• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My experiences with Alpha Lipoic Acid: benefits and side effects

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Old thread but good info. I will be coming back in the future to add my input, when I decide is time to try ALA cutler-style (to make sure about mercury). ALA is in the Leaky Gut protocol of Maes that I am doing (which makes sense looking at studies of ALA effects on intestinal inflammation), but if you are metal toxic as I suspect I am, taking it while curing the gut could be counterproductive.

Calathea

Old thread but it seems to be the right place to ask this. I have just started carnitine fumarate and am looking into ALA. I have no metal fillings and have not eaten fish or seafood since the age of three, nor have I ever lived anywhere with coal as an energy source. Is there any reason to suspect that I would have mercury toxicity?

(By the way, if you reply to this, I'd appreciate it if you could quote this post. I'm not on the forum much these days, and I think it's the only way I'll get notified.)

Last edited:

cman89

Old thread but it seems to be the right place to ask this. I have just started carnitine fumarate and am looking into ALA. I have no metal fillings and have not eaten fish or seafood since the age of three, nor have I ever lived anywhere with coal as an energy source. Is there any reason to suspect that I would have mercury toxicity?

(By the way, if you reply to this, I'd appreciate it if you could quote this post. I'm not on the forum much these days, and I think it's the only way I'll get notified.)
I doubt mercury would be an issue unless you have ingested it through some sort of unknown chemical. I would start at small dosage and see if anything changes.

I am taking ALA according to Cutler's recommendations: 50mg every 3hrs for 3 days a week, initially for mercury chelation, now as a cheap anti-retroviral. I have marked improvement, plus some negatives. Is anyone else on it? I would like to hear your experiences?

I have noticed the following benefits:

Immediate:
  • Improved sleep
  • Dramatic reduction in depression

After 3 months
  • No depression at all
  • Less bloating and reflux - able to reduce Zantac by half, although not every time.
  • Small improvement in energy, maybe 10%, but its consistent and steadily improving
  • Doing more things - bit hard to explain because this is not the same as energy increase - eg couldn't contemplate doing tax, now can do it easily

Negatives
  • On the days I'm taking the ALA I feel sub par.
  • Usually a day after finishing 3-day course, feel like a truck has run over me.
Hi ,

When you say you used it 3 days a week ,does that mean like ,monday,wednesday,friday ?
and what do you mean by "after finishing 3-day course, feel like a truck has run over me" what simptoms did you have ?
And did you take 50 mg every 3 hours for 24 h ?
Did you notice any improvement in anxiety and how was your mood and motivation ?

Last edited:

cman89

Hi ,

When you say you used it 3 days a week ,does that mean like ,monday,wednesday,friday ?
and what do you mean by "after finishing 3-day course, feel like a truck has run over me" what simptoms did you have ?
Did you notice any improvement in anxiety and how was your mood and motivation ?
Cutlers protocol involves using ALA two -four days "on" then taking an equal time off to let the body recharge.

cman89

Hi ,

And yes, ideally, you want to go 24 hours, so you wake up to dose. It keeps blood levels steady.

Hi everyone, you may have seen that osr is now called emeramid. And is now forbidden by the FDA, because it is not a supplement but a chemical drug which need studies before to be legally sold on the market. Very few studies have been done on humans. Only one official study which is the phase I, tells that the drug is safe for humans, but it is not sufficient to be sure according the specialits, and some other studies must to be done to say that this product is finally safe and ready to be sold for human use.

According Boyd Haley, the discoverer of this molecule, Emeramid is the safer and best efficient product to chelate mercury and other heavy metals from the brain.

In the first page of this thread, you may see something very interesting mates. A very good member of this forum who is called @aquariusgirl have tried this drug when it was a supplement. Currently, very little studies have been done on this product. But here on this forum we have the luck that this member tried it several times.

Please aquariusgirl tell us your experience with emeramid, it is an honor to have you on this forum. Currently it is impossible to buy a clean version of this product. Only Boyd Haley and his company Emeramed knows how to purify it, to offer the pharmaceutical grade. When Osr was sold in 2010, it was sold by Boyd Haley. As he his the discoverer of this molecule and the fist to produce it and to do studies about it.

Other persons tried osr/Emeramid on this forum but all of them are invisible on this forum since 2014. Only aquariusgirl is still active to tell us a bit more about Emeramid.

Last edited:
I doubt mercury would be an issue unless you have ingested it through some sort of unknown chemical. I would start at small dosage and see if anything changes.
I had mercury poisoning and emeramide helped me greatly, Body Haley design the molecule, and you can get it on medkoo, it is expensive. I found in my case, it also lowered my ALT from 120 to 40 in a week yet I do not have any viral hepatitis. I also found if I took high dosages such as 500mg/day, my glutathione went below the lower limit of the reference range. I can take 100mg safely, but talking with other mercury poisoned people, they recommend starting really low, 1mg and working your way up to 100mg of whatever your comfortable with in 5mg increments, if you wanted to do it at all.

Sophiedw

ALA gives me bad liver /gall bladder pain. Any ideas for anyone what it could be interacting with. In my case is often a supplement nutrient interaction rather than immune... so something I’m low in in the liver that ALA depletes. Any ideas always gratefully received by those who know more than I