• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

multiple myeloma/ high ige immunoglobulins??

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Anyone know much about this disorder. It seems to have alot of symptoms similar to cfs/me and can also be caused by a viral infection. All the common infections in cfs can also play apart in myeloma too. Also read where cmv reactivation is higher in people with multiple myeloma as well. I havent been diagnosed with this but found this when googling high ige immunoglobulins which i have just tested high to. Also say that ige is high in asthmatics and people with severe allergies, which i dont have. My understanding is that its a type of cancer of the white blood cells(i think my father had this), b cells were mentioned as well as t-cells. Or is this maybe a progression of cfs/me as we are prone to higher rates of cancer etc. ESR rates and high blood calcium levels are apart of the testing to diagnose this, so far these are good. Maybe just another immune abnormality. my IGA were just on the high levels as well. Another lymphocyte sub set test showed my cd8 t-cells and cd3 are high again. Maybe these dam viruses are reactivating again, maybe also these chronic sinus issues are supressing my immune system enough to allow them to reactivate again, who knows. Theres definately abnormalities coming out just nothing specific to anything yet.

cheers!!!

heapsreal

Imagine experiencing back pain so severe that it keeps you in bed for weeks at a time. Imagine that someone has told you that you can no longer pick up your child or tightly embrace loved ones out of fear of breaking a bone. Imagine knowing that your symptoms could worsen to the point where you might become completely debilitated and that modern medicine, even with its breakthroughs, has no answers. Imagine that you have just been diagnosed with multiple myeloma.

Multiple myeloma is a cancer of the bone marrow caused by the uncontrolled growth of plasma cells. Manufactured in the bone marrow, plasma cells are a critical part of the bodys immune system. In adults, the most active bone marrow is concentrated in the pelvis, spine, and skull, as well as in the long bones of the arms and legs. Normally, plasma cells make up less than 5 percent of the cells in the bone marrow, but individuals with myeloma have a significantly higher concentration of plasma cells in their bone marrow greater than 10 percent and sometimes more than 90 percent. The danger associated with this high number of plasma cells stems from the fact that they are malignant and can invade and destroy the surrounding bone and displace the normal blood-producing cells in the marrow. The increased malignant plasma cells can actually dissolve bone, weakening areas of the skeleton and causing a severe osteoporosis-like appearance to the bones. The displacement of normal marrow causes anemia and reduced levels of white blood cells and platelets.

Causes

No single factor has been consistently associated with multiple myeloma. Overall it appears that certain occupations, as well as exposure to certain chemicals or radiation, can sometimes cause the disease in predisposed individuals. The diversity of possible exposures and genetic susceptibility factors make proof difficult. Recently, researchers have proposed infection, particularly viral infection, as a causal or trigger factor. Several studies have linked multiple myeloma to HIV, hepatitis, herpes virus infections (especially herpes virus 8), Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), as well as new stealth adapted viruses such as mutated cytomegalovirus (CMV). The significance of these viruses with regard to multiple myeloma remains to be fully explored.

Signs and Symptoms

Many multiple myeloma patients first visit their physicians with a complaint of pain along the lower back and ribs. Onset of sudden pain may be a sign of a fracture or collapse of a vertebral body caused by the excessive growth of malignant plasma cells and their destructive nature. In about two-thirds of patients, anemia (lowered red blood cell count) is present at diagnosis. Approximately 30 percent of multiple myeloma patients may first begin to experience excessive tiredness, thirst and exhaustion caused by hypercalcemia a condition in which high amounts of calcium are released as bone is dissolved, resulting in high levels of calcium in the bloodstream. Still others are likely to experience bruising, nose bleeds, hazy vision, headaches, gastrointestinal bleeding, sleepiness and a variety of neurological symptoms caused by reduced blood and oxygen supply to the nerve tissue.

Patients with multiple myeloma often suffer complications such as pneumococcal pneumonia and deterioration of kidney function. The most serious complication is bone destruction, experienced by 80 percent of patients with multiple myeloma. Effects associated with the loss of bone density include brittle bones that can fracture easily and a severe loss of height. Without prompt and proactive management of the disease, the bone destruction becomes so severe that it leads to immobility

http://myeloma.org/ArticlePage.action?articleId=1560

taniaaust1

Hi heaps. multiple myeloma is an illness which has had my attention for a while due to one of my test results (which my terrible doctors ignored as normal and have never retested).

My anion gap is at 8 (a normal result is 0-18). There arent many illnesses which give a low anion gap but multiple myeloma does.

ESR rates and high blood calcium levels are apart of the testing to diagnose this,

My ESR tends to be on the high side. It as at 15 (normal is 1-15), so mine is sitting at that border.

