• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mortality in a cohort of Danish patients with fibromyalgia - increased suicide, liver

Min

"The causes of markedly increased rate of suicide in female FM are at present unknown, but may be related to increased rates of lifetime depression, anxiety, and psychiatric disorders."

- they don't consider that it might be because people are having to live with a devastating, excruciatingly painful and frightening illness, the contempt of the medical profession paid to help us and no treatment whatsoever but psychobabble?

Esther12

Modern psychiatry always seems to presume that suicide is the result of mentle illness.

One of the things I dislike about it is the way in which it can pathologise rational behaviour.

Good news about the low death rate with FM, bad news about the suicide rate though. I'm grateful that I don't have to deal with any serious pain with CFS - just aches and annoyances.

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
Also, because the medical profession thinks FMS is no big deal and/or it is psychological and write articles about FMS easily accessible on the internet, some friends and family members tend to treat you like your just depressed or lazy and you have no right to talk about such nothingness.

My sister-in-law also has FMS. When she told her son about it he said "I read about that on the internet. That's nothing mom. Just eat right and take some vitamins." I told her to keep him away from me because I am going to tell him how I feel about that, and it will not be nice.

ixchelkali

"The causes of markedly increased rate of suicide in female FM are at present unknown, but may be related to increased rates of lifetime depression, anxiety, and psychiatric disorders."

- they don't consider that it might be because people are having to live with a devastating, excruciatingly painful and frightening illness, the contempt of the medical profession paid to help us and no treatment whatsoever but psychobabble?

That's what I thought, too!