• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mucormycosis: The 'black fungus' maiming Covid patients in India

antares4141

I think I saw the pictures, thought it was someone trolling though and trying to make us believe in fake news,
so there really is a fungus affecting them ?

I think the article said that young people were being affected. That it was exasperated by anti-inflamatorys they use to reduce the immune system attacking the lungs after the virus is mostly cleared. Trade off is weakening the immune response with steroids opens you up to other types of infections. IE this fungus.

I often wonder whether I have chronic sinus infection because of the burning in that area. I refer to it as "brain burn" but it's around the forehead and eyes. Back in 1998 I did have a mri which showed a cyst. They said that was nothing. I would like to see some serious investigation into long covid patients and CFS patients. Specifically to see if there is any kind of chronic fungal infection. I suspect dr's would balk at this cause usually when you have a fungal infection it's very obvious and life threatening.

But it seems to me it could explain a lot of the symptoms that are common with us.

Rufous McKinney

Specifically to see if there is any kind of chronic fungal infection. I suspect dr's would balk at this cause usually when you have a fungal infection it's very obvious and life threatening.

But it seems to me it could explain a lot of the symptoms that are common with us.

well check out these very familiar sounding symptoms: for Valley Fever.....

Symptoms of Valley fever include:
  • Fatigue (tiredness)
  • Cough
  • Fever
  • Shortness of breath
  • Headache
  • Night sweats
  • Muscle aches or joint pain
  • Rash on upper body or legs

this critter exists in soils in California, I was near a very famous outbreak affecting an archeological dig.

the rash is fairly distinctive, but does not always happen

antares4141

well check out these very familiar sounding symptoms: for Valley Fever.....

Symptoms of Valley fever include:
  • Fatigue (tiredness)
  • Cough
  • Fever
  • Shortness of breath
  • Headache
  • Night sweats
  • Muscle aches or joint pain
  • Rash on upper body or legs

this critter exists in soils in California, I was near a very famous outbreak affecting an archeological dig.

the rash is fairly distinctive, but does not always happen
It is interesting how it's not everywhere you dig. For instance out here in S. Central NM there is plenty of wind blown dust and it's still rare. But not for archeologist on a dig! I read an article a year or two ago about that. There is a pretty strong correlation.

antares4141

There has been a bit in the UK media about all this @antares4141 and it sounds like it's due to the over use of steroids.

Sorta, first it's the over activation of your immune system from the virus, then under activation or suppression by the use of the steroids, compounded because all the antibodies are somewhere else (in your lungs for instance) and not able to show up in time to ward away mold in the sinuses.

You see something similar with aids, chemo therapy, and transplant patients that are all susceptible to Aspergillosis. Chemo cause their immune system is weakened by the poisons they are fed, aides because the virus targets the immune system, and transplant patients cause the drugs they take to prevent their body from rejecting their transplant also weaken the bodies response to bacteria, viruses, and fungi.

I can't help but wondering if there isn't some other drug similar to Rituximab that might be able to relieve symptoms of CFS. And when you consider the symptoms it causes why the trials with Rituximab failed to show any efficacy.

lenora

I think the article said that young people were being affected. That it was exasperated by anti-inflamatorys they use to reduce the immune system attacking the lungs after the virus is mostly cleared. Trade off is weakening the immune response with steroids opens you up to other types of infections. IE this fungus.

I often wonder whether I have chronic sinus infection because of the burning in that area. I refer to it as "brain burn" but it's around the forehead and eyes. Back in 1998 I did have a mri which showed a cyst. They said that was nothing. I would like to see some serious investigation into long covid patients and CFS patients. Specifically to see if there is any kind of chronic fungal infection. I suspect dr's would balk at this cause usually when you have a fungal infection it's very obvious and life threatening.

I hope you've had repeat MRI's since the cyst was discovered. Do you have the radiology report...a copy of the CD, and have you actually had someone else read the MRI? The more doctors, the better (to read it that is).

Cysts can form inside my spinal cord, but I have MRI's regularly to make certain they aren't filling up again, or at least to a dangerous level.

Yes, from personal experience I can assure you that steroids are not without their complications. There are plenty of times when they have to be used, though....and I'm sure most of the lung inflammation was probably one of the times. If not, then the doctors are now aware of this terrible complication and will be more careful of its use in the future.

India was in a terrible state, and who can blame the physicians for what occurred. I've had steroids used for good purposes, there was no other choice, but can't understand why anyone would use them to muscle up.

I have chronic sinus problems (I'm fairly sure) that affect my forehead and l. eye. Have you tried using acupressure...sure you can find it on youtube.com. Just be careful that you don't press too hard or use it too often, especially in the beginning.

On the other hand, my neurologist thinks I could be having migraines....but it feels more like sinus. He understands. There is medication available, I have samples, but haven't tried them yet. Stay healthy. Lenora.

lenora

Valley fever is a bit similar to the fungus described above- it has killed people at times in the past.

https://www.cdc.gov/fungal/diseases/coccidioidomycosis/index.html

Thats certainly concerning and thanks for posting.

@Rufous....apart from the rash (which is certainly distinctive) the symptoms could be that of almost any infection. I think I'll just stay home! Seriously, thanks for the pics, and to everyone else who offered information. Yours, Lenora.

antares4141

I hope you've had repeat MRI's since the cyst was discovered. Do you have the radiology report...a copy of the CD, and have you actually had someone else read the MRI? The more doctors, the better (to read it that is).

Cysts can form inside my spinal cord, but I have MRI's regularly to make certain they aren't filling up again, or at least to a dangerous level.

Yes, from personal experience I can assure you that steroids are not without their complications. There are plenty of times when they have to be used, though....and I'm sure most of the lung inflammation was probably one of the times. If not, then the doctors are now aware of this terrible complication and will be more careful of its use in the future.

India was in a terrible state, and who can blame the physicians for what occurred. I've had steroids used for good purposes, there was no other choice, but can't understand why anyone would use them to muscle up.

I have chronic sinus problems (I'm fairly sure) that affect my forehead and l. eye. Have you tried using acupressure...sure you can find it on youtube.com. Just be careful that you don't press too hard or use it too often, especially in the beginning.

On the other hand, my neurologist thinks I could be having migraines....but it feels more like sinus. He understands. There is medication available, I have samples, but haven't tried them yet. Stay healthy. Lenora.

Only had the one MRI back in 1998 when I had ins. Went from that time to late 2013 before I got another plan with oboma care. But have not gotten an mri since.

It is really frustrating to me that authorities think it is cheaper to gaslight patients and make them be their own detective and spend ten's of thousands of dollars through the process of elimination trying to figure out what drives CFS.

When studies could be done on a group of individuals one time, that data could be collected and then patients would at least if nothing else know what treatments don't work, and what conditions they are unlikely to have.

Although if your intent is to let the patient dry up and blow away then you could probably hasten that process by draining them financially.

Last edited: