• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MLVs(XMRV) VIRUSES ALL INTEGRATE INTO GENE SWITCHES

flybro

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by tolduiwuzsic
#1 Viruses don't want to kill you, they want to keep you alive...even barely so they can use you as a host.

bluebell > I am amazed at how similar viruses and children are;-). Also, I want Dr. Yes to wear that outfit at the We Are Finally Well Party; I am relatively certain he could rock a lame skirt.

LOL about children, too funny, and I agree about DrYes, he could make anything rock

Forbin

Originally Posted by tolduiwuzsic

#1 Viruses don't want to kill you, they want to keep you alive...even barely so they can use you as a host.

I wonder, though, if a mouse virus that may have only recently jumped to humans has had enough time to be all that optimized for success in humans. Mice and humans are both mammals, but our life spans are obviously quite different, to give just one example.

Overstressed

I wonder, though, if a mouse virus that may have only recently jumped to humans has had enough time to be all that optimized for success in humans

There are others who can correct me, but if you think of recent, then you need to think in terms of 'thousands' of years, not just 30 years ago, I think.

OS.

HopingSince88

There are others who can correct me, but if you think of recent, then you need to think in terms of 'thousands' of years, not just 30 years ago, I think.

OS.

I have heard some refer to 'thousands' of years and others mention the late 1800's for a time frame. Is it true that XMRV is endogenous only in lab mice and that it infects wild mice? If that is the case would that support the post-Louis-Pasteur time frame?

anciendaze

wild type, time scale

To the best of my knowledge, nobody has a lead on a natural reservoir of this virus at present. Even if the results were embargoed until publication, I would expect rumors of such a discovery to leak.

As for the time scale, it is longer than the time scale normally seen in laboratory contamination, where one strain is typically way ahead of others. The six known strains could come into existence in a few years, but, again, we simply don't know. It is possible mutations in almost any place destroy the ability of the virus to reproduce. There simply aren't many things you can change without impacting that ability in this particular virus.

I don't think anyone is in a position to say this came into human populations in a particular time period. I'm guessing times longer than a century.

If connection to the more severe illness I'm hypothesizing as part of the ME spectrum does turn up, then we can look for historical evidence that the virus was causing this long ago. Some signs and symptoms are really hard to ignore.

I'm not claiming any predictive ability of my own. Dr. Coffin published his own article on possible diseases linked to XMRV last October.

HopingSince88

aciendaze,

looking at the onset of possible diseases is interesting. i think it would also be interesting to look at the trend of these diseases in reverse in order to approximate a 'vanishing point.'

Forbin

These are a couple of quotes I found regarding how long ago XRMV may have made the jump to humans.

At the CROI, Dr. Goff said:

The genetic sequence of all XMRV isolates tested across the country, and across diseases, show so little divergence that the virus must have only recently jumped to humans -- likely from a point source and with limited numbers of replication cycles during transmission.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/CROI/18610

And at the CFSAC last October, Dr. Coffin said:

"The clusters and the very close relationship have implied that this transmission may have occurred quite recently and in fact we don’t know but it’s not impossible that it happens all the time, that there is some mouse out in the wild that has this as an endogenous virus and my lab has just begun to look to see if that’s true. And that the virus can be both transmitted from mouse to human and from human to human, it just all remains to be seen, but I think it’s a very important area of study to get aware of where this virus is coming from, when it got into humans and how of course it’s being transmitted among people. "

http://aboutmecfs.org/Rsrch/XMRVCoffin.aspx

It does pretty much come down to what they mean by "recently."