• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MORE REVEALED ABOUT THE VAGUS NERVE, AND HOW IT WORKS ......

YippeeKi YOW !!

I know I’ve bumped into a number of members who’ve expressed interest in the vagus nerve and how it functions in communicating with the brain (@ljimbo423, @godlovesatrier, @Howard, for a start), but this is a bad day for me in terms of remembering things, so I’m hoping this catches the eye of the rest of y’all, ad apologies for whibbley brain function right now …

Study Provides Better Insight Into the Vagus Nerve’s Link to the Brain ... 07-28
https://neurosciencenews.com/vagus-nerve-learning-21145/

"Summary: Using stimulation, researchers found a direct connection between the vagus nerve and learning centers of the brain. Vagus nerve stimulation, they discovered, increases learning in a healthy nervous system."

“The vagus nerve is critical because it regulates internal organ functions like digestion, heart rate and respiration. It also helps control reflex actions like coughing, swallowing and sneezing.

The study also revealed a direct connection between the vagus nerve and the cholinergic system that’s essential for learning and attention. Each time the vagus nerve was stimulated, researchers could observe the neurons that control learning activated within the cholinergic system.”

YippeeKi YOW !!

While the above is interesting information, particularly in relation to the function of vagus nerve stimulation in learning and its potential uses in healing various malfunctions or illnesses of the nervous systems, there are a lot more things that the vagus nerve is involved in.

It's the primary component of the parasympathetic nervous system, and oversees a large array of critical functions, including immune response, mood control, heart rate, and as mentioned in the article, digestion. A well-tuned vagus nerve means that our bodies can relax faster after stress, something I think a lot of us on this site would really, really, REALLY be grateful for.

OK, well, I would. Especially after the last few days. Weeks. Whatever ....

SOME INTERESTING MINI-BYTES ABOUT THE VAGUS NERVE:
  • Tight neck muscles in the cervical region are considered to cause stomach problems thru the vagal nerve, and it's possible that soft tissue relaxation in that region could be a promising treatment for stomach symptoms.
  • When the vagus nerves are stimulated, it produces excessive yawning, as well as potential nausea, light headedness, and cold sweats
  • Things that stimulate the vagus nerve are slow, alternate-nostril breathing or just plan slow deep breathing, diaphragmatic breathing, a cold shower or bath or even just splashing cold water on your face, and direct sunlight, which boosts the production of the hormone MSH, which supports the vagus nerve. Also humming, singing, or even gargling are said to do the trick.
  • But be careful, cause overstimulation of the vagus nerve will cause the vody's blood vessels t dilate, particularly in your legs and feet, and the heart will temporarily slow down. As will you, because the brain is then deprived of oxygen and syncope follows almost immediately in what's called a vaso-vagal reaction.
  • There's two vagus nerves, one at each side of your neck, leading from your gut, both intestines, and chest up to your brain, which is the main form of communication between your enteric (gut) nervous system and your brain and CNS. And apparently, they're all real Chatty Cathys, checking in with each other constantly during the course of an average day, exchanging news and gossip, and I suppose granny's recipes for great one-pan dinners and killer chocolate Snickerdoodles ....
  • The thyroid gland's nerve supply is derived partly from the cervical sympathetic trunks, and partly from the vagus nerves, so the vagus is critical to the output of what's referred to as the master hormone, thryroid.

Foods that support the vagus nerve:
  • Anything with tryptophan or choline (to make acetylcholine, a primary neuro transmitter)
  • B-12
  • Magnesium
  • Calcium
  • Sodium
  • Omega 3 Fatty Acids
  • Other stuff I can't recall right now, watch this space ....

Last edited:

Rufous McKinney

Each time the vagus nerve was stimulated,

I find this basic concept perplexing. What is vagus doing when its not stimulated?

so vagus exists either as Stimulated or Not stimulated...

yawning is this fascinating thing that my body no longer does.

(I yawned once yesterday morning...part of the n=2 experiment with Mood Probiotics) (and I can't sleep late any longer...cortisol shift)

ljimbo423

@Rufous McKinney @ljimbo423 @godlovesatrier @Wayne @Howard
Re-tagging for newly posted info, and not just to be annoying ....

Thanks Yippee for all the time and effort you put into these posts! I'm finding them really interesting and can relate to a lot of what you posted. Here are just a couple of the many things that I can relate to......

Tight neck muscles in the cervical region are considered to cause stomach problems thru the vagal nerve, and it's possible that soft tissue relaxation in that region could be a promising treatment for stomach symptoms.

My neck almost always feels like it's clamped in a vise, it's so tight and I've had gut issues for as long as I can remember.

[QUOTE="YippeeKi YOW !!, post: 2407647, member: 36350"]When the vagus nerves are stimulated, it produces excessive yawning, as well as potential nausea, light headedness, and cold sweats[/QUOTE]

I've been doing a somatic tracking meditation for a while now. It often makes me yawn. I didn't know it was because I'm stimulating my vagus nerve.

Rufous McKinney

I've been doing a somatic tracking meditation for a while now. It often makes me yawn. I didn't know it was because I'm stimulating my vagus nerve.

I am really into the information being teased out by Dr. Hauser, Florida neck guy.

I'll be trying to listen to this lecture to see what more can I glean.

I"ve been focused on neck alignment for a while now.

Rufous McKinney

regulating a bunch of functions in your body

yes, its just this concept of "regulating" sounds more complicated than: On or Off. Stimulated or not.

I'll ponder it further, later, part of the Vagus Mysteries.

for Instance, if stimulating leads to nauseated, I'll be busy not stimulating mine.

YippeeKi YOW !!

yes, its just this concept of "regulating" sounds more complicated than: On or Off. Stimulated or not.
Think of it this way .... your heart's job is pumping blood. When your heart is stimulated, say by exercise or a large amount of potassium, it continues to pump blood, but at an accelerated, uncomfortable rate, outside the norms of its ordinary job.

How's that ??? Does it clarify things or just make them more confusing??