.

I had humidity at the heater but then- I dumped it out, I should put that pan of water back.

Booble

Sorry to hear, Booble! (and Rufous!)...
@Booble do you know if any of the discomfort/blood is from dryness? Do you have a humidifier you can try, or a neti pot?

I have sinus problems of mostly congestion. Mouth breathing is no fun. I mean, it's handy to have a back-up air hole :rofl: but it's not the ideal way to breath. I went to the dentist the other day and was kind of wishing for a 3rd air hole, but then realized I would never be happy, I'd probably just keep wanting more, lol!

I'm cracking up laughing because I often think about how we're lucky to have a backup airhole too. I never thought about having a third one but that would come in handy.

The weird part about the dryness situation is that I'm in the wettest area known to man. I do get bloody nasal passages from travel (pre-Covid) and when I'm in a less wet climate. I wonder if thyroid might be related because I have a lot of dryness for someone in such a wet locale? Both mother and grandmother had thyroid problems but I haven't checked mine in many years. ( I don't go to doctor's much anymore.) It was always borderline with the regular doc tests back in the day.

Booble

well, my commiserating husband is: having also alot of itchy eye things, he is at the moment, rather a mess. Not normal for him.

In our case, its dry, not very humid, and in our case its not moldy here.

I had humidity at the heater but then- I dumped it out, I should put that pan of water back.

Ruf, my eyes super itchy too. I've managed to accidentally rub off much of my eyebrows running my eyes. (Eek, another thyroid like thing with the loss of eyebrows.)

Dry air is tough. I wonder if your heater is also spewing out some junk that is bothering your husband's poor nose and eyes.

Sledgehammer

By the way, when I see your name I want to take a sledgehammer to my poor, dear nose. Open it up, clean it out and start again. Unfortunately those nasal rinses make it swell even more. Which is odd.

I do sympathize being a sufferer myself. No humidity here in the UK just a lot of wind, rain and cloud.
Because you mention the weather and the effect it has on you I can only suggest a warm moisture dehumidifier or a long hot shower to ease your symptoms.

At one point I put my constant battle with chronic sinusitis down to the poor air quality caused by vehicles, air and road. But since I can't shif the daily gunge with antibiotics I put it down to a virus. Two operations on my nose later did help but the problem remains. And like yourself the symptoms will worsten when the weather changes. It's odd, I can't fathom why the problem won't heal itself, and why it just attacks at random.

I agree those nasal rinses are no good either. But please don't take a Sledgehammer to your nose :xeyes:

Booble

Sorry you experience it as well. Good idea on the showering. I have been doing less showering because...well, Covid. I don't go anywhere. I'm looking forward to the rain stopping soon so I can do a little swimming. The cold water (and/or water pressure) always seems to help both the CFS/ME and the nose.

What kind of surgery did you have on your nose?

Sledgehammer

Just clear your nose when showering and have slight dig about, works for me for a while but then the gunge will come again the next morning.

I had endoscopic surgery twice. They said I had a deviated septum, OK, but that doesn't explain why the infection remains. Then I was told it had spread upward and nothing else could be done.
My Doc suggested Antibiotics again. I told her they hadn't worked in the past and so I don't think they would work now.

What the Doctors failed to do was take a swab from my nose and have it tested. The excuse was they didn't know what to test for which is fair enough.

The procedures was painless and worth it for the relief it did bring. :)

Booble

Thanks for the info. Makes sense. Glad you've gotten some relief.

You're right on the shower. I forgot that I typically do the clean things out from the nose in the shower but I haven't been showering enough lately!

Sledgehammer

Thanks for the info. Makes sense. Glad you've gotten some relief.

You're right on the shower. I forgot that I typically do the clean things out from the nose in the shower but I haven't been showering enough lately!

Time to hit the shower :)

Sledgehammer

Sir, yes, sir!

:D

One last thing I did notice that will cause this thing to flare up, smoke, of any kind.
I can no longer burn my natural incense sticks because the monster residing in my sinuses has a mind of it's own and doesn't like them :(

Zebra

Hi, Booble!

Have you ever seen an ENT about this issue?

I ask because it may be worthwhile for them to take a look up there and see what's going on.

I don't remember the exact medical term, but I've had my nose "scoped" twice.

Full disclosure: getting scoped up the nose with a tiny camera is *quite" unpleasant, but it is fairly quick and at fancier offices you can watch on a tv screen.

If they found something treatable, that might improve just this one area of your illness. I'm all about finding small solutions, while we await THE solution for ME/CFS.

My best regards!
Z

Sledgehammer

Hi, Booble!

Have you ever seen an ENT about this issue?

I ask because it may be worthwhile for them to take a look up there and see what's going on.

I don't remember the exact medical term, but I've had my nose "scoped" twice.

Full disclosure: getting scoped up the nose with a tiny camera is *quite" unpleasant, but it is fairly quick and at fancier offices you can watch on a tv screen.

If they found something treatable, that might improve just this one area of your illness. I'm all about finding small solutions, while we await THE solution for ME/CFS.

My best regards!
Z

That'll be the Endoscope. ENT will only cut out the infection if any. What they won't do is give to any diagnosis on the cause of the problem.