• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

molluscum contagiosum in your family?

coxy

hi, wasn't really sure where to post this?

Are there any medically trained amongst you as i found this a bit puzzling and thought worth mentioning.

As many of you know now, we are a family of 6, 2 healthy kids, 2 with me/cfs, healthyish husband and myself with me/cfs (ill after the children, i may add).

The 3 members without me/cfs have now all got the pox virus MOLLUSCUM CONTAGIOSM. If you look it up it seems to suggest people with weakened immune systems generally get this. My daughter got it first at age 11yrs, she has finally got rid of the last boils 2.5yrs later. Our youngest got it 8mths ago (age 5yrs), presumidly catching it off of her, his is still ongoing. The strangest of all is that my husband has had conjunctivitus since december2009 and finally was sent to the eye hospital yesterday, he actually asked him if he was on treatment for chlamydia, as molluscam contagiosm is usually caught by adults as a sexually tansmitted disease if it affects the eyes!! He then informed him about the children having the virus.

The 3 with me/cfs haven't caught it off of them. i wondered if this is worth talking about or a coincidence.
Molluscum contagiosm is mentioned with illnesses like AIDS.

flybro

Hi
I've never heard of this,

but i know brother had boils over his body when he was a toddler, i frequently had conjuctivitus as a kid, and could not swimming pools as it nearly always causes conjuctivitis or makes my eyes so sore and swollen i can't see.

I have dx of FM & MCS, my brother always had allergies and excema, i didn't develop allergies and asthma until adulthood along with all the CFS symptoms, the MCS and CFS symptoms started after I had a tettanus jab.

No idea if this helps, but you are right, it does seem odd.

Sing

Hi Coxy,

I have molluscum contagiosm off and on. It never causes much problem except a little itching and I don't like how it looks--little reddish bumps. But my son caught it, presumably from me, and got larger bumps which a doctor thought should be removed with liquid nitrogen (like freezing off moles). He did this, which was painful for my son. That was actually when I found out what this rash was-- My boyfriend had a very mild case of red bumps too. The rashes went away in their cases, as far as I know. Mine comes back now and then. I have been prone for years to other kinds of infections, such as fungal infections and eye infections, which indicate a weak immune system.

Sing

coxy

It makes me wonder if all of our families immune system is weakened by XMRV, 3 of them just don't have me/cfs yet, hopefully never!!
Hi Coxy,

I have molluscum contagiosm off and on. It never causes much problem except a little itching and I don't like how it looks--little reddish bumps. But my son caught it, presumably from me, and got larger bumps which a doctor thought should be removed with liquid nitrogen (like freezing off moles). He did this, which was painful for my son. That was actually when I found out what this rash was-- My boyfriend had a very mild case of red bumps too. The rashes went away in their cases, as far as I know. Mine comes back now and then. I have been prone for years to other kinds of infections, such as fungal infections and eye infections, which indicate a weak immune system.

Sing

muffin

Now I am wondering if this is the RASH that they talk about with CFIDS. I have had off and on small bumps and red rashy areas on my trunk since illness onset. I have never been told what that odd rash is or even read what that odd rash is that they keep noting with CFIDS.
Thanks for the post. Have to see what this is all about now.

Sing

Yeah, it could be. It was only that one doctor, my son's pediatrician, who told me what the rash was. It is viral and has a mind of its own. Not usually serious, was the impression I got--and experience I have had. An opportunistic virus. Does anyone know anymore about it?

Sing

coxy

Just wanted to clarify that it is the 3 members of our immediate family WITHOUT me/cfs that have the other virus i'm talking about. It looks like blisters/boils on top of the skin. They last for ages and eventually burst with a yellow kind of pussey stuff inside then they dry up and go. The blisters can get quite large and my daughter had a few painful one's which get infected. They both started the rash on their neck area, then it appears to move around the body in clusters. The blisters are quite obvious, and teachers people always notice it. Apparently we've all usually had.come into contact with this particular virus at a young age and are immune and you wouldn't even now you'd had it, i think it can show itself in various other ways.
It's just interesting to me that the 3 healthy members of our family all have it(years apart), especially unusual in a man of my husbands age(50)
Now I am wondering if this is the RASH that they talk about with CFIDS. I have had off and on small bumps and red rashy areas on my trunk since illness onset. I have never been told what that odd rash is or even read what that odd rash is that they keep noting with CFIDS.
Thanks for the post. Have to see what this is all about now.