• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My 2 day CPET tests results from 2010 Ithaca College

*GG*

Been meaning to post this for some time. Just blanked out my name and sensitive info, if I missed something, please let me know.

You should be able to download and print if you want an idea of what results might look like. Page 4 is just references, not much on the page, so if looking to save paper, you can skip this page.

I would be willing to do this test again, wonder what differences would be found, if any? Wonder what the response of my cytokines might look like? Wonder if if my continued exercise has changed my Genetic expression? The Epigenitcs stuff is interesting.

I have only not exercised 1 year when I had a horrible crash in late 2009. Figured my days of working might be numbered, and lost my job in 2013, so have not worked in over 3 years now. I changed alot of things in 2009/10. Was tired of chaning few/one thing only, and not getting any better. My illness started with Mono at age 33, my body nevere bounced back completely.

Found a good sleep med in 2009, trazadone quit working for me, tried Doxepin (did not work), then tried Remeron and had "crazy" vivid dreams. I don't think I had dreamt in years! It was intense to start dreaming again, and waking up feeling a little better, not super lousy like before.

Quit drinking alcohol, caffeine, started mediation and gentle yoga around this time as well. I was as gentle on my body as I could be. Still had a job where I had to work 30 hours a week though. Drive time was 1 hour at least, each way.

I seem to have leveled off, and yes, exercising exacerbates my symptoms. No more runners high from bicycling like my pre-illness state. Wonder when/if the exercise might finally do me into a worse state of health? I have been bicycling since a teen (so 30+ years), that is how I got around as a kid, and took it up later for exercise and lose weight.

GG

Attachments

• Results for CPET 2 days August 2010  Ithaca College 1  of  5.jpg
    Results for CPET 2 days August 2010 Ithaca College 1 of 5.jpg
    477.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Results for CPET 2 days August 2010  Ithaca College 3  of  5.jpg
    Results for CPET 2 days August 2010 Ithaca College 3 of 5.jpg
    449.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Results for CPET 2 days August 2010  Ithaca College 4  of  5.jpg
    Results for CPET 2 days August 2010 Ithaca College 4 of 5.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 67
  • Results for CPET 2 days August 2010  Ithaca College 5  of  5.jpg
    Results for CPET 2 days August 2010 Ithaca College 5 of 5.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 70

Sea

Thanks for sharing those results. It's good to see how the report is written.

I have all the raw data for my CPET but since my testing was done by someone unfamiliar with the findings in ME/CFS my report just said that my huge 2nd day drop was consistent with someone who wasn't used to exercise.

I sometimes wonder whether I could send my results to one of the places who are familiar with the protocol and pay them just to write a report for me rather than having to redo testing. It resulted in a significant crash that I wouldn't really want to repeat.

*GG*

Thanks for sharing those results. It's good to see how the report is written.

I sometimes wonder whether I could send my results to one of the places who are familiar with the protocol and pay them just to write a report for me rather than having to redo testing. It resulted in a significant crash that I wouldn't really want to repeat.

I would think it is worth pursuing, if it will help you out. @Sea

Dr Betsy Keller email should be easy to find, if not, I think I have it in my address book. Workwell Foundation in CA should be easy to contact as well. Think this kind of testing is also done in Florida, not sure of the names for that facility, but think it is associated with Dr. Nancy Klimas?

GG

@*GG* - Maybe I'm missing it. I only see one VO2max result, which seems to be for Day 2. Did you have the same result on both days?

Sea

@*GG* - Maybe I'm missing it. I only see one VO2max result, which seems to be for Day 2. Did you have the same result on both days?
I think I read that day one was a steady state exercise test (25w for the entire time) so VO2 max would only have been on day 2.

I guessed that day 1 was a PEM provocative test and day 2 captured the results. It would still give you the information you need about your exercise capacity, except that you don't get to see the comparison between day 1 and day 2.

So it looks like Day 1 was just exercise with no testing, and the only VO2max is from Day 2. So there's no way to know if there was a drop from Day 1, which would have been interesting info to have.
Trying to update this, did my Editing options go away?
Editing posts is automatically closed after a week or two, I think.

*GG*

So it looks like Day 1 was just exercise with no testing, and the only VO2max is from Day 2. So there's no way to know if there was a drop from Day 1, which would have been interesting info to have.

Editing posts is automatically closed after a week or two, I think.

Not sure about that, rather certain they did the same thing on day 1 compared to day 2, I guess they just don't give you all the info. I have trouble making heads and tails of this testing anyways.

GG