• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

more Kawasaki cases as a consequence of the covid

Hip

I heard that this new inflammatory syndrome linked to SARS-CoV-2 is rare, so not something that's going to make a major impact, but certainly something that parents should be aware of.

I am still waiting to hear of any accounts of chronic ME/CFS-like illnesses following SARS-CoV-2 infection.

pattismith

They talked about 25 children affected in France (which is more than they have usually)

I heard that this new inflammatory syndrome linked to SARS-CoV-2 is rare, so not something that's going to make a major impact, but certainly something that parents should be aware of.

I am still waiting to hear of any accounts of chronic ME/CFS-like illnesses following SARS-CoV-2 infection.

It may take some months before we hear about it...

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
In case that it has to do with corona, directly or maybe indirectly, this might be of interest:

Open Access Published: 10 November 2011
Association of Kawasaki disease with tropospheric wind patterns
Xavier Rodó et al, Scientific Reports volume 1, Article number: 152 (2011)

Abstract
The causal agent of Kawasaki disease (KD) remains unknown after more than 40 years of intensive research. The number of cases continues to rise in many parts of the world and KD is the most common cause of acquired heart disease in childhood in developed countries. Analyses of the three major KD epidemics in Japan, major non-epidemic interannual fluctuations of KD cases in Japan and San Diego and the seasonal variation of KD in Japan, Hawaii and San Diego, reveals a consistent pattern wherein KD cases are often linked to large-scale wind currents originating in central Asia and traversing the north Pacific. Results suggest that the environmental trigger for KD could be wind-borne. Efforts to isolate the causative agent of KD should focus on the microbiology of aerosols.

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
I don´t know if the following isn´t too speculative, but it might match up with a NO2 -> lL-6 -> covid-19 guess, in an complex manner. The industry may have diminshed their emission, I don´t know whats about the plant. It might be too speculative though anyway.

https://books.google.de/books? "Diverging Paths of Developing in Central Asia." Edited by Özcan, 2017, page with Figure 7:​
Pavlodar [a region in Kazakhstan, an oblast] aluminium plant had high air emission of manganese and vanadium metal, while steel and metallurgy complexes in Termitua (Karganda oblast) emitted phenols, dust, ammonia, carbon monoxide and nitric oxides (Simenenkov 2010).​

pattismith

What's strange is that they're only reporting these cases in children. I wonder if any adults are coming down with it as well?
In a french article, a doc said that Kawasaki usually affects children under 5 years, but this covid associated Kawasaki-like caught children between 3 to 17 years in France.
In Bergame area, the first case arrived at the hospital on 21 april, more than one month after the lockdown and the maximum circulation/spreading of the virus.
This disease hapening weeks after the contact with the virus may be inflammatory, but it may be autoimmune as well!

pamojja

As far as I understand, rare Kawasaki disease kills very fast. While in the case of being initiated later by covid, it of course can kill those later too. In fact it would kill anyone of any age.