• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My nervous system is very sensitive! B12 is extremely stimulating to me. What to do?

I have a B12 deficiency. I have taken 1000 mcg cyanocobalamin-B12, but it is too stimulating. I cant sleep, it gives me major insomnia. It also gives major anxiety and restlessness to a point where i cannot function, i get severe brain fog and i become very depressed. I also get insane pain in my legs. Shooting jolts and stuff.

Even small dose of 9 mcg is affecting me, but currently I take that to take something now, as well as 400 B9.

Anything i can do to make my nervous system less sensitive?

Even my physical therapist said to stay away from to much external stimulus and hard exercise. It is bad.

Crux

Calcium , along with pancreatic enzymes are needed for B12 absorption.

i get severe brain fog and i become very depressed. I also get insane pain in my legs. Shooting jolts and stuff.

This can happen with many things, calcium deficiency included.

https://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/vitamins/vitamin-B12

"Because the pancreas provides critical enzymes, as well as calcium required for vitamin B12 absorption, pancreatic insufficiency may contribute to vitamin B12 deficiency. "

" Receptors on the surface of the ileum (final part of the small intestine) take up the IF-B12 complex only in the presence of calcium, which is supplied by the pancreas (5). "

Calcium chelate has been very calming to my nervous system.

CSMLSM

"Because the pancreas provides critical enzymes, as well as calcium required for vitamin B12 absorption, pancreatic insufficiency may contribute to vitamin B12 deficiency. "
I did not know this as I did all my research approximately 10+ years ago into B12, interesting that it is required for absorbtion.

Increased intake of calcium reverses vitamin B12 malabsorption induced by metformin - PubMed (nih.gov)
Calcium and B12 absorption
Oral calcium supplementation reversed the metformin-induced serum holoTCII depression. CONCLUSIONS: Patients receiving metformin have diminished B12 absorption and low serum total vitamin B12 and TCII-B12 levels because of a calcium-dependent ileal membrane antagonism, an effect reversed with supplemental calcium.

Crux

I did not know this as I did all my research approximately 10+ years ago into B12, interesting that it is required for absorbtion.

This is recent for me too. I used to get anxiety from taking high dose B12 sublinguals. Many of the neurological symptoms I was having were from low calcium rather than B12, such as numb lips.