• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mucuna Pruriens Crash

I am pretty sure that taking mucuna pruriens caused me to crash. I took it in a pre-workout that had these other stimulants in it as well. I felt very wired and motivated but have had persistent brain fog/de-realization for the last couple weeks.

I am afraid the L-Dopa has caused some brain damage to either dopamine or serotonin networks. Does anyone have experience with this or know what is going on?

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I know that using Dopa Mucuna gives me a swollen brain/brain stem feeling for about 3 days after I take it. I've pretty much stopped taking it because of that. However, the last time I did, I took some boswelia and that seemed to take the swollen feeling down somewhat.

One of the other members said it is suppose to be neuroprotective on his website here: https://cfsremission.com/treatment/...n-fog/boswellia-neuroprotective-and-anti-ebv/

He also said it is a "poor man's heparin." So I would keep that in mind too especially if you are already on things that thin the blood.

I’m currently taking L-Dopa + EGCG. Started a month ago. I had to move into a new flat, travel to get an operation and work a few days. This would not have been possible without it. It helps my dystonia a lot and makes me able to do some of my chores. Before that my pain, depression and anhedonia was much worse and It was much harder to move and initiate movements. Everything felt like walking through water or treacle. Even lifting my arm felt like a weeks worth of energy. I was so desperately exhausted the craving for lying down and sleeping wouldn’t even go away when I did exactly that.
So, I’m very thankful for L-Dopa. The last week my health issues worsened but I‘m pretty sure that’s for another cause.

I know that using Dopa Mucuna gives me a swollen brain/brain stem feeling for about 3 days after I take it. I've pretty much stopped taking it because of that. However, the last time I did, I took some boswelia and that seemed to take the swollen feeling down somewhat.

One of the other members said it is suppose to be neuroprotective on his website here: https://cfsremission.com/treatment/...n-fog/boswellia-neuroprotective-and-anti-ebv/

He also said it is a "poor man's heparin." So I would keep that in mind too especially if you are already on things that thin the blood.
Will get some Boswellia, thanks for the input.

I did read L-Dopa can be neurotoxic on 5-hT1(A) receptors. Is there any way to heal serotonin receptors in the brain? Like lions main or rhodiola or some adaptogen? I was told uridine actually quickens turnover of dopamine receptors and can replace damaged ones so perhaps will try that as well, but I'm now wondering if there is something similar for serotonin receptors?

xebex

Sorry to hijack the post but @margaretee can you describe your dystonia? I’m positive I have dystonia in my back muscles but they spasm equally and don’t cause twisting or distortion. Ritalin helps considerably which makes me consider some kind of dopamine disorder but I Can only take it 1x a month or it just causes rebound effects. I really think L dopa could help if it allowed me to take it daily.

Sorry to hijack the post but @margaretee can you describe your dystonia? I’m positive I have dystonia in my back muscles but they spasm equally and don’t cause twisting or distortion. Ritalin helps considerably which makes me consider some kind of dopamine disorder but I Can only take it 1x a month or it just causes rebound effects. I really think L dopa could help if it allowed me to take it daily.

what I experience(d) is a constant painful hypertonus. No spasms or ticks, just non-stop tearing. It is nearly everywhere and makes it hard to breath or to keep the head straight. It makes the neck cramp backwards and the belly and the front of the leg cramp so hard it’s painful to stay upright. When it got really bad I used to go go into an embryo position, but that makes it worse. Stretching hurts but helps. I think many people actually experience dystonia symptoms which they mistake for fibromyalgia. (Fibromyalgia could have so many faces and causes as it’s diagnosed in an exclusive manner.)

Do you always have that?

Changing my diet (avoiding Antinutrients), H2 antihistamines (histamines lower dopamine activity) and l-dopa + egcg really help enormously. Before that I was in such agony it made any clear though impossible and I just wanted to jump out of the window. All day any day. Now I can actually enjoy a moment and feel quite okay, sometimes even good.

xebex

what I experience(d) is a constant painful hypertonus. No spasms or ticks, just non-stop tearing. It is nearly everywhere and makes it hard to breath or to keep the head straight. It makes the neck cramp backwards and the belly and the front of the leg cramp so hard it’s painful to stay upright. When it got really bad I used to go go into an embryo position, but that makes it worse. Stretching hurts but helps. I think many people actually experience dystonia symptoms which they mistake for fibromyalgia. (Fibromyalgia could have so many faces and causes as it’s diagnosed in an exclusive manner.)

Do you always have that?

Changing my diet (avoiding Antinutrients), H2 antihistamines (histamines lower dopamine activity) and l-dopa + egcg really help enormously. Before that I was in such agony it made any clear though impossible and I just wanted to jump out of the window. All day any day. Now I can actually enjoy a moment and feel quite okay, sometimes even good.
Thanks for the description, I always have it but it sounds much milder than yours although it does directly cause me to crash, although my thoracic back muscles are constantly in spasm they are not spastic or rigid and they seem to cause me to slouch rather than arch back, I also have restless legs and my right foot spasms too, but magnesium helps that, magnesium doesn’t help my back spasming though. Interesting what you say about antihistamines though, as I have noticed they are helpful but only sometimes.

Last edited:

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Is there any way to heal serotonin receptors in the brain? Like lions main or rhodiola or some adaptogen? I was told uridine actually quickens turnover of dopamine receptors and can replace damaged ones so perhaps will try that as well, but I'm now wondering if there is something similar for serotonin receptors?

I'm not sure what to tell you on this. Maybe someone else will give an answer. I had not heard that about uridine though. Something to investigate.

I found this last night on DLPA and the conversion of dopamine when I was looking for pain relief for my Mom.

It's a short read and because it is promoting some products I just went past those parts but it does quote some studies as well.

Very interesting on B6 being needed to convert l-dopa to dopamine. https://sanescohealth.com/blog/dl-phenylalanine-neurotransmitter-precursor/
That is interesting. I always thought b6 was also required to remove dopamine from the brain but maybe that was mistaken. My b6 levels are screwed up as well so I guess it makes a lot of sense that taking L-Dopa just threw a wrench into everything.