• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MSM anyone? Concerned about sulfur but it supposed to help with pain

wciarci

Wenderella
Just wondering if anyone has tried this? It is supposed to help with pain. It is a natural sulfur that we don't get much of anymore.

Wendy

caledonia

I was taking it for a couple years because it was prescribed by my naturopath. I had no trouble tolerating it. On the other hand, it didn't seem to do anything for me one way or the other. But pain is not really an issue for me either.

I have heard some people say it did help them with pain.

Like with any new med or supp, just start with the teeniest amount to test for tolerance, then gradually increase to a "normal" dose if tolerated. Or as my good doc says - "start low and go slow".

wciarci

Wenderella
Thanks caledonia, I was wondering if this would help with methylation or mitochondria or if it would hurt? No harm trying a small dose I guess.

Wendy

helsbells

Just a word of caution Wendy - i am trying this for IC, my wellish partner tolerates this great but me, who admittedly is very sensitive finds it plays havoc with my menstrual cycle.

Tammie

definitely helped me with pain, but I also had BIG problems with tolerating it.....so much so that it was really not worth it (I can function with pain, but I cannot function with severe dizziness, practically paralyzing exhaustion and weakness, severe brain fog, etc, etc, etc)

caledonia

I don't think it would help methylation or mitochondria. I have a partial methylation block, as shown by testing, but you can have that and then either have a block for sulfur or not.

I would guess that I don't have a sulfur block and those that can't tolerate it do.

So it's a case of trying a little bit and seeing what happens, or you may also be able to use muscle testing to see if you should take it or not.

I've been having some pretty good success with muscle testing supplements and doses lately.

wciarci

Wenderella
Thanks for the replies, I am worried about the sulfur. I plan on starting the yasko simplified protocol and should start that first and have the tests done. A well meaning friend suggested msm. I am too tired to even think right now.

Wendy