• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Most affected organ system in ME/CFS

Alesh

I would like to ask you which organ system is 'subjectivelly' affected the most in your illness:

1. CIRCULATORY SYSTEM: pumping and channeling blood to and from the body and lungs with heart, blood and blood vessels.

2. DIGESTIVE SYSTEM: digestion and processing food with salivary glands, esophagus, stomach, liver, gallbladder, pancreas, intestines, rectum and anus.

3. ENDOCRINE SYSTEM: communication within the body using hormones made by endocrine glands such as the hypothalamus, pituitary or pituitary gland, pineal body or pineal gland, thyroid, parathyroids and adrenals, i.e., adrenal glands.

4. INTEGUMENTARY SYSTEM: skin, hair, fat, and nails.

5. LYMPHATIC SYSTEM: structures involved in the transfer of lymph between tissues and the blood stream, the lymph and the nodes and vessels that transport it including the

IMMUNE SYSTEM: defending against disease-causing agents with leukocytes, tonsils, adenoids, thymus and spleen.

6. MUSCULAR SYSTEM: movement with muscles.

7. NERVOUS SYSTEM: collecting, transferring and processing information with brain, spinal cord, peripheral nerves and nerves.

8. REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEM: the sex organs, such as ovaries, fallopian tubes, uterus, vagina, mammary glands, testes, vas deferens, seminal vesicles, prostate and penis.

9. RESPIRATORY SYSTEM: the organs used for breathing, the pharynx, larynx, trachea, bronchi, lungs and diaphragm.

10. SKELETAL SYSTEM: structural support and protection with bones, cartilage, ligaments and tendons.

11. URINARY SYSTEM: kidneys, ureters, bladder and urethra involved in fluid balance, electrolyte balance and excretion of urine.

12. ENDOCANNABINOID SYSTEM: neuromodulatory lipids and receptors involved in a variety of physiological processes including appetite, pain-sensation, mood, motor learning, synaptic plasticity, and memory.

For me it is (subjectively) definitely the nervous system: Since the sudden flu or mono-like onset twelve years ago I have felt that it is mainly the brain that is affected: Impaired balance and motoric coordination, dizziness, dementia-like cognitive deficit: substantial decline in IQ score, diminished attention span, poor memory, neurological physical exhaustion, feelings of derealization, visual disturbances, constant tinnitus, constant localized headaches.

Then, to a much lesser degree, it is (again subjectively) the immune system: I am catching an abnormaly high number of infections. In the past it was about fifteen viroses or 'colds' during one winter etc.

Otherwise all other organ systems seem to be completely 'healthy'.

Perhaps I am an exception but I don't read any articles about ME/CFS that deal with abnormalities in muscles, hearts, lungs, arthralgias, myalgias, pain thresholds etc.

Is there anyone else here, who feels that the brain is the primary and most affected organ in his or her ME/CFS?

Victoria

12. ENDOCANNABINOID SYSTEM: neuromodulatory lipids and receptors involved in a variety of physiological processes including appetite, pain-sensation, mood, motor learning, synaptic plasticity, and memory.

For me it is (subjectively) definitely the nervous system: Since the sudden flu or mono-like onset twelve years ago I have felt that it is mainly the brain that is affected: Impaired balance and motoric coordination, dizziness, dementia-like cognitive deficit: substantial decline in IQ score, diminished attention span, poor memory, neurological physical exhaustion, feelings of derealization, visual disturbances, constant tinnitus, constant localized headaches.

Then, to a much lesser degree, it is (again subjectively) the immune system: I am catching an abnormaly high number of infections. In the past it was about fifteen viroses or 'colds' during one winter etc.

I'm with you, Alesh (but no 12. ENDOCANNABINOID SYSTEM comes a close second - by the way, I've never heard of that word before).

Interestingly, I have had almost no viruses in about 3-4 years, but had one (?) not so long ago (I think) - only coughed most of the night for 5 days, rarely coughed during the day, and it disappeared as mysteriously as it appeared. Still thinking it might have been allergy related.

I have ongoing slight sore throats, but put most of these down to allergies.

Whenever I get a raised temperature (regularly), feeling flushed or ill, slight sore throat or what I think MIGHT be some virus, my immune system seems to fight if off very quickly.

Prior to mid 2006, I would get every cold, cough, flu, sore throat, tummy bug, as soon as they started in the community - I worked for a school, so that was very, very often. Winter 2009, everyone in my office at that time, got every bug or virus several times over, and I didn't get a single bug all winter. I put it down to increased vitamin C consumption & keeping to myself in my office, not mixing or lunching with other colleagues.

Now, I spend most of my time on my own or in the open air, I seem to miss these community bugs entirely (or have I still got a good immune system, I wonder?).

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
nervous system and immune system. If there was such a system as just sleep, it would be up there, but we will just put it under nervous system. My memory recall, especially names, its a shocker. Luckily in australia we can get by, by calling everyone mate. Hi mate how ya goin. If i cant remeber my wifes name, its hi darl, lol. my days will be numbered if that happens. i do have a few immune abnormalities in my blood tests but i dont tend to get colds etc that much but if i do they knock me over and in bed for a week.

cheers!!!

alex3619

Hi I'm going to go off the grid and say 1. hormones (para and autocrine, not just endocrine, that coordinate all tissue functions) and 2. Metabolic (generalized energy problems) - and this effects just about all systems. Bye, Alex

anne_likes_red

Immune, endocrine and nervous for the first 20 (gah!!) years but more recently circulatory issues have become as much of an issue.

Francelle

1). Nervous System – peripheral neuropathy, fasciculations, autonomic involvement, cognitive impairment etc.

2). Digestive system – severe gastroparesis and gut dysmotility

3a). Muscular system – stiffness, myalgias, etc
3b). Skeletal system – loose ligaments, hypermobility, arthralgias etc