I also have borderline anemia (no iron stores)

I'm doing a list right now of things I'd like the professsor to look into (got to be careful not to overwhelm the professor as I need her to focus on my severe orthostatic BP issues which I think may be damaging my heart). I'll think I'll bring thou my anion gap abnormality up with her too as that should be ruled out and should of been ages ago.

heapsreal

Hi Tania,

Interesting, my ESR was well within normal limits. My Doc said ige immunoglobulins werent very high and may be indicating an allergy of some sort or infection like my sinusitis and my iga is also high which could be something to do with my sinuses and constant red eyes??? He did say that asthmatics and people with severe eczema can have ige reading in the thousands, the lab limit was 100. I havent really had any success with antihistamines other then helping me sleep.

WHat i also found interesting was that i questioned my doc on my slightly high cholesterol and uric acid levels. He said although it would be good to get cholesterol lower he said that it was fine and plugged a few of my other numbers into a program to show my risk of heart disease/attack and my risk was in the lower 1/3, so he said not to worry too much about it and said that it could possibly mean that my cholesterol being high as well as uric acid which is just out of range, indicates oxidative stress and inflammation going on, so maybe its another indication of inflammation and where im showing inflammation. ESR indicates inflammation but is normal with me? I use non flushing niacin for cholesterol and my doc said he hasnt found it very useful, so i have stopped taking it for now and see what my next test shows?

Yes my calcium levels were well within range to, so i can rule out multiple myeloma but i have a baseline set of tests to keep an eye on. I think my father may have had multiple myeloma as he mentioned having high white blood cells as well as haemochromotosis (i test neg for).

When u start looking into chronic infections, autoimmune disorders and cancers/lymphomas, there are alot of common factors??

cheers!!!

heapsreal

Hi heaps. multiple myeloma is an illness which has had my attention for a while due to one of my test results (which my terrible doctors ignored as normal and have never retested).

My anion gap is at 8 (a normal result is 0-18). There arent many illnesses which give a low anion gap but multiple myeloma does.

My ESR tends to be on the high side. It as at 15 (normal is 1-15), so mine is sitting at that border.

I also have borderline anemia (no iron stores)

I'm doing a list right now of things I'd like the professsor to look into (got to be careful not to overwhelm the professor as I need her to focus on my severe orthostatic BP issues which I think may be damaging my heart). I'll think I'll bring thou my anion gap abnormality up with her too as that should be ruled out and should of been ages ago.

Yes you have to train your doctors slowly or they freak out and start offering u ad's.

rlc

Hi Heaps. Heres some information on Multiple myeloma http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001609/

From my understanding of it, the most important test to check for it is the immunofixation test info here http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0004011/

I have to get this test redone every three months, because I have a small abnormality in the protein, which doesnt mean I have the MM, but they want to keep an eye on the levels just in case they start to go up.

If you think your dad had it, then certainly get it checked out properly just in case.

All the best

heapsreal

Hi Heaps. Heres some information on Multiple myeloma http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001609/

From my understanding of it, the most important test to check for it is the immunofixation test info here http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0004011/

I have to get this test redone every three months, because I have a small abnormality in the protein, which doesnt mean I have the MM, but they want to keep an eye on the levels just in case they start to go up.

If you think your dad had it, then certainly get it checked out properly just in case.

All the best

Thanks for that, its now on my to do list for my doc. Its funny i have no bucket list just a to do list for my doc???

cheers!!!

john66

Hi Heaps, I just went through Majid Ali's book "the Canary and Chroin
c Fatigue". He lists IgE as the best diagnostic indicator for CFS. It caught my eye, as I have very high levels.

I also tried the drugs for allergies to no avail. Crazy nosebleeds from the sprays. I do take lots of quercetin for what I call systemic inflammation and its cardio protective role.

On the new things to try list-I just got cycloferron and will try nimodipine-to increase circulation to the brain.

heapsreal

Hi Heaps, I just went through Majid Ali's book "the Canary and Chroin
c Fatigue". He lists IgE as the best diagnostic indicator for CFS. It caught my eye, as I have very high levels.

I also tried the drugs for allergies to no avail. Crazy nosebleeds from the sprays. I do take lots of quercetin for what I call systemic inflammation and its cardio protective role.

On the new things to try list-I just got cycloferron and will try nimodipine-to increase circulation to the brain.

Good luck with your experiments/treatments, keep us informed on how u go. My doc said although my ige was out of range it wasnt that high compared to alot of other conditions, but something to keep an eye on i guess. I think with our whacky immune systems many immunological problems can occur i guess, many are indications that things are going on but maybe not directly causing our cfs but then again for some it may, it sounds like your ige levels are alot higher then my levels. I think i got freaked out when i saw all the things that ige levels could indicate.

good luck,
cheers!!